sharetrader
Page 868 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 36876881885886486586686786886987087187287891896813681868 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,680 of 18996

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

I would have thought this news snippet From Seeking Alpha (13th Nov 4.40am ET) would have made front page news in NZ..but apparently NZ hair shampoo, Fran's opinion on Chris Luxon, and Mary's view on retiring at 40 years are the business headlines in the NZH for today.

Hmmm...The News seems genuine but I cant sight it in other Country's newspapers either..maybe yet to be announced?

Largest Free Trade Deal Ever To Be Signed This Weekend

Highlights:
    1...China to sign a mega trade deal this weekend with Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand together with 10 ASEAN member countries.
    2...This Economic Partnership, covers 30% of global GDP and trade.
    3...Objective of this deal is to reduce tariffs, strengthen supply chains and organise new e-commerce rules.
    4...Covers many economies and goods.
    5...Negotiations have been on going for years.
    Last edited by Hoop; 14-11-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I would have thought this news snippet From Seeking Alpha (13th Nov 4.40am ET) would have made front page news in NZ..but apparently NZ hair shampoo, Fran's opinion on Chris Luxon, and Mary's view on retiring at 40 years are the business headlines in the NZH for today.

Hmmm...The News seems genuine but I cant sight it in other Country's newspapers either..maybe yet to be announced?

Highlights:
    1...China to sign a mega trade deal this weekend with Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand together with 10 ASEAN member countries.
    3...Objective of this deal is to reduce tariffs, strengthen supply chains and organise new e-commerce rules.
    Interesting find. Though there used to be an article in bloomberg 2 days ago ... that's probably where seeking alpha got it from:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hored-by-china

and the BBC chimed in as well:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54899254

Otherwise - silence. Very unusual.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Highlights:
    Finally got some NZ Media attention after Sunday's signing of the Agreement.

No real public media fanfare nor any tangible specifics for something that theoretically is going to add 1% to our GDP growth...Oh well ...At least it may help to add $2 billion to counter the loss of $10 Billion (GDP)..(so far) during the 2019-2020 period.

And here’s a nice summary of why the US markets continue to head higher:

"About 90% of S&P 500 companies have reported earnings and IBES estimate that profits fell 7.8% from last year. That’s bad, but not as bad as earlier expectations for decline of over 20%."

Plus we all know that Central Banks and governments are on standby to flood the markets and economies with as much money as needed to cushion the pandemic fallout.
    Last edited by Balance; 16-11-2020 at 09:04 AM.

I had read about that trade deal Hoop - though I cant recall where exactly.
    It is in Businessdesk this morning behind the pay wall of course. https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/e...nal-trade-deal
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I had read about that trade deal Hoop - though I cant recall where exactly.
    It is in Businessdesk this morning behind the pay wall of course. https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/e...nal-trade-deal
    Interesting news* especially With Brexit and Trump trying to destroy trade co-operation on the other sides of the World.

*As long as labour, environmental and other standards are not compromised...
    Last edited by Bjauck; 16-11-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Interesting news* especially With Brexit and Trump trying to destroy trade co-operation on the other sides of the World.

*As long as labour, environmental and other standards are not compromised...
    The rest of the world are getting on with life.

Finally got some NZ Media attention after Sunday's signing of the Agreement.

No real public media fanfare nor any tangible specifics for something that theoretically is going to add 1% to our GDP growth...Oh well ...At least it may help to add $2 billion to counter the loss of $10 Billion (GDP)..(so far) during the 2019-2020 period.
    There is always trade offs perhaps they do not wish them to be highlighted...after all the last FTA was rather one sided.

Free (preferential) trade agreements are always welcome and touted as a win win etc etc

But our foreign trade performance over many years has been rather mediocre

chart courtesy mhreddell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

A coup for China’: Analysts react to the world’s largest trade deal that excludes the U.S

Analysts said economic benefits from the mega trade pact are modest and would take years to materialize

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/16/rcep...rade-deal.html

anyway bitcoin is on fire
    one step ahead of the herd