sharetrader
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default My 2016 Challenge

Hi all,

I have set myself a challenge this year. Aside from my other long term investing activity I will invest $20,000 and see what I can turn it into by this time next year.

I am documenting my progress and decisions on a blog at the following address:
    http://20kstockproject.blogspot.co.nz

I hope it is of interest to some - please comment etc as the feedback will make it all the more useful!

is anyone doing anything similar?

cheers
    muss1

Sort of! I spread 10k across a bunch of companies that interest me for long term (never sell) investments in order to get a minimum holding. Then I'm using $50k play money to buy shares, leaving the profit in my never sell investments.

The plan is to end the year with a bunch of extra shares and $50k, the $10k original investment will be chalked up as a loss / perma-investment.

Not the best way to invest by any means (pretty stupid, actually), but just a bit of fun

PS:I left you a comment on your blog but don't think it worked. I recommend looking at SCL and THL because they're likely to go up at the end of February, making them a good short term investment for your game. DYOR, JMO, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi Lewy,

Thanks for checking it out. I will add SCL and THL to my list of companies to look at. Your comment didn't show, any idea what went wrong? Short term rerates will be key to my philosophy, although the companies will still need good long term prospects. Interesting philosophy you've set up yourself. I traditionally buy and hold, but decided to do the one year timeframe to add a bit of spice.

Good luck

Well I unexpectedly completed my first full position today. Mobile Embrace is the company (ASX:MBE). I had an order in not expecting to be filled after a strong opening but it was.

I made a few posts today as I had the day off and was able to do some research (while watching a good black caps win). I won't always have the time to post so much, but hopefully a few times a week.
    Last edited by muss1; 25-01-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added ticker

I considered investing in Empired (ASX:EPD) after the recent lowered guidance and subsequent sell-off. I have added my brief reasons for decided not to to the blog.

Initiated a position in TFS Corporation (ASX:TFC) today. I believe it's fundamentally undervalued, although it is a long term play. I've written a couple of posts about it:

http://20kstockproject.blogspot.co.nz

Are you just going to be doing the ASX?

I'm looking at both the ASX and NZX. Out of the stocks I am already monitoring the ones on the ASX have presented better opportunities. The NZX stocks I am currently monitoring are all more fully valued presently. I am currently building a list of companies that I think are worth further investigation which will include both exchanges

No new companies to report, but I've added a couple of posts. Namely, why I haven't invested in XPD Soccer Gear, and a theory on TFC.

So you are Trading the 20k over the year holding round 4 shares at a time ?? ..or investing ?
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu