sharetrader
Page 57 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061671071575571057 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

They keep telling us that we should stop talking the market down....obviously no one told Ms Lagarde...

(Global) Growth is too low, trade is too low, investment is too low and unemployment still too high, Ms. Lagarde said, adding that "more implementation is urgently needed."

The IMF also warned the Fed again against raising interest rates prematurely. The fund has repeatedly said the U.S. central bank should delay a rate increase until 2016, not only because the American economy isn't ready, but also because of the global implications.

Full article

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    Ah there it is! Godwin's law...
    Hurray ! Black Monday is officially over
    Where to next ?
    Last edited by kiora; 07-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Advanced Member

Some great photos.
    http://media.ga-asi.com/photo-librar...-carousel-1903
    Seems its a privately held company anyway. Wonder who owns them ?
    Californian based company....derivative of the Google folk ?
    http://www.ga-asi.com/about-ga-asi
    Must be cool developing these things....even if the function is pretty sad.

RTM

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yes...who can ever forget Hitler. I think sending the F22's sends a signal that needs to be sent both in terms of America's support for Nato and the implied threat of retaliation against the encroachment by the Russians into Ukraine.
    There's so many things to worry about on a global basis its often hard to know what's most concerning ?
    Its ironic you mention investing in defence. I actually looked into who makes the predator drones the other day, (I think there will be stunning exponential growth in demand for weaponised drones as war's by proxy evolve in different theatre's all over the world). General Atomics...here you are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera..._MQ-1_Predator

I wouldn't mind betting they can't build these things fast enough but I don't have the stomach to invest in weapons manufacturers.

Well I suppose if you are part of the EU things still aint lookin so good.
    The unemployment number in the US is also misleading, you just need to look at the participation rate to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    They keep telling us that we should stop talking the market down....obviously no one told Ms Lagarde...

(Global) Growth is too low, trade is too low, investment is too low and unemployment still too high, Ms. Lagarde said, adding that "more implementation is urgently needed."

The IMF also warned the Fed again against raising interest rates prematurely. The fund has repeatedly said the U.S. central bank should delay a rate increase until 2016, not only because the American economy isn't ready, but also because of the global implications.

Full article
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

LOL you got me.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Some great photos.
    http://media.ga-asi.com/photo-librar...-carousel-1903
    Seems its a privately held company anyway. Wonder who owns them ?
    Californian based company....derivative of the Google folk ?
    http://www.ga-asi.com/about-ga-asi
    Must be cool developing these things....even if the function is pretty sad.
    RTM
    WOW thanks for that mate...some scary looking photo's there especially the ones with small missiles underwing
    Its a sad world where we need these things to try and maintain some sort of order. If they ever make those things capable of deploying a tactical small nuke then we could have a really serious problem brewing...one more thing to worry about.

Oil smashed again, not a great signal.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Oil smashed again, not a great signal.
    Good for Airlines though.

Yep & the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Good for Airlines though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Yep & the consumer.
    How do you figure that the consumer is getting the benefit? I'm paying almost the same at the pump as when oil was north of US$100 per barrel. Now it's in the US$40's.

Importer margins have increased hugely, the oil companies are simply keeping the profit

Forex only explains a fraction of the price gouging

If it's happening in NZ, it's happening elsewhere. Big oil are slowing world growth by doing this
    Last edited by xafalcon; 08-09-2015 at 08:53 AM.

I don't think Roger's statement falls under the ambit of Godwin's law, at least not according to Wikipaedia: "Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Nazis – often referred to as "playing the Hitler card"."