sharetrader
Page 58 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162681081585581058 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Good for Airlines though.
    Yep..its great news for the AirNZ's competitors

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Yep..its great news for the AirNZ's competitors
    A rising tide lifts all boats,Air is well positioned.
    Last edited by couta1; 08-09-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    For those Buy and Hold advocates - a simple exercise in maths.
    http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post590348
    I have to say I am surprised a post like this is even needed! That being said, reading this forum it is clear that there are a number of people who simply have zilch in the way of exit strategies. I hope it makes some people think but I wouldn't hold my breath!
    Last edited by twotic; 08-09-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    A rising tide lifts all boats,Air is well positioned.
    rising tide? You might well be right, but maybe we need to change the name of the thread ... what about "Golden Tuesday"?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 08-09-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added reference to quotation
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Markets are very brave when the DOW is on holiday

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    For those Buy and Hold advocates - a simple exercise in maths.
    http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post590348
    Yes, but ... it is equally easy to find examples where shares have less clear rises and drops - and you actually would loose money if you follow a strategy of buying and selling every time you pass your chosen MA. Only with the benefit of hindsight can you decide whether a particular break through is significant or not - and if you wait for additional indicators, than the margin gets still slimmer, than it often is.

If there would be a fool proof strategy, than we all would be millionaires (well, maybe we are?)
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

just depends on what currency KW--Just been to Laos where the kip is 8200 to the $us

Meanwhile I also think the DOW (futures) is a brave market in light of whats going on in China.

Im waiting for the new best seller in the states ''Buy-Hold-Prey''

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Yes, but ... it is equally easy to find examples where shares have less clear rises and drops - and you actually would loose money if you follow a strategy of buying and selling every time you pass your chosen MA. Only with the benefit of hindsight can you decide whether a particular break through is significant or not - and if you wait for additional indicators, than the margin gets still slimmer, than it often is.

If there would be a fool proof strategy, than we all would be millionaires (well, maybe we are?)
    Would be nice if KW had come up with a full proof strategy to make us all insanely rich, however she does provide an example which is roughly representative of what you would expect on aggregate (the trend at least) right? That would be the point I take out of her post anyway.

I don't think anyone will get rich using a moving average crossover system in the long run - easy in hindsight to fit some averages but considering they are lagging indicators and most markets trade sideways most off the time your end up losing the majority of the time.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guys if I was you I would take particular note to KWs posts. As someone said to me once "just shut up and listen, you will learn a lot" KW is not saying it always works but is giving you some very useful tools to aid your decision making when investing. I find KWs information superb, and personally rate KW in the among the top posters on ST. And I know KW like others does a lot of research and it is great it they share all the good stuff on here. Also there is a post somewhere when KW declares their portfolio popped past 1 million, it was a while back so I'd say it was north of their before the recent sell up - so KW obviously has a very successful strategy. Thankful again KW

I've only been investing 4 years and in my mid twenties, but have implemented people's advice on ST, by sorting it from some of the not so good advice which I have also acted on in the past - and regretted it. KW ta signals do aid in investing, I've looked retrospectively on some investments I've made - some bad / some good. And if is followed some TA analysis with my fundamental investing strategy I would be better off, but I have done very well from the markets as ove been buying in a bull market which I didn't realise when I first started investing.

Time to get back to my book Using Technical Analysis which I bought from the hospice for $1 a few years ago but it sat around unread - should have picked it up earlier - it's got some great stuff
    Last edited by NZSilver; 08-09-2015 at 01:48 PM.