sharetrader
Page 95 of 1910 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495969798991051451955951095 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    interest rates can stay low for ever and I believe they will go lower even maybe negative or qe4 if you like - all good medicine for the adjustment needed
    There are plenty of reasons why that is just not true--negative or really low interest is not a good thing--Why do you think the Fed is so keen to raise them?

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    There are plenty of reasons why that is just not true--negative or really low interest is not a good thing--Why do you think the Fed is so keen to raise them?
    considering most people are in debt to finance there assets or toys and only a very few people have no debt as a % of the population world wide, I think most people are rather happy to have low interest rates.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    considering most people are in debt to finance there assets or toys and only a very few people have no debt as a % of the population world wide, I think most people are rather happy to have low interest rates.
    which makes deflation totally intolerable. If the cost of goods come down, and wages to, how is all of that debt going to get repaid? The only way is to inflate your way out of it... which means more QE and low rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    which makes deflation totally intolerable. If the cost of goods come down, and wages to, how is all of that debt going to get repaid? The only way is to inflate your way out of it... which means more QE and low rates.
    there's good deflation and bad deflation at the moment its good deflation so as long as they keep providing liquidity it should remain good deflation therefore wages shouldn't fall.
    prices for goods should fall some because input costs of commodities have declined as well as technology changes happening will continue to drive down some goods prices all good - maybe not so for some company profits but that's the market just hope you pick the winners from the losers a

Banned

I've sold more than I've bought but despite that have had two new equity highs since 'Black Monday'.
    Sold AIAL, MRP, HBY; bought SKL, lots of AIR, some STU.
    Sold then bought back TWR, HNZ, for small losses.

Would have been better off buying the above and selling nothing.

Well so far.

KW... at what point would you call this correction / bear market over? New highs?
    Nice work making 14% this year BTW.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by banter View Post

KW... at what point would you call this correction / bear market over? New highs?
    Nice work making 14% this year BTW.
    You mean what point does he say he was wrong, and admit we were never in a bear market to start with

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    You mean what point does he say he was wrong, and admit we were never in a bear market to start with
    Don't tell anybody, but I met KW - and she is clearly not a "he" ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    Most excellent read (I recommend you start at this article and read backwards, lots of good stuff to really make you think)
    http://www.salientpartners.com/epsil...09/30/rounders
    Interesting last article esp the first 2 paragraphs, how true - the rest quickly lost my interest

Guru

Low Interest rates---quote of the day by Danial Kitson--''The future is not the mystery many think.It is instead the ''slowly accruing consequences of the present''

Banned

Bears and Black Mondays bless them all, my portfolio went from minus 19.5% to minus 12% over the last fortnight (That's 100k in dollar terms) and I sold nothing.