sharetrader

Hybrid View

Yes I know what you mean. The posters use of the word usury was probably not meant as such but certainly does carry an emotive connotation and Shakespeare's depiction of Shylock as the (unfortunately) Jewish moneylender in The Merchant of Venice certainly put back the perception of Jews somewhat.... Realistically however credit card companies, finance co's, etc.etc.etc. will always be with us. There is always someone willing to exploit someone else's circumstances, whether it be for money, influence or power. That whole issue is so far reaching and fraught with so many potential opinions and emotions that is detracts from the main issue. Its hard enough judging investments worth on facts and figures. Problem here is as I said not a lot of facts and figures to really go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I agree. All investments carry a greater or lesser risk, which the investor will wear according to the investor's tolerance and awareness of the risks involved.

I was responding to a previous post which brought up the term "bordering on usury" in relation to Harmoney. "Usury" is not a "neutral" word and its meaning involves judgment or conscience as to what is reasonable according to the ethical or moral standpoint of the person who uses it.

Usury is, today, the practice of making unethical or immoral monetary loans that unfairly enrich the lender. Wikipaedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury

an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest Merriam-Webster

The action or practice of lending money at unreasonably high rates of interest: ‘the medieval prohibition on usury Oxford Dictionary
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Yes I know what you mean. The posters use of the word usury was probably not meant as such but certainly does carry an emotive connotation ...
    I think that "usury" is nearly always used in circumstances in which the writer is expressing ethical repugnance. The word has a negative connotation. If the writer intends a more benign connotation then "at a high interest rate" or similar would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    ... There is always someone willing to exploit someone else's circumstances, whether it be for money, influence or power....
    "Exploit" with its negative meaning requires a moral or ethical judgment. Such activity if proscribed by a nation's law is an illegal activity. Using the neutral connotation of "exploit" then that statement could apply to every investment. And if you add "or whether it be for self-satisfaction" it could be applied to every endeavour including organised charities and research institutions.