sharetrader
Page 962 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 462862912952958959960961962963964965966972101210621462 ... LastLast
Results 9,611 to 9,620 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Will be like Japan where AI technology & robots will take up the slack.
    Possibly, the demographic decline will actually be steeper than Japans and per capita they aren't nearly as wealthy. By 2050 the global population will also start to decline.

I seriously think we'll see a war to attract working age population to industrialised countries with aging/declining populations like Italy and Germany, Japan has already started down that path. English speaking countries seem to face less of a challenge currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    Possibly, the demographic decline will actually be steeper than Japans and per capita they aren't nearly as wealthy. By 2050 the global population will also start to decline.

I seriously think we'll see a war to attract working age population to industrialised countries with aging/declining populations like Italy and Germany, Japan has already started down that path. English speaking countries seem to face less of a challenge currently.
    Plenty young people from poorer EU countries (like e.g. Spain, Rumania, Poland) in Germany ... and on top of that plenty of young refugees from the Near East and Africa. I don't think that they will have too many problems to keep their workforce running.

It is closed countries like NZ who will have to compete a bit harder for young people, but it appears our politicians don't understand the problem yet.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

We have a severe labour shortage now. Showing up in the planning / H&S type white collar roles without going into the blue collar and trades that are short handed.

plenty of young willing labour from the island's who want to live and work in NZ and there coming in NOV thanks to the govt relaxing immigration criteria
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    We have a severe labour shortage now. Showing up in the planning / H&S type white collar roles without going into the blue collar and trades that are short handed.
    Not a severe labour shortage. We have a shortage of people who don’t want to work for minimum wage. Let’s face it, you can earn $22.50 at a supermarket, but start by getting $20.50 to wipe someone’s backside. Businesses can afford to pay more, but that needs to get passed onto their customers, which is not a good look for the retirement sector….. I am for paying them more and passing it in to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Plenty young people from poorer EU countries (like e.g. Spain, Rumania, Poland) in Germany ... and on top of that plenty of young refugees from the Near East and Africa. I don't think that they will have too many problems to keep their workforce running.
    Eastern and Southern Europe are suffering among the fastest aging and declining populations of any region in Europe. Unfortunately it still isn't nearly enough workers to slow the decline in more industrialised countries like Germany or Italy:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ore-immigrants

Demography is destiny. Just be glad we live in a country that has, and appears to retain, the ability to attract immigrants. Even if we lack the houses and infrastructure to grow our population.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Let’s face it, you can earn $22.50 at a supermarket, but start by getting $20.50 to wipe someone’s backside.
    I doubt that I could survive on those wages either. New Zealand is a very expensive country to live in at the moment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

It is closed countries like NZ who will have to compete a bit harder for young people, but it appears our politicians don't understand the problem yet.
    I wouldn't underestimate the abilities of other countries to drive them away.

UK has recently announced increased taxes on professionals and most workers.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    I doubt that I could survive on those wages either. New Zealand is a very expensive country to live in at the moment.
    I agree, but if we paid all staff fair ($30) the average cost of basics would need about roughly a minimum of 30% rise in all goods and services at the bottom scale. Ie cafes, takeaways, restaurants and so on.

Which ironically is a subsidy on the rich. We wont pay you well as we cant afford our lifestyles if we all do... but you can keep living hand to mouth, because, well, lattes.