sharetrader
Page 833 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 33373378382382983083183283383483583683784388393313331833 ... LastLast
Results 8,321 to 8,330 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Most, nearly all, get it and hardly notice during or after,
    Some get it and impacts carry on,
    A very few die.

There fixed it for you.
    Quite wrong.

Sure - there is a significant number of asymptomatic cases, and they seem to be quite fine (other then infecting others).

However - most people who do get the symptoms describe it more like "being hit by a bus". Think a pretty bad flu ... and if you just check that the average time to suffer from this virus is around 28 days - this is clearly worse than the flu. Ask your big hero Boris ... I hear he had a near death experience.

Some people (including healthy athletes) do suffer for months under weakness / heart conditions and continue to do so. Whether they will fully recover - nobody knows (due to the short time the virus is so far around):
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ng-months.html

A significant percentage of the patients who had been hospitalised suffer under heart damage (well above 10% according to several studies - check link below), blood clots (including stroke), lung damage, neurological symptoms:

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...health-effects

And a not insignificant number of people in risk groups are dying (from memory still around 10% in the group above 80). Risk groups are people of old age (70+), people with diabetes, people with immune deficiencies, people with heart conditions and similar (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...onditions.html). Roughly one third of the population.

Listening to your posts (the few I still read) you sound like somebody who does not care for other people - and you probably don't have friends either, i.e. nobody you care for would be at risk. However, just wondering - we all grow older and for you (male, white, privileged and around the 60ķes) is it another 10 years or so until you end up to be in the high risk group.

I take it that you would not mind if society would at that stage risk your health and life? Or is it just the health of other people you don't care about?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Labour to bring back top 39 per cent income tax rate

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300102796/election-2020-labour-to-bring-back-top-39-per-cent-income-tax-rate
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Most, nearly all, get it and hardly notice during or after,
    Some get it and impacts carry on,
    A very few die.

There fixed it for you.

With respect, unfortunately you're back to a myopic viewpoint on a very big topic.
    If you're really interested & really want to get informed, suggest you study the repeated economic & health impacts of pandemics throughout history, from cholera in Naples, to Yellow Fever in the US, to Covid 19.
    Believe it or not, a case built on a few young athletes in peak physical condition at the US Open doesn't really cut it & tbh sounds like a joke.
    Putting aside the very obvious crushing overloading of health systems, hospitals, infections of doctors & nurses etc, the fear of these pandemics throughout history, drastically changes the behaviour of populations with severe economic consequences.
    The research quoted in Bloomberg was based on 2.25 million businesses, illustrating how the fear of catching the virus has the greatest impact on businesses, even greater than Govt imposed Lockdowns, with any increase in the death rate correlating with a pattern of a downturn in commerce with people generally being more careful about spending & holding onto their money, avoiding businesses avoiding eating out, avoiding flying, cruises etc.
    Pandemics thrive in densely populated areas which are also commercial centres.
    Fear is a huge driver of human behaviour.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Quite wrong.

Sure - there is a significant number of asymptomatic cases, and they seem to be quite fine (other then infecting others).

However - most people who do get the symptoms describe it more like "being hit by a bus". Think a pretty bad flu ... and if you just check that the average time to suffer from this virus is around 28 days - this is clearly worse than the flu. Ask your big hero Boris ... I hear he had a near death experience.

Some people (including healthy athletes) do suffer for months under weakness / heart conditions and continue to do so. Whether they will fully recover - nobody knows (due to the short time the virus is so far around):
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ng-months.html

A significant percentage of the patients who had been hospitalised suffer under heart damage (well above 10% according to several studies - check link below), blood clots (including stroke), lung damage, neurological symptoms:

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...health-effects

And a not insignificant number of people in risk groups are dying (from memory still around 10% in the group above 80). Risk groups are people of old age (70+), people with diabetes, people with immune deficiencies, people with heart conditions and similar (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...onditions.html). Roughly one third of the population.

Listening to your posts (the few I still read) you sound like somebody who does not care for other people - and you probably don't have friends either, i.e. nobody you care for would be at risk. However, just wondering - we all grow older and for you (male, white, privileged and around the 60ķes) is it another 10 years or so until you end up to be in the high risk group.

I take it that you would not mind if society would at that stage risk your health and life? Or is it just the health of other people you don't care about?
    Like you said, most people are asymptomatic. So like I said, Most do not have any affects etc. Thats all.

I do care a lot about others. But caring is not being myopic and looking at one factor. I care a lot about those that have lost businesses, those that cannot travel to visit family that need them, friends of mine that have been diagnosed with cancer but its too late because of covid restrictions etc etc. I could go on ad nauseum. If people are going to use faulty science and bad maths to create a dystopian society then well that's their choice. I just choose not to participate in that nonsense. You are way off with age, colour and other identity issues that are well, boring and irrelevant.

NZ 10 yr bond is crashing down 12% at the moment 2 yr right on zero ... something big must be happening

Like you said, most people are asymptomatic. So like I said, Most do not have any affects etc. Thats all.

I do care a lot about others. But caring is not being myopic and looking at one factor. I care a lot about those that have lost businesses, those that cannot travel to visit family that need them, friends of mine that have been diagnosed with cancer but its too late because of covid restrictions etc etc. I could go on ad nauseum. If people are going to use faulty science and bad maths to create a dystopian society then well that's their choice. I just choose not to participate in that nonsense. You are way off with age, colour and other identity issues that are well, boring and irrelevant.
    As Blue Skies stated above ... there is plenty of research showing that in previous pandemics the economic damage was always significantly worse in countries / areas where people allowed the virus (or earlier the bug - bubonic plague) to spread. Just check out some literature about the Spanish flu, about cholera epidemics or about the plague ...

If you really care about people than you should not undermine sensible protection against this virus (as you do) ... and you clearly should not minimise the risks (as you do).
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Labour to bring back top 39 per cent income tax rate

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300102796/election-2020-labour-to-bring-back-top-39-per-cent-income-tax-rate
    Re Covid-19 Labour's recovery policy
    Jacinda "..we the team of 5 million can do this if we all play our part......"
    Grant "....we the team of 50,000 can do this if we all pay our part......"

Ref...People earning wages and salaries in New Zealand By taxable income band, year ended March 2019, number of people
    Last edited by Hoop; 09-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    As Blue Skies stated above ... there is plenty of research showing that in previous pandemics the economic damage was always significantly worse in countries / areas where people allowed the virus (or earlier the bug - bubonic plague) to spread. Just check out some literature about the Spanish flu, about cholera epidemics or about the plague ...

If you really care about people than you should not undermine sensible protection against this virus (as you do) ... and you clearly should not minimise the risks (as you do).
    Cholera and the bubonic plague are hardly on a par with covid, which kills about 0.001 percent of healthy people under the age of 60

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    NZ 10 yr bond is crashing down 12% at the moment 2 yr right on zero ... something big must be happening
    I cant see anything to support this comment myself. But if so... RBNZ is starting LSAP? or maybe there is a rate set today for one of these upcoming corporate bonds.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I cant see anything to support this comment myself. But if so... RBNZ is starting LSAP? or maybe there is a rate set today for one of these upcoming corporate bonds.
    https://www.investing.com/rates-bond...ars-bond-yield

probably the LSAP like you say 750 million a week they are buying supposedly so driving the rates lower like they want