sharetrader
Page 606 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 10650655659660260360460560660760860961061665670611061606 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Quite a gnarly day on the markets today and Aussie got belted with the ugly stick too.
    Dow futures currently down ~ 380 points so not looking good for tomorrow.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Quite a gnarly day on the markets today and Aussie got belted with the ugly stick too.
    Dow futures currently down ~ 380 points so not looking good for tomorrow.
    Yep looking forward to spending the rest of my money tomorrow as the panic continues then it's time to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Yep looking forward to spending the rest of my money tomorrow as the panic continues then it's time to go fishing.
    It won't be so much fun fishing off the wharf ? Might pay to keep a bit of powder dry and go and charter a nice boat in the Marlborough sounds and take a break from the market next week.

Market has enjoyed a fantastic run for the last 11 years, especially a stellar year in 2019 and even the first bit of 2020. Sometimes it just pays to sit back and accept that the tide doesn't always come in (if you'll excuse the expression), and maybe this black swan event marks the turning of the tide...i.e. the market is now just starting to behave rationally to the likely significant global and local economic fallout of this new virus.

This old dog is too tired to swim against the tide, its too much hard work especially seeing as my preferred swimming technique is dog paddle
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-02-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

European sell off - German Dax and British Ftse100 down by over 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    DOW Futures not looking good either...720pts down as i type....will be very interesting day ahead tomorrow....

dr beat me to it above...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    "An interesting reading from the Ifo Institute in Germany: its widely followed business climate indicator has actually beaten expectations – a reminder, perhaps, that the much of the coronavirus’s financial effects so far are down to fear, uncertainty and doubt.
    The Ifo’s business climate reading came in at 96.1 points, compared with a Reuters consensus forecast for a fall to 95.3. The institute is sticking to its first-quarter growth forecast of 0.2%. Ifo president Clemens Fuest said in a statement:

The German economy seems unaffected by developments surrounding the coronavirus." The Guardian

- so not all doom and gloom in Europe this morning.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 24-02-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dr_ View Post
    DOW Futures not looking good either...720pts down as i type....will be very interesting day ahead tomorrow....
    Exciting is the word I use although I only expect around a 1% fall on the NZX and ASX.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Exciting is the word I use although I only expect around a 1% fall on the NZX and ASX.
    As usual some panic selling in first hour of opening on NZX and then recovering

A little bit of rebalancing every now and then not the worst thing. Funny how quickly sentiment can change, in a week it could be back to full steam ahead. 700 point drop at the open for the dow, nasdaq is worse on a % equivalent.

I'm hoping for a bit of a lull period at least a quarter or two of sideways or slight downwards movement.