sharetrader
Page 91 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394951011411915911091 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Missed by that much

My Speights is particularly nice tonight. Love this Bear market

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...7?dist=markets

The Dow is nearing 17k and the S&P 500 is nearing 2k, although this is not record territory, things appear to be slowly coming back...
    Well look what has happened... although NZ market doesn't seem to be bouncing as strongly as overseas (then again we didn't fall as far...)

I even saw some banter somewhere that the Dow is having its best winning streak in quite a while?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    Well look what has happened... although NZ market doesn't seem to be bouncing as strongly as overseas (then again we didn't fall as far...)

I even saw some banter somewhere that the Dow is having its best winning streak in quite a while?
    Good eh! Then, the NZX didnt fall as far either, and the US indexes are now facing stern resistance, but it's the weekend, fire up the BBQ, have a few cold ones, and we'll see whether the bear is dead soon enough, or whether it sucked in the relief rally and is about to take it all back, either way probably next week. Fascinating times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    My Speights is particularly nice tonight. Love this Bear market
    Just a mighty sucker rally - I am sure at some stage it will come down again
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

For the moment it seems that whatever is happening out there has been diluted a bit for the NZ market-It seems to be in a bit of a lag both ways.
    If that continues,then I suppose it is a great advantage to have,especially if it is on the down side.(more warning)

But atm it sounds like there are certainly some Kiwi investors who are doing rather well--Is it the majority?

No calamity atm (but it would be safe to say many are still on ''calamity watch'') Commodities up--many economic results down-interest rate hike most likely postponed=???

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just a mighty sucker rally - I am sure at some stage it will come down again
    no one can be sure
    The nature of the market is that it will trend and fluctuate
    Cheap oil sooner or later is highly likely to fuel industrial growth-it just takes time and a change in sentiment.
    When it goes up it can do so fast so I wouldnt sell out of the market completely-you have to be in to win!
    Consumers love to spend and mankind isnt going to change.
    Population growth will add to demand.
    You just have to be in the right stocks at the right time.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    no one can be sure
    The nature of the market is that it will trend and fluctuate
    Cheap oil sooner or later is highly likely to fuel industrial growth-it just takes time and a change in sentiment.
    When it goes up it can do so fast so I wouldnt sell out of the market completely-you have to be in to win!
    Consumers love to spend and mankind isnt going to change.
    Population growth will add to demand.
    You just have to be in the right stocks at the right time.
    Which is why its intrieging that market seems to rise when oil price rises

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Which is why its intrieging that market seems to rise when oil price rises
    I have noticed that too-suspect its usually both responding to good economic news.
    A lot has been researched about the relation between oil price and economic growth and many different views.
    From the long term perspective however cheap oil and resources equals more consumer spending power and increased demand therefore growth.Low interest rates assist.It just takes time for this to happen

Guru

what I have noticed is that the market has often followed oil,and that there has not been much good economic news--of course the wild card is that the bad results seem to make the market rise as it seems more interested in easy money (delay in interest hike)than the underlying market itself.
    Of course there are lots of variables ,but in terms of the economy getting back on its feet,it doesnt make logical sense--thats why im wary of the whole thing at this point. (doesnt mean that alot cant make tons of money in the meantime as long as the wheels stay on)
    And as long as the market in general stays afloat (especially in NZ) then there is no reason why those invested in solid companies with in the framework of that market cant do well---But that gets much more difficult if the market turns (in NZ as well,even if there is a lag with the companies that dont have much overseas money invested)(the latter get affected quicker)
    I would expect that if the market sentiment does level and rise,we will see more interest in our much better interest rates. ($kiwi)

Is today the end of the sucker rally and the start of the decline to retest the lows? Establishing by this that it is officially a Bear 1 by not moving to a higher high in this rally. Oil is down slightly, maybe last week was a dead cat bounce? It too will retest a new bottom? Only time will tell. My pick.