sharetrader
Page 40 of 160 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Tegel IPO

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    .... I do wonder about logistics however....
    I guess the logistics are: grow grain in Australia; truck it to port; ship it to New Zealand; truck it to farms; turn it into chicken; truck chickens to factory; truck product to port; ship to Australia; truck to shop ... and still be competitive. The wonders of globalization and modern transport systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I guess the logistics are: grow grain in Australia; truck it to port; ship it to New Zealand; truck it to farms; turn it into chicken; truck chickens to factory; truck product to port; ship to Australia; truck to shop ... and still be competitive. The wonders of globalization and modern transport systems.
    Price of wheat down 56%, barley down 36% and price of corn down 46% in the last 5 years. Huge reductions in input costs.

Also, NZ enjoys one of the highest FCR in the world - mainly die to the fact that NZ is the ONLY country free of the three major bird viruses in the world.

http://pianz.org.nz/industry-issues/...-and-fallacies

“Birds do grow faster in New Zealand, so all the world is looking and would like to match the industry here, but they can’t,” Prof. Ravindran says.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Price of wheat down 56%, barley down 36% and price of corn down 46% in the last 5 years. Huge reductions in input costs.

Also, NZ enjoys one of the highest FCR in the world - mainly die to the fact that NZ is the ONLY country free of the three major bird viruses in the world.

“Birds do grow faster in New Zealand, so all the world is looking and would like to match the industry here, but they can’t,” Prof. Ravindran says.
    NZ has not had a major outbreak of those diseases but that doesn't mean they are not here. Avian influenza is in the wild bird population in NZ. Expand the poultry industry and it is just a matter of time... make hay while the sun shines.I did a small research project with Tegel many years ago and was very impressed with the farms I saw then.

discl: not holding

Thanks Balance. Good to know about hormones on NZ chickens but it would be nicer if we can have the latest research on feed formulations as the above is almost 5 years old.

Nothing to do with Tegal but I find this horrifying -

Baker said it needed to be kept in perspective. There were an estimated 70,000 cases of campylobacter a year in New Zealand - one of the highest rates in the world.

"We have very high rates due to contaminated chicken," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...immune-disease
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Nothing to do with Tegal but I find this horrifying -

Baker said it needed to be kept in perspective. There were an estimated 70,000 cases of campylobacter a year in New Zealand - one of the highest rates in the world.

"We have very high rates due to contaminated chicken," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...immune-disease
    Have to be so careful about handling food, especially seafood and chickens and taking extra care to make sure they are not off.

I remember an ex-colleague of mine eating week old chicken pizza and ending up in hospital for 2 weeks from food poisoning.

Then there are those who ate contaminated oysters from Korea at Eden park function and ended up in hospitals.

Have to be so careful about handling food, especially seafood and chickens and taking extra care to make sure they are not off.

I remember an ex-colleague of mine eating week old chicken pizza and ending up in hospital for 2 weeks from food poisoning.

Then there are those who ate contaminated oysters from Korea at Eden park function and ended up in hospitals.
    Chicken, yes - pathogens particularly camp are present in chicken. Seafood food poisoning is normally associated with toxins & not normally a food handling issue but a farming issue.

IMO

Supermarket raw chicken is leakproof now; wrapping standards were upgraded and enforced a while back. To think it often used to drip onto ones other food items in the trolley; errrkk
    Campylobacter spp. enumerated from drips trapped in leak-proof ...

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Thanks Balance. Good to know about hormones on NZ chickens but it would be nicer if we can have the latest research on feed formulations as the above is almost 5 years old.
    Unlike hi tech industries, one assumes that things do not change too dramatically one year to the next.

http://www.takaninifeeds.co.nz/poultry/

Pretty much the same 5 years ago - what goes into chicken feed these days - wheat, maize, barley and soya meal without the anti-biotics and growth hormones so common overseas.

IMO

A snippet from John Ryders excellent Global newsletter. Bodes well for feed prices here.

"At the beginning of June, US stocks ofcorn were 4.72 billion bushels, the highestreading since 1988. Farmers also seededthe highest ever acreage of soybeans(83.7 million acres), as well as the fourthhighest acreage for corn (94.1 millionacres).

The outlook in other large producing nations and regions, like Russia, Ukraine and the EU, is alsopositive... and is expected to take total world grain production to 2.026 billion tonnes this year, withinventories reaching the highest level ever. "