sharetrader
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    I dont include my house in my investment portfolio (even though it has capital growth and provides imputed rents) and my decision is not investment based. It is emotional based, I chose it based on the type of house I want to live in and the stage of life and wealth I am at. If it was investment based, I would probably live somewhere smaller or choosen a place with bigger capital gain potential, or maybe even choosen to rent and buy a rental elsewhere.

If I was young, and my house was just a stepping stone, then it might be 100% investment based.
    If you did not have your own home you would need a replacement portfolio of well-performing shares to be able to afford to pay the increasing rent for a similar house over the years. So when comparing investment portfolios between a home owner and a non home owner, you need to include the value of any equity owned in a home. All investment decisions have an emotional component to a greater or lesser degree.

All home purchases have an investment component to greater or lesser degree. Nimby-ism has as much to do with preserving property values as anything else. Nobody likes to see capital values erode - whether it is their home or their portfolio of NZX shares.

I've been "Investing in P2P" in both NZ and AUS since December 2014 (presently hold positions in excess of 400 unsecured and secured loans ranging from ($25 -$1000) and have invested in loans with all P2P providers in NZ plus the two in Australia most accessible to NZ investors wishing to start out with small test amounts to begin with.

I have successfully averaged "stable" annual returns over 10%+ every year through a very fractionalised-diversification secured and unsecured strategy.

Typically the fewer "unsecured" loans you invest the more volatile your investment is, only then would i consider P2P lending unfit as an "Longterm Investment"

Quote Originally Posted by attraides View Post
    I've been "Investing in P2P" in both NZ and AUS since December 2014 (presently hold positions in excess of 400 unsecured and secured loans ranging from ($25 -$1000) and have invested in loans with all P2P providers in NZ plus the two in Australia most accessible to NZ investors wishing to start out with small test amounts to begin with.

I have successfully averaged "stable" annual returns over 10%+ every year through a very fractionalised-diversification secured and unsecured strategy.

Typically the fewer "unsecured" loans you invest the more volatile your investment is, only then would i consider P2P lending unfit as an "Longterm Investment"
    do you have any suggestions for people wanting a bit of longterm investing using Nz p2p?
    also what about for older people wanting to retire and live off p2p interest, would you suggest a different strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by attraides View Post

"Typically the fewer "unsecured" loans you invest the more volatile your investment is"...

I'm struggling to follow the logic there! My mind tells me that the more "Secured Loans" you have = A Less Volatile investment you own??

Default More loans = less volatility

Quote Originally Posted by Saamee View Post
    "Typically the fewer "unsecured" loans you invest the more volatile your investment is"...

I'm struggling to follow the logic there! My mind tells me that the more "Secured Loans" you have = A Less Volatile investment you own??
    Perhaps he meant the more loans (whether secured/unsecured) you buy, the lesser the income volatility = not too different a view from yours, Saamee. Hence, the fewer "unsecured" (or secured, in your case) loans you invest in, the more volatile your investment ...

Diversification via greater quantity of loans (and in his case via providers, loan grades, NZD/AUD etc)

Quote Originally Posted by beacon View Post
    Perhaps he meant the more loans (whether secured/unsecured) you buy, the lesser the income volatility = not too different a view from yours, Saamee. Hence, the fewer "unsecured" (or secured, in your case) loans you invest in, the more volatile your investment ...

Diversification via greater quantity of loans (and in his case via providers, loan grades, NZD/AUD etc)
    Yes. Agreed

If a P2P loan gets written off the amount is tax deductible correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    If a P2P loan gets written off the amount is tax deductible correct?
    Only if you are carrying on a lending business. No clear rules on this sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJH View Post
    Only if you are carrying on a lending business. No clear rules on this sadly.
    Thanks, do you know if all the people who lost money in finance companies were able to claim?

@Entrep - This has been well covered over past threads ( before your time I believe ) however I'm sure it was this guy that really had great input on it ( maybe over multiple P2P company threads ).

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/member.php?11527-Bjauck

May I suggest you do a search of all the P2P threads with their user name and also with Tax as an option.... ( or even just a search of Tax within P2P )
    Last edited by Saamee; 28-05-2017 at 08:34 AM.