sharetrader
Page 642 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 14254259263263863964064164264364464564665269274211421642 ... LastLast
Results 6,411 to 6,420 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

futures positive now
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

What happened on the Aussie market, crazy. everything was about 8% down, went to the shop and came back and saw some up over 10% Amazing turnaround

I genuinely believe in 6 months you're all going to be kicking yourselves for not taking advantage of this fire sale. Talk of great depressions lmao please.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/277216

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    What happened on the Aussie market, crazy. everything was about 8% down, went to the shop and came back and saw some up over 10% Amazing turnaround
    Its time for the quote

"Stocks will fluctuate"

Last edited by peat; 13-03-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

US futures spiked up aggressively at around 4.30/5 so the very oversold Aussie stocks got pounced on.

Futures have since calmed down a bit, tomorrow being a Friday in the states will be interesting!

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    I genuinely believe in 6 months you're all going to be kicking yourselves for not taking advantage of this fire sale. Talk of great depressions lmao please.
    Interesting article... thanks for sharing.
    FWIW I don't hold for the armageddon theories and share your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post

What fire sale ? Market was on a record forward PE of 32.5 so has probably come down to about 30, (taking into account earnings decline from the recession we're probably already in). Ten year average is only 18. This is only a fire sale for people who don't have the perspective to understand normal metrics that aren't inflated by a decade on central bank intervention and support.

There are people on here who have no idea what a real fire sale is.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-03-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Many base metals rallied today from oversold level's. Aussie market has been a real underperformer...just got a bit oversold today and corrected. Plenty more to come to the downside in the months ahead in my opinion for all markets.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    What fire sale ? Market was on a record forward PE of 32.5 so has probably come down to about 30, (taking into account earnings decline from the recession we're probably already in). Ten year average is only 18. This is only a fire sale for people who don't have the perspective to understand normal metrics that aren't inflated by a decade on central bank intervention and support.

There are people on here who have no idea what a real fire sale is.
    But that central bank intervention isn't going anywhere, expect even more if it. Do you not think the reason we got here in the first place can not be one of the reasons we'll stay? Cash may be king for now but it's got to go somewhere and I expect once the panicking has subdued a lot of it will find it's way back into markets.

P.S congratz on your timing, you really did nail this one.

Thanks. Central banks have no choice but to continue the policies that got us into this overpriced mess to start with but I don't think interest rate cuts will do any good as we're so close to zero it won't matter. Fiscal stimulus is the answer but it needs to be carefully targeted.

Lets be honest, nobody knows how long it takes for things to get back to normal but its extremely unlikely to be anytime in the very near future. My core investment thesis when I sold out in early February was that it was highly likely the market as a whole would be materially lower three months from then. I still hold that view, despite the falls to date. At this stage my strategy is a fairly simple one and that revolves around minimising downside risk on reentry and being very selective about ensuring reacquired companies have a robust balance sheet and business franchise that can withstand difficult economic conditions.

Stay in cash and short term deposits for the immediate future and seeing as future earnings are difficult to predict in this environment, let the market tell me when its likely a bottom may be in for the stocks I want to reacquire. I'll probably use the 30 day MA as my core TA indicator.

There was already one very good looking opportunity that presented itself today that I very nearly pulled the trigger on, but I reminded myself to ignore the sexy looking blonde with the very short skirt that could get me in huge trouble and stay married to the discipline of ensuring I take a careful approach to de-risking my reentry properly.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-03-2020 at 11:34 PM.