sharetrader
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

So far TGR has been doing not too bad despite of the not so gloomy global context. I'm being at +12% at the moment and I'm wondering when it would be a good idea to update my stop loss to not give it all back. Any idea?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blu3 View Post
    So far TGR has been doing not too bad despite of the not so gloomy global context. I'm being at +12% at the moment and I'm wondering when it would be a good idea to update my stop loss to not give it all back. Any idea?
    Dont have my chart in fromt of me, but now that it has made another new high it would be a good time to move the stop up to around 4.48 just under the low of a couple of weeks ago

Oh well... in 2 days it almost went back to my buying point of $4.53... surely this one likes to swing!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blu3 View Post
    Oh well... in 2 days it almost went back to my buying point of $4.53... surely this one likes to swing!
    Not sure whats going on there. Stops in danger now, hopefully just far away to be safe

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Not sure whats going on there. Stops in danger now, hopefully just far away to be safe
    Tough couple of days. On my weekly chart 4.52 is the 14EMA trigger sell, above the 4.40 support and below the 4.48 suggested stop loss .. which would exit blu3 at a small loss, but better than getting savaged by a larger fall to supports at 4.40 or 4.00 below that. I think we might have just all been late to this party, but a very good lesson in stop losses if it continues to cave in. Who knows, it might bounce off supports ... has anything fundamentally broken? (I don't follow this stock).

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Tough couple of days. On my weekly chart 4.52 is the 14EMA trigger sell, above the 4.40 support and below the 4.48 suggested stop loss .. which would exit blu3 at a small loss, but better than getting savaged by a larger fall to supports at 4.40 or 4.00 below that. I think we might have just all been late to this party, but a very good lesson in stop losses if it continues to cave in. Who knows, it might bounce off supports ... has anything fundamentally broken? (I don't follow this stock).
    Oh well , thats me stopped out

Membaa

Entry was $4.53, close $4.36, I think everyone is out now on today's rout (looks like a retest coming of the double high '08 / '14 breakout). Did anyone make money? Who lost the least money?

Looking at the course of trades, it seems that the algo's got hold of this around 3pm (Oz time) with a whole series of very small trades, so not a line wipe on the bids, but more a progressive sell down by automated trades. Just a hypothesis looking into the trading data for today.

The effect is similar, it wiped a lot of the bid line. Still a good lesson in stops .. this was progressive selling, so a trigger placement of the stop loss might have got you out in reality, depending of how far below your stops was, but a line wipe would have possibly kept you in, wondering why you'd not been sold into the rout.

It's not simple buy, place stop, exit .. is it?
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 05-02-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Looks like I've jinxed it... it went on my book from +12% to -4% in a week. But I'm still in for some more losses until $4.23!

Guru

Default Hoops TA rubbish talk

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It's not simple buy, place stop, exit .. is it?

......Looking at the course of trades, it seems that the algo's got hold of this around 3pm (Oz time) with a whole series of very small trades, so not a line wipe on the bids, but more a progressive sell down by automated trades. Just a hypothesis looking into the trading data for today.......
    Yes it is simple...Unfortunately people of the world are more educated nowadays and using false logic think "the more complicated the more efficient (successful) rule"... This has become a world of overthinking which end up complicating the issue beyond all reasoning and complicating themselves in the process...The ol saying "Can't see the wood for the trees"....Eh!! That's where charts are helpful it's easy to see the wood....Remember TGA is a TA friendly stock...the exit price is there for all to see..Pick a red arrow better still exit on a cluster of red arrows...even the 6th February trading day (chart insert) was TA inspired ...When its happening and don't trust an isolated red arrow or two, sell just below broken support (usually just below the second support)..some investors use the -10% rule or if your charting program has free ATM indicators your stop out life is easier....however I find it a lot more fun picking my own stops...
    It doesn't matter which method(s) one uses...the objective is to get out and not being caught in a stock and lose/evaporate profits ...You can't expect your portfolio to beat the market if it contains stocks with red ink above -15% so using stops prevents having a portfolio full of losers forcing you to adopt the buy and hope method..

By the way..I'm still in...why?? My holding is small, using manual stop and I was away today and had no interest to check the markets as most of my portfolio is cash...never mind Sh1t happens....(Hoop breaking discipline is becoming a bad habit didn't sell AIR last Friday either..)

This previous TGR weakness seems to be from the selling down by The National Australia Bank and associates....I guess the Aussi Bear might have caught up with the fund and investors are quitting..maybe they are still selling down??!!..

Anyway I haven't got much to lose (relative) with TGR so I may break discipline as my investing life is boring atm.

If I had sold out (4.38) I would put TGR on my watchlist (because it is TA friendly) and be waiting to re-enter ..so there are some areas to watch..
    The good news..
    Using the Fib retrace from the start of the up trend..38.2% happens to be at 4.35..That's nice ..
    There's a weak support at 4.30 (not marked on the chart) and its showing up on the depth...
    However the bad news is the 4.40 is a S&R resistance + EMA100 ..and..
    The SD(2) channel has broken down.
    The next big line of defense is $4.00
    Then the 61.8% Fib + S&R zone at $3.85
    The AORD's is in a TA Bear market cycle so shouldn't be buying anything...full stop!! (not yet the FA official -20%)

So realistically even at $4.36 the odds are still against me... the best I can hope for is a pullback to retest the last break 4.50 so lets see what happens on Monday whether/when I sell.
    Time to stop my rant (setting a bad example for this thread) and have a cup of coffee..

Last edited by Hoop; 06-02-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    setting a bad example for this thread
    Please do not say such an absurd thing again—I'm looking forward to read as many rants from you as possible!

I have been a bit distant from the stock market recently and didn't follow closely what happened to TGR but, even if I did, I probably wouldn't have sold anyways. That's because I don't have your analytical skills yet, and wouldn't have picked all these red arrows (except the MA crossings), as obvious as you think they might be. But I'll get there, eventually!

Now, TA aside, I'm really wondering what has been happening here—is it all due to the currenly weak global markets or did I miss something directly related to TGR?

In any case, my stop loss finally triggered and I'm out. As of now I'm mostly holding cash (~95%) and am only holding a couple of highly spec stocks which are not performing well at all (PRR at -58% and CDY at -42%). Apart of these, which were in the red much before I started to think of using cutting loss strategies, and for which I've got no idea what to do with now, I think I'll stay on the sidelines for a while until the markets start to settle a bit and show signs of better health.