sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64
  1. #16
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    That is a substantial dairy farm they are looking at.http://www.vdlfarms.com.au/about
    Just trying to remember the NZ connection via Tasman Farms.
    The late Dunedin businessman Howard Paterson may have been involved??
    I think it is a very well run dairying business.

  2. #17
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Just trying to remember the NZ connection via Tasman Farms.
    The late Dunedin businessman Howard Paterson may have been involved??
    I think it is a very well run dairying business.
    All on their website Percy , bit of history there for Tasmania , they may have to make more than one capital raise for this ???

    VDL became part of the New Zealand publicly listed company Tasman Agriculture Ltd in 1993.
    Tasman Agriculture Ltd was put into voluntary liquidation on 31 October 2001, following a restructuring of its New Zealand Farms, and its shareholders received one share in Tasman Farms Limited for every share held in TasAg by way of an in-specie distribution.
    In June 2004 VDL purchased all the shares in Tasman Farmdale Limited, which owned a further 11 dairy unitsin the Circular Head region of North-West Tasmania.
    Tasman Farms Limited, a New Zealand Company, is the current majority shareholder of VDL, owning 98.42% of shares on issue.
    Management of VDL is undertaken from a small, modern office located in Smithton, within 40 minutes of all farms.
    VDL has 75,500,000 shares on issue.
    In late 2007 the New Plymouth District Council (NPDC), based in the Taranaki region of New Zealand, launched a takeover bid of Tasman Farms Limited. In February 2008 this bid was finalised with the NPDC purchasing 74.33% of Tasman Farms Limited. NPDC has since increased its Shareholding to 100%.

  3. #18
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    Thanks Stoploss.
    Yes most probably some "interesting" venues for capital raising.
    Last edited by percy; 13-10-2015 at 05:47 PM.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    974

    Default

    thats a fairly large aquisition! they will need a lot more cash now??

  5. #20
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    From NBR article.
    Van Diemen's Land Company is Australia's oldest dairying company.
    This will be only the third time in about 200 years of production the property has changed hands.
    VDL has almost 30,000 cows on 19,000 hectacres producing nearly 8 million kilograms of milk solids this year.
    According to VDL director Mike Trousselot VDL is valued over $250 million.

  6. #21
    Kanga ru Xerof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Just trying to remember the NZ connection via Tasman Farms.
    The late Dunedin businessman Howard Paterson may have been involved??
    I think it is a very well run dairying business.
    Yes, I think you're right percy - try Southern Capital/Hirequip/Pegasus town? and Tasman Agriculture all in the mix at one time or other. Graeme Wong was another name coming to mind.

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    974

    Default

    if i sell all my ONC shares today, will i still be eligible for the SPP?

  8. #23
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZSilver View Post
    if i sell all my ONC shares today, will i still be eligible for the SPP?
    Possibly you would, as the record date was 9th October.
    But what would hold me back, is the fact they are not despatching SPP details until the 20th November.
    My worry would be if you are not on the register when they despatch the SPP details you may miss out.
    Maybe the way round it would be to not sell your whole holding,retain 500 or so.
    Last edited by percy; 14-10-2015 at 02:43 PM.

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Possibly you would, as the record date was 9th October.
    But what would hold me back, is the fact they are not despatching SPP details until the 20th November.
    My worry would be if you are not on the register when they despatch the SPP details you may miss out.
    Maybe the way round it would be to not sell your whole holding,retain 500 or so.
    Yeh I was thinking that but I'm sure if the record date says the 9th, I should be given the SPP info. Will let you know!
    Last edited by NZSilver; 14-10-2015 at 05:11 PM.

  10. #25
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,606

  11. #26
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    Game on.!!!
    Bring it on.!

  12. #27
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    13,156

    Default

    Any dairy company paying too high a price [farm gate] for their supply will run at a loss.
    Any dairy farmer who can keep their costs well below their selling price will make a profit.
    Any dairy company that can sell their product at a "premium"and has the marketing and logistics in place will most probably make a profit.
    To me it looks as though VDL dairy farms are located in the wet west of Tasmania,and depending on borrowing costs ,should be low cost producer.Hopefully there will be a tie up with BAL and their product will be sold at a premium.
    Last edited by percy; 05-11-2015 at 08:23 PM.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Corporate dairy farms usually have higher production costs than smaller owner operator. I don't like the look of this. Better to buy the milk and make the product.

  14. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Any dairy company paying too high a price [farm gate] for their supply will run at a loss.
    Any dairy farmer who can keep their costs well below their selling price will make a profit.
    Any dairy company that can sell their product at a "premium"and has the marketing and logistics in place will most probably make a profit.
    To me it looks as though VDL dairy farms are located in the wet west of Tasmania,and depending on borrowing costs ,should be low cost producer.Hopefully there will be a tie up with BAL and their product will be sold at a premium.
    You might like to ask the New Plymouth District Council if it was profitable (from money raised selling their lines company to Powerco)

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    And very difficult not to get a 20% drop in production when converting to organic supply

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •