sharetrader
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default nz shares or property

Have been around looking at another investment rental. Cannot believe the numbers attending open homes, shortage of stock and the urgency created. Herd instinct concerns. Values are all moving up. Would I be better off gearing into a some NZ dividend growth stocks?

Guru

The average New Zealander because they have never experienced a property market collapse in the last 30 years or so (yes values went down by like 5 or 10% in 2008, but nothing massive), many New Zealanders "hate" shares, and wouldn't consider it an investment after the 1987 crash... because of this many have their money tied up in property, and many more "want there money tied up in property" as it is on a seemingly endless road to success with no downside/risk...

The next paragraph is mainly relating to Auckland... One leading economist described Auckland's property market as "a giant Ponzi scheme" as residents (and investors) pay each other to get in and drive prices up and up, once these new apartment buildings "come online" and unusually strong migration drops off, Auckland property may not have the big double digit increases it has enjoyed, on average, for decades (I am a bit wary of the medium term fundamentals...)
    If you are going to do something, do it before the RBNZ new regulations come into affect 1 October (I think?) and this will require 30% gearing instead of the current minimum of 20%... be aware of the new regulations brought in by the government as well (not sure on these or when they are being implemented)

I am not sure either how NZ shares will go over the next year, but as always, on average shares generally make a better return than property, which shares will do better than others is always a better question.
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 30-08-2015 at 07:06 PM.

If you're talking about Auckland property I suggest you have a look at my recent post in the AIR thread.

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    Have been around looking at another investment rental. Cannot believe the numbers attending open homes, shortage of stock and the urgency created. Herd instinct concerns. Values are all moving up. Would I be better off gearing into a some NZ dividend growth stocks?
    The billionaire Sir James Goldsmith had some very salient advice about a firm rule he had when investing .

" If you see a bandwagon never follow it, its simply too late."

As far as Auckland goes, SELL NOW.
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 30-08-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    The average New Zealander because they have never experienced a property market collapse in the last 30 years or so (yes values went down by like 5 or 10% in 2008, but nothing massive), many New Zealanders "hate" shares, and wouldn't consider it an investment after the 1987 crash... because of this many have their money tied up in property, and many more "want there money tied up in property" as it is on a seemingly endless road to success with no downside/risk...

The next paragraph is mainly relating to Auckland... One leading economist described Auckland's property market as "a giant Ponzi scheme" as residents (and investors) pay each other to get in and drive prices up and up, once these new apartment buildings "come online" and unusually strong migration drops off, Auckland property may not have the big double digit increases it has enjoyed, on average, for decades (I am a bit wary of the medium term fundamentals...)
    If you are going to do something, do it before the RBNZ new regulations come into affect 1 October (I think?) and this will require 30% gearing instead of the current minimum of 20%... be aware of the new regulations brought in by the government as well (not sure on these or when they are being implemented)

I am not sure either how NZ shares will go over the next year, but as always, on average shares generally make a better return than property, which shares will do better than others is always a better question.
    Im not so sure either would be a sure winner these days---im just wondering which share if I had put my $64000 in (1984) would be worth 1.3mil now--cant say the cash flow is great though(rent-expenses)---it will still be there in X years though and there is no executives with their noses in the trough
    Last edited by skid; 01-09-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Im not so sure either would be a sure winner these days---im just wondering which share if I had put my $64000 in (1984) would be worth 1.3mil now--cant say the cash flow is great though(rent-expenses)---it will still be there in X years though and there is no executives with their noses in the trough
    That is a great return.
    You have underlined why NZ has such a small proportion of wealth in financial investments (shares and bonds) compared with residential real estate. When people can get such good (mostly untaxed) returns from leveraged residential housing investment, it is natural that they will tend to park and accumulate their wealth there. It also helps explain why our stock exchange is small in proportion to our GDP and why our houses are expensive in relation to our incomes. NZ is going back to the future of a nation of wealthy landlord families (some absentee and foreign) and inter-generational tenants, who work for foreign-owned companies.

It would take a courageous government with vision to introduce a tax regime which increased the tax take from investment residential real estate, so that the proportion of total returns (capital profit and income) paid in tax equaled the proportion of returns(capital profit and income), from investment in shares, that are paid in tax. The ease at which investment in residential real estate can be leveraged enables large (currently untaxed) capital gains for the owner's equity.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 01-09-2015 at 06:56 AM.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Why property or shares? Why not both?

Deep.

agree gearing into both does make sense, shares more volatile, however in nz we are fixated on property

If you are thinking of property why not have shares in property? PFI ARG GMT PCT all good returns.