sharetrader
Page 71 of 1902 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475811211715711071 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    thinking of a steers bum first thing in the morning is almost as disturbing as checking on the US markets
    With beef at $5.80/kg a steers bum looks as good to me as a fist full of $100 notes.

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    You should give it a go. Albeit with small positions, don't bet the bank. Do your research, then practice. Its how you learn. If you plan on being in the sharemarket for a long term (likely another 40 years for me) then you need a lot of skills and strategies that you can run with.
    True, I agree. It's likely to be another 50+ years for me so I plan to add skills, try and learn as I go but I was also thinking that it may be wise for me to take it easy on the next (this?) downward cycle and spend more time on the sidelines observing what happens. Having only started investing in 2013 I have no experience in medium to large corrections or bear markets and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps if I get a good handle on what happens this time, I'll be more experienced, comfortable and confident to apply different and more aggressive strategies the next time around. Although taking a quiet stroll down the back roads also doesn't seem so bad and you're right sometimes the most enjoyable road is the scenic route you didn't intend on taking.

Advanced Member

Why is everyone acting like something unusual is happening? The markets are just going up and down like they always do. This thread has moved into very strange territory

Sounds very sensible Bobby Moroccco. My first year of work and exposure to the stock market was 1988 just post the big crash.
    You will learn far more from big corrections or market collapses than at any other time.
    You appear to have the right temperament so good luck to you.
    Two words I think some up trading or investing.
    Discipline & patience.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorocco View Post
    True, I agree. It's likely to be another 50+ years for me so I plan to add skills, try and learn as I go but I was also thinking that it may be wise for me to take it easy on the next (this?) downward cycle and spend more time on the sidelines observing what happens. Having only started investing in 2013 I have no experience in medium to large corrections or bear markets and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps if I get a good handle on what happens this time, I'll be more experienced, comfortable and confident to apply different and more aggressive strategies the next time around. Although taking a quiet stroll down the back roads also doesn't seem so bad and you're right sometimes the most enjoyable road is the scenic route you didn't intend on taking.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Why is everyone acting like something unusual is happening? The markets are just going up and down like they always do. This thread has moved into very strange territory
    Your not wrong ratkin but then its human nature to turn nothing into something, my red arrow gets bigger and smaller and bigger again so its all just run of the mill stuff as far as I'm concerned. PS- Some big divvys will be hitting my bank account over the next few weeks so all good.

I'm back at home too. Safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to become poor, but that means I'm not going to get rich right at this moment either. I'm okay with that. I have been considering taking another approach and taking the back roads so to speak but I'm not sure enough in my mind to know what the right road to take is so I think I'll just stay safe in the comforts of home.

It's actually tremendously difficult for one to sit and do nothing for extended periods of time. The mind likes to be active and will often tell you that you must do something, anything, even if you don't know what to do. It tries to make you believe that doing something is better than doing nothing at all.
    I've been thinking for a while that I might try a little experiment and I think one of these days soon might be the right time for me try it. I'm going to take a vow of silence for a week. That means no talking, no singing, no humming, no listening to music, no reading, no internet, no tv or screens (except for a few selected games of the rugby world cup which I will watch in silence). It's just going to be me and the little voice inside my head for an entire week! The only communication I will have with anyone will be through body language and the notepad and pen I will carry. Although I will try and use writing for communicating as little as possible. The notepad and pen is more for me to write down any thoughts I may have about what's going on in my head so at the end of the experiment I've got something to go back to, study and analyze if I have the desire to do so. It will be my record of the experiment.

The reason I'm doing this is because I think it will be interesting to see how my mind works when I give it an extended period of silence. A period which is well outside it's comfort zone. I expect this challenge will be quite difficult but if I can complete it I think it will help train my mind to do as I want it to do, rather than the other way around. I'm trying to tell my mind that sometimes it's okay to sit and do absolutely nothing..... hopefully I don't go insane.... or perhaps I'm already there ;-)

I know it doesn't directly relate to the sharemarket but I know a few here understand the role psychology plays in investments, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever undertaken a similar challenge/experiment or had similar prolonged periods of silence?

If so I'd be interested to hear about your experience and any thoughts people have on my experiment.
    Interesting post. I'd love to just get off the grid for a week and ponder where to from here. Sometimes, in fact far too often I think its easy to let the noise of the marketplace drown out what's truly important in life.

Guru

I'm back at home too. Safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to become poor, but that means I'm not going to get rich right at this moment either. I'm okay with that. I have been considering taking another approach and taking the back roads so to speak but I'm not sure enough in my mind to know what the right road to take is so I think I'll just stay safe in the comforts of home.

It's actually tremendously difficult for one to sit and do nothing for extended periods of time. The mind likes to be active and will often tell you that you must do something, anything, even if you don't know what to do. It tries to make you believe that doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

I've been thinking for a while that I might try a little experiment and I think one of these days soon might be the right time for me try it. I'm going to take a vow of silence for a week. That means no talking, no singing, no humming, no listening to music, no reading, no internet, no tv or screens (except for a few selected games of the rugby world cup which I will watch in silence). It's just going to be me and the little voice inside my head for an entire week! The only communication I will have with anyone will be through body language and the notepad and pen I will carry. Although I will try and use writing for communicating as little as possible. The notepad and pen is more for me to write down any thoughts I may have about what's going on in my head so at the end of the experiment I've got something to go back to, study and analyze if I have the desire to do so. It will be my record of the experiment.

The reason I'm doing this is because I think it will be interesting to see how my mind works when I give it an extended period of silence. A period which is well outside it's comfort zone. I expect this challenge will be quite difficult but if I can complete it I think it will help train my mind to do as I want it to do, rather than the other way around. I'm trying to tell my mind that sometimes it's okay to sit and do absolutely nothing..... hopefully I don't go insane.... or perhaps I'm already there ;-)

I know it doesn't directly relate to the sharemarket but I know a few here understand the role psychology plays in investments, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever undertaken a similar challenge/experiment or had similar prolonged periods of silence?

If so I'd be interested to hear about your experience and any thoughts people have on my experiment.
    the noise is not just the share market --the noise is inside our head for everything---maybe consider a 10 day meditation course--its not a walk in the park but if your that way inclined you can PM me for details-(Its not any form of religion-just working on disciplining the mind(they say it makes a much better servant ,than master)-otherwise good luck on your experiment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Interesting post. I'd love to just get off the grid for a week and ponder where to from here. Sometimes, in fact far too often I think its easy to let the noise of the marketplace drown out what's truly important in life.
    spot on Roger--These are just some economic roads--there are plenty of other roads that have absolutely stunning scenery(really important things in life)
    Ive noticed that many posters ,when hearing about what some think is the dire state of things economically,make the mistake of thinking we dont know these other roads exist.--Of course these roads are a metaphor but in terms of the literal-go back and look at my ''crises what crises'' post on this thread--Its only a road ,but a dang nice one(its the cultural rewards of the trip that really hit home) but im sure everyone has there equivalent. (post 545)
    Last edited by skid; 20-09-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Guru

Im amazed at our NZ markets ability to stay somehow insulated from all this---The OZ market is sure not liking Fridays results

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    Check this place out - http://medini.dhamma.org/
    Its a free 10 day course (donation expected though). But should do the trick. There are other Vipissana centres if that one doesnt suit.
    Thanks KW. Looks like a REAL "off the grid" experience. Don't bother even taking your watch. Anyone done this or something like it ?