sharetrader
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Guess depends on your faith in the world still needing commodities in bulk anymore(*esp after a record crash already) ..and if they don't then world economies truly are in BIG trouble...GFC#2

During the last GFC I held NZO at the time they were very cashed up and the market didn't smash them anywhere as bad as the rest of the market ...

then while many good companies were at rock bottom prices I took my funds from NZO and loaded up ....round a year later I had posted a 123% av. gain across the portfolio >>> my best Yr on Yr result

Too me MGX is another NZO ...if the market does look very likely to tip I'll be shifting my funds there...as in Deflation CASH - GOLD etc rule
    Last edited by JBmurc; 09-03-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I have faith the world needs commodities, but I have no faith in perfectly timing the turnaround in the cycle. As I said above, I've gone in on the assumed bottom in my main portfolio, but that's because I've chosen companies that have the ability to ride out continued subdued commodity prices If required. Their SPs will take a big hit though, and that's what is putting me off for this portfolio.

I agree with your philosophy completely though, it's a great opportunity and one that doesn't come around every year. But will it be this year or next year when the share prices reap the rewards

It's been a while since I updated the blog, but I'm working away in the background.

I sold TFC today. I'm also close to a new purchase or two.

http://20kstockproject.blogspot.co.n...rporation.html

Latest portfolio update. I recently purchased Adacel technologies, but haven't had time to write about it yet.

http://20kstockproject.blogspot.com/...-22032016.html

The Best gains I've found is the bounce from FEAR in a sector .... like we seen from the GOLD PM sector last year >> Iron ore this year and OIL &Gas of late but still very much in FEAR ....so imho O&G is one well worth keeping an eye on ....then of course Base metals will rebound likely further out

As we know the market is all about FEAR of losing capital and GREED of missing out..... time it right and you are rewarded

disc - yes I do focus on the resources Energy sectors .....but one could put the same idea across their preferred market
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Thanks JB. All positions I've initiated in this portfolio came off the back of significant drops in SP. I enjoy buying when others are fearing the worst, so I think we are on the same page.

I am admittedly a novice when it comes to resources. I recently bought into a debt free cashed up gold miner/explorer (my horizon is long term so I waited for the breakout of the last few years downtrend before getting in). I've been watching the sector for years waiting for a turnaround in the gold price.

I'm looking into other resources too, so I'll see how I get on. As I said I'm still learning about the sector so bound to make some mistakes. From what I see the key things are no debt and cash and the ability for the company to survive if the commodity price remains subdued.

Do you usually focus on the smaller miners?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Bet you're wishing you took my THL tip

You might not be too late on the SCL's one if you can get in for less than $2.30...
    I think waiting for a little fear drop might be good, but there's word of lots of Chinese trying to get their money out and about. The thing to remember about shares is that you can't lose anything by not investing, but investing when you're certain will almost certainly give results.

NZX:VHP are interesting at the right price. Also NZX:FHP @ < $10

Quote Originally Posted by muss1 View Post
    Thanks JB. All positions I've initiated in this portfolio came off the back of significant drops in SP. I enjoy buying when others are fearing the worst, so I think we are on the same page.

I am admittedly a novice when it comes to resources. I recently bought into a debt free cashed up gold miner/explorer (my horizon is long term so I waited for the breakout of the last few years downtrend before getting in). I've been watching the sector for years waiting for a turnaround in the gold price.

I'm looking into other resources too, so I'll see how I get on. As I said I'm still learning about the sector so bound to make some mistakes. From what I see the key things are no debt and cash and the ability for the company to survive if the commodity price remains subdued.

Do you usually focus on the smaller miners?
    Yes mostly the smaller end of town sub 100mill ....but that's me looking for muti-baggers ... now and again I'll have play in the bigger caps
    STO,NCM etc ...more so swing trade

Hi all, sorry it's been so long for those following, but here's an update. A few new purchases.

http://20kstockproject.blogspot.com/...-02052016.html

The portfolio is complete. In an unplanned way, but when value presented itself I had to act.

http://20kstockproject.blogspot.com/...-complete.html