sharetrader
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hybrid View

BP - you used snitch, a word I haven't seen for years

I snitched yesterday

For the first time ever I used the Report Post button. Yes I snitched

The post (on this thread) I snitched on was the most vitriolic personal attack on a fellow forum member I have seen. It really was bad

Fortunately it was taken down, presumably by an admin person because my post suggesting the poster himself delete it was also deleted.

If I ran this site I would have banned the poster for good. But he seems to have got off scot free as his guru status remains intact

At least being a snitch meant who the post was aimed at didn't see it.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

If I ran this site I would have banned the poster for good. But he seems to have got off scot free as his guru status remains intact
    To save my good name being dragged in the mud it wasn't me!

Edit: Can I add Couta's name to the list. i miss his advice.
    Last edited by minimoke; 06-12-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    BP - you used snitch, a word I haven't seen for years

I snitched yesterday

For the first time ever I used the Report Post button. Yes I snitched

The post (on this thread) I snitched on was the most vitriolic personal attack on a fellow forum member I have seen. It really was bad

Fortunately it was taken down, presumably by an admin person because my post suggesting the poster himself delete it was also deleted.

At least being a snitch meant who the post was aimed at didn't see it.
    If Vince needed evidence about STMod inconsistency about who gets banned I ask him to look at the deleted posts of early afternoon on 5th Dec (assuming a record remains) - the post mentioned deserved a very long time on the sideline.
    Last edited by winner69; 14-12-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

The approachable Admin Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Interesting that neither Percy or Joshuatree have denied being part of STMOD. Sunlight is a great disinfectant and we have secrets and dark places badly in need of sunlight.
    I will do my best to leave it at that for now. I believe I have fully articulated my thoughts..probably too fully for some people's liking.

Neither of them are MODS and the thing I will never tolerate is accusing other members of certain things.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Neither of them are MODS and the thing I will never tolerate is accusing other members of certain things.

Bearing that statement in mind Vince could you please give some thought to answering Black Peters questions. Best wishes

Membaa

Right now there's about 4x as many viewers on ST as members.

That's consistent with my observations, sometimes that ratio is a lot higher, but around 4-5 times viewers to members on a thread is typical. Taking into account that some much smaller proportion of members actually post stuff, then combined, the non-posting members and the viewers make up the vast proportion of those who 'use' ST. They must see some value in it ... so where is the value? It must be from those who post stuff here, otherwise where else could it be? Nowhere. The value comes from those who post.

The point of this is that by banning those in the small proportion of members who actually post, and when those members are generally unselfish contributors, and some who are just plainly enlightened and capable investors, then the risk is that those members vote with their delete button and exit ST, some taking all their posts with them (actually they have to ask the STMod to delete them and their posts, but you get the point).

Then of course ST's value diminishes accordingly. So it must be a very fine line between ST allowing free speech, albeit at times with baiting, vitriol, repetition, argument, ramping, down ramping, etc ... and all the other no-no's, thereby strictly banning the much smaller minority of posters who actually bother to share what they choose to share.

Amongst those small minority who do have the quals and willingness to share, there are the gems that keep bringing us all back to ST. Let's not ban them too quickly, or for too long, or the 'royal we' will quickly find other avenues to discuss our passion for investing. And there are many alternatives.

percy

STMOD is right with "the intention to move the debate forwards. "
    This last banning came about by Paper Tiger trying exactly to do this.
    Years ago we had a poster,Dr.Who who used to post "I would never go near this dog". This sort of comment is very disappointing to the person who has spent a great deal of time researching a company,and putting forward solid reasons why this company is worth investing in.He never gave his reasons for why each company was a dog.He never "moved the debate forward."
    Time and time again we have seen posters posting similar type posts.In fact on the HNZ thread I have pointed this out time and time again;yes HNZ will receive a banking licence,no HNZ will not need to raise more capital,no HNZ do not have a large exposure to dairying or Auckland property market,yes HNZ have researched the no deposit Holden promotion,
    Yet every bit of bad news about dairying was posted on HNZ thread.We have been blessed lately with posters on that thread going back to their memory of GFC, while another poster retains his miss guided thoughts about the reason CSB joined in the formation of HNZ.Neither realise no depositor lost money with Marac,and CSB shareholders benefited by being part of a listed bank.
    So an AMNESTY sounds fine,so long as we have a strong STMOD, who will in fact do as he says "move the debate forward".
    Should this happen we will all benefit.
    As a sidebar it is interesting to note banned BFM, has won this year's NZX stock picking contest,being up a massive 75.22%.That is skill,not luck,yet we are missing out with him sharing his knowledge.
    Last edited by percy; 08-12-2015 at 09:17 AM.

percy

Positive negative share knocking.!!
    The thread on ASX;"Dick Smith IPO."
    This thread makes for interesting reading.
    Posters Stranger Danger,Trader Jackson,Macduffy and Born2invest need to be thanked for their sage advice.
    Would have saved any one who thought of investing in the Dick Smith IPO a lot of money.
    A case of sharetrader working for the benefit of others.

So I got my first serve from STMOD today and posts deleted. I’m OK with that - I’ve already said that is their right. But it has given me a first hand experience of Moderation so I feel I am much better qualified to post on this thread.

First up there is obviously no “natural justice” being applied by Moderators. It’s a simple concept. An bad poster gets a right to respond to accusations before sentence is passed. In my case I apparently strayed off topic (something I dispute) so that’s an immediate deletion of posts but I don’t get any right of reply even off line.

Next, what do we do if there is a dispute? I reckon I was generally on topic, STMOD disagrees. How about a function where STMOD crosses out the post (you know that rule line thing through text) to give a poster a warning shot as well as a chance to edit and amend. Also other posters get to see the type of post that transgresses and learns from others without repeating the mistakes.

And back to natural justice. What’s with the SDMOD being accuser, prosecution, Judge and executioner? Regardless of forum owners having rights, that’s a shed load of power to be wielding by one individual.

I have already said I like the idea of an amnesty (or was that post deleted as well). I’d also like a note against forum members profile showing how long they are banned for and when they can re enter the fray. For example “Roger “seems to have disappeared off the Member list - how about a note showing how long he is banned for – temporary or permanent. Obviously my suggestion on a date of return didn’t go down well since that post was deleted.

And finally how about having a precedent section – a section which shows posts that earnt a ban. It would help us understand limits and also describe the thresholds.

Oh and one last idea. Consistency. Given my posts have been deleted due to being off topic (or whatever reason) we should expect all posts that don’t meet that standard to have the same treatment. Time will tell.

percy

Well I think it is great we had our posts deleted as we had "lost focus" and moved "off topic."
    I had a good chuckle to myself when some one added to my reputation for a post I posted on this thread.
    [It was not STMOD].lol.