sharetrader
Page 97 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 4787939495969798991001011071471975971097 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Membaa

With the US markets right on massive resistance it will be interesting to see how their open and day progresses, with Asia markets today sideways-down-a-bit and DOW/SP5 futures looking sideways as well (at the time of posting this), it seems uncertainty is the sentiment de jour. You'd be excused for wondering about that, as the media seems intent on downplaying weakness in the global economy's, however it's not about the media per se is it, you don't see the media disclosing their investment position .. because they don't have one. Tomorrow we may well see whether our local NZX and ASX confidence is well placed, or whether the apparent short term topping process follows through.

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    Because I've spent most of the last 15 years in Australia and have lost touch with the NZ market
    Because I'm on a 4 year tax holiday for all foreign derived income
    Because it takes a lot of work to follow a market and look for opportunities within it, and there are simply not enough opportunities in NZ for me to bother. There are not all that many in Australia even, which is why I need to get off my ass and get into the US market.
    KW - the UK market is really very good..I invest in NZ, UK and US with the majority of my current holdings in the UK - good enough yields and good information available. I spent a lot of time out of the NZ market but got back in just prior to the recovery, sold out a lot in Nov 2013 and then began buying again. It is really easy to follow the NZ market, the biggest problem is that it is so slow and small!

Investor

NZ stock market must be the best performing globally atm, another strong day and inching close to 5900 mark...

JPMorgan: The Stock Market Still Has $90 Billion in Short Sales Left to Cover

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-in-u-s-stocks
    one step ahead of the herd

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    JPMorgan: The Stock Market Still Has $90 Billion in Short Sales Left to Cover

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-in-u-s-stocks
    Thanks for posting Bull….. it used to be that "when Wall Street Sneezes, NZ catches a cold."

I'm not sure if that is still the case. What is currently driving US markets is the Fed and its interest policies, plus struggling Energy, Resources and Banking stocks. I suspect that if the US sneezes we will sneeze too, but I suspect our NZX is gaining some immunity to catching colds like we used to. Time will tell.

Banned

Default Are we there yet?

So when is Black Monday over? For the NZ market, that is.

1) When this thread makes it to page 2, which it did - check
    2) When the biggest bear on the board (and she knows who she is) says it is.

The more an investor blocks out the world and retreats into his own ideological biases, the worse off he becomes.

From Mauldin's Outside the Box this week - haven't read it but his seemed to be relevant
    Last edited by winner69; 22-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    The more an investor blocks out the world and retreats into his own ideological biases, the worse off he becomes.

From Mauldin's Outside the Box this week - haven't read it but his seemed to be relevant
    While it's going great guns in NZ, Aus is still hurting, China is bouncing along sideways due to government support, US has stalled at massive price resistance levels. What's going on? Uncertainty. I thought this was an interesting and brief read: http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?ty...eid=2708549ebc

Guru

sounds like an interesting article--The ''getting to emotionally attached'' seems to be the biggest test for most--Staying detached is best ,but not always easy ,especially for those who have put in alot of research--It becomes their ''baby''which is understandable,but can be dangerous.Of course it works both ways and I suppose one can be too cautious.
    Having said that --One who takes a large risk ,and wins,does not necessarily mean that taking large risks is the best option in general.
    The ''feel'' of things at this point seem to be a move away from the high risk,spec. shares ,into more dividend paying stocks with safer numbers on the books.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    While it's going great guns in NZ, Aus is still hurting, China is bouncing along sideways due to government support, US has stalled at massive price resistance levels. What's going on? Uncertainty. I thought this was an interesting and brief read: http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?ty...eid=2708549ebc
    Ah the old saying of climbing the wall of worry.
    "Such bearishness is an ideal platform for positive returns in the year ahead"
    Who knows ,next week/month it may be different.I take heart that so many have cashed up & still worrying.