sharetrader
Page 760 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 26066071075075675775875976076176276376477081086012601760 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,600 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    It's all a matter of disclosure - great to have traders who provide liquidity and great to have investors who provide long term stability and sustainable performances on the market.

The ones who ramp up and down are obviously traders or market manipulators and it is up to posters and investors to know who they are - and treat their postings accordingly.

Garbage IN, Garbage OUT.
    Exactly ,ive assumed you are a trader.Bull openly is ,many are not open.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I could not care a hoot what you think.

More important to me that I keep faith with the many posters who have followed and thanked me over the years for providing them with my open & transparent opinions.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-05-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Frankly, rather disappointed that you, arc, did not complete the comparison when requested to disclose the full picture of how NZ is doing - since you have the data set.

We are doing well but not as well as we are led to believe.

For completeness, I have done it and it shows (per 100,000):

Deaths
    Taiwan 0.03
    Hong Kong 0.05
    Australia 0.39
    New Zealand 0.43
    Japan 0.45
    South Korea 0.50

Infected:
    Taiwan 1.8
    Hong Kong 13.9
    Australia 27.2
    New Zealand 30.5
    Japan 12.3
    South Korea 21.1

And we know that Taiwan, Hong Kong and Australia have not had to close down the economies to the extent that NZ has, to achieve BETTER results than NZ.

And it has nothing to do with whether it's National or Labour who is in power - it's about doing better than we have done.

What can we learn from them and do even better than we have.

Lets' raise our sight higher, shall we - rather than be forever comparing ourselves with the worse rather than the best.
    Thank you for expanding the data and displaying a more accurate portrayal. Mine was just the first few I had memorised. There is/was no slight intended for anyone or any political party, merely my random thoughts on the situation that we as a nation have been remarkably unscathed in this unfortunate event that must now be turned into a sole searching opportunity to reevaluate "who is NZ" and "where is NZ going". What is our role both nationally and as a global entity. We may need to redefine and restructure aspects of the nation. As such going forward, your last two lines of text are particularly appropriate at this present time.

I agree we should raise the bar and take stock of what we have and where we are going.
    Times are going to be tough

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Thank you for expanding the data and displaying a more accurate portrayal. Mine was just the first few I had memorised. There is/was no slight intended for anyone or any political party, merely my random thoughts on the situation that we as a nation have been remarkably unscathed in this unfortunate event that must now be turned into a sole searching opportunity to reevaluate "who is NZ" and "where is NZ going". What is our role both nationally and as a global entity. We may need to redefine and restructure aspects of the nation. As such going forward, your last two lines of text are particularly appropriate at this present time.

I agree we should raise the bar and take stock of what we have and where we are going.
    Times are going to be tough
    Always find your infor useful, arc so please continue to provide and update.

We are heading into a terribly bad situation - the likes of which most NZers have not experienced since the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Luckily the country has the capacity to throw a lot of money to cushion the blow for those worse affected but the pain of massive unemployment and all the associated hardships are going to scar & diminish the dreams, hopes and aspirations of a whole generation of NZers - unless this recession is properly managed and handled.

We have no choice - we have to do better than what we have done to date.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    ...must now be turned into a sole searching opportunity to reevaluate "who is NZ" and "where is NZ going". What is our role both nationally and as a global entity. We may need to redefine and restructure aspects of the nation.
    IMHO this is a highly idealistic idea and something NZ has shown itself to be terrible at following through on for decades. Just one example - how many talking heads have championed a transition to a knowledge economy for NZ over the years? Hits all the rights notes doesn't it but in practice? Cows, land trading and logs still keep the wolf from the door, uptake and capability of school kids in STEM literacy is marginal, jobs and career advancement for STEM graduates is both scarce and underwhelming. A Xero here and a Rocket Lab there are outliers. The overwhelming wealth and influence in the country is tied up in a sunset generation which by and large has shown a dogged determination to revert to the mean. I think the soul searching will occur organically with the shifting of demographics not in some sort of national epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by mp52 View Post
    IMHO this is a highly idealistic idea and something NZ has shown itself to be terrible at following through on for decades. Just one example - how many talking heads have championed a transition to a knowledge economy for NZ over the years? Hits all the rights notes doesn't it but in practice? Cows, land trading and logs still keep the wolf from the door, uptake and capability of school kids in STEM literacy is marginal, jobs and career advancement for STEM graduates is both scarce and underwhelming. A Xero here and a Rocket Lab there are outliers. The overwhelming wealth and influence in the country is tied up in a sunset generation which by and large has shown a dogged determination to revert to the mean. I think the soul searching will occur organically with the shifting of demographics not in some sort of national epiphany.
    Well said. Not just STEM but other knowledge workers and other young professionals leave to places where they are paid commensurate to their skills and find interesting life experiences. NZ'rs are notoriously tight fisted and also natural given we live in the antipodes of where the 'action is'. It will be interesting to see if a de-globalisation goes as far as keeping the IP in NZ or whether it continues to be exported. Further NZ has an enviable ability to create but are woeful at make - often we have no choice but to off shore this

Veteran novice

IMHO this is a highly idealistic idea and something NZ has shown itself to be terrible at following through on for decades.
    Indeed! Back in the late 60's we used to debate this subject, or a variation on the theme, in Jaycees - remember them? Mind you, Britain joining the Common Market was the threat in those days and people worried about how little old NZ would fare without Imperial Preference for our agricultural exports. Diversify! was the answer but somehow something in the ag sector always turned up and saved the day without too many hard decisions having to be taken. Has the lesson been learned?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Indeed! Back in the late 60's we used to debate this subject, or a variation on the theme, in Jaycees - remember them? Mind you, Britain joining the Common Market was the threat in those days and people worried about how little old NZ would fare without Imperial Preference for our agricultural exports. Diversify! was the answer but somehow something in the ag sector always turned up and saved the day without too many hard decisions having to be taken. Has the lesson been learned?
    Britain has left the EU now...and is having fairly rancorous discussions with the EU...so maybe they will be back on the NZ doorstep with a begging bowl looking for food for its 60 million-odd people?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 07-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Britain has left the EU now...and is having fairly rancorous discussions with the EU...so maybe they will be back on the NZ doorstep with a begging bowl looking for food for its 60 million-odd people?
    About as likely as NZ sending our first man to Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    If this government continues to side with US in the row with China, there is a very good chance that NZ will be forced to find ways to diversify.

So keep the fingers crossed that China retaliates - then the hard decision is made for NZ. It will be the best thing to happen to NZ for the long term. 👍
    Last edited by Balance; 07-05-2020 at 03:28 PM.