sharetrader
Page 572 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 7247252256256856957057157257357457557658262267210721572 ... LastLast
Results 5,711 to 5,720 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    one tweet and we are back to the bottom of the range

Trump Says He’s Poised to Escalate China Trade War Within Hours

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

Dow drops 550 points after Trump orders US manufacturers to move from China

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/23/us-s...me-powell.html

looks like a bad monday coming if trump retaliates on the weekend
    Trump now believes he is the "chosen one" and we do not need China.
    With Hongkong,Brexit added the future is increasingly unpredictable.
    I will predict some ex-pats/dual citizens will start to return to NZ and maybe we have one of the safest economies.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Trump now believes he is the "chosen one" and we do not need China.
    With Hongkong,Brexit added the future is increasingly unpredictable.
    I will predict some ex-pats/dual citizens will start to return to NZ and maybe we have one of the safest economies.
    Hong Kong is a minor economic event really - played up by the Western media, especially UK, to try and pressure & humiliate China. Not going to work as China has already said history will not be allowed to be repeated for the 100 years of humiliation & exploitation by the West & Japan.

Which leads us to the trade war initiated by US & Trump - same frame of mind from China leaders will apply. Don't expect them to back down.

And Trump cannot back down now so there's only one thing which will happen - a race to the bottom which will be reached by the US first.

Fasten your seat belts and prepare yourselves for a very very hard landing - it is going to happen.

And the sooner we hit bottom, the better.

Agree with you, Fish, that NZ is in a comfortable manageable little spot* - safe haven in every way from all that BS and turmoil.

* Plenty of scope to borrow cheap money with our low government debt to provide some cushion against the hard landing.
    Last edited by Balance; 24-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Imagine the rebound economic growth once it's all over.

Quote Originally Posted by NZSilver View Post
    Imagine the rebound economic growth once it's all over.
    Will not be over until Trump is out of office - so could be 2021 or 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Will not be over until Trump is out of office - so could be 2021 or 2025.
    It isn't just Trump, check out Elizabeth Warren's views when it comes to trade and China. If chosen as the democrat nominee, and she is a decent chance to be, she would have a good shot at beating Trump, but the idea that the trade war would die with her election is not supported by her policy mix and world view.

Then of course, there is Trump winning a second term. With the extent of his narcissism, validated by re-election, I would expect him to start campaigning for a third term the following day!
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    It isn't just Trump, check out Elizabeth Warren's views when it comes to trade and China. If chosen as the democrat nominee, and she is a decent chance to be, she would have a good shot at beating Trump, but the idea that the trade war would die with her election is not supported by her policy mix and world view.

Then of course, there is Trump winning a second term. With the extent of his narcissism, validated by re-election, I would expect him to start campaigning for a third term the following day!
    Agreed - the Democrats will of course still continue with the trade war - as the West should. China has gotten away with so many trade violations for far too long.

Difference with any President other than Trump is that it will be done behind the scenes and we will not see the Trump demi-god-to-be's whipsawing* pronouncements.

That in itself will be a giant leap for resolution of the trade war.

My reading is that as a people, the Chinese are prepared to put up with hardships - it's in their psychic. I do not sense any will on the part of the Americans to bear any hardships - they have been borrowing ever larger sums of monies to maintain their standard of living.

Let's just hope as some are already speculating that the trade war does not lead to a world war.

* Don't you just love his Greenland shenanigans? How to make enemies out of friends and lose winnable wars!
    Last edited by Balance; 24-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.

He considers himself to be the "chosen one". Oh my goodness.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    He considers himself to be the "chosen one". Oh my goodness.
    I'm yet to see him turn water into wine or walk on water for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Don't you just love his Greenland shenanigans? How to make enemies out of friends and lose winnable wars!
    At first this made no sense at all, then I realised that USA history lessons will cover how USA came to have 50 states. If Trump managed to buy Greenland and turn it into the 51st state of America, history books for the next 100+ years would have no choice but to continue talking about Trump. What a legacy.
    QED

In the absence of some big achievement, history could be written with him being no more than a past president with a patchy record for what he achieved and a legacy of using Twitter to make policy announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    At first this made no sense at all, then I realised that USA history lessons will cover how USA came to have 50 states. If Trump managed to buy Greenland and turn it into the 51st state of America, history books for the next 100+ years would have no choice but to continue talking about Trump. What a legacy.
    QED

In the absence of some big achievement, history could be written with him being no more than a past president with a patchy record for what he achieved and a legacy of using Twitter to make policy announcements.
    Just reclaiming it .....many of the people on Greenland are descendants of Inuits ....and ohysical geography wise Greenland is part of North America anyway.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”