sharetrader
Page 208 of 214 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 4273
  1. #4141
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The Republicans didn't "nominate their best man" and they knew it. The GOP hierarchy hated Trump.

    Trump was a symptom of a deep seated sickness in the US, and the Democrats have played their part in that. They won't be the cure.
    Sure there are deep seated issues including racial, social and economic divisions and disparities. Four years of Trump helped exacerbate them - akin to a playground bully hitting his victim's pre-existing injury. A majority of Republicans supported (and support) that President even to this bitter end.

  2. #4142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    rural canterbury
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The Republicans didn't "nominate their best man" and they knew it. The GOP hierarchy hated Trump.

    Trump was a symptom of a deep seated sickness in the US, and the Democrats have played their part in that. They won't be the cure.

    What do you think is the sickness and what do you think is the cure?

  3. #4143
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Fill the Swamp!

    Trump's parting gift to America: Making sure the swamp - and swamps around the World -are filled with his people!

    Hours before leaving office, Donald Trump undoes one of the few measures he took to 'drain the swamp'
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/300210642/hours-before-leaving-office-donald-trump-undoes-one-of-the-few-measures-he-took-to-drain-the-swamp

  4. #4144
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,039

    Default

    The faintest of light will always overcome the deepest darkness.

    Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can drive out darkness.

    Let’s now give the USA our best wishes and the benefit of hope and light.
    Last edited by Balance; 21-01-2021 at 08:35 AM.

  5. #4145
    AWOL
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vacation
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    What do you think is the sickness and what do you think is the cure?
    Personally I think you are 4 years too late identifying the sickness.

    Trump was the only alternative that the US citizens had been offered to combat Hilarity Clinton.

    Just shows you what they thought of her if they were prepared to put up with Trump.

    Now we have an old sniffer dog and a 2% in the primaries running the free world and as a cure for all mankind.

    Will watch with interest as to how long Mr Biden lasts.

    GLTAM
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 21-01-2021 at 08:38 AM.

  6. #4146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    LA/ChCh/AKL
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The Republicans didn't "nominate their best man" and they knew it. The GOP hierarchy hated Trump.

    Trump was a symptom of a deep seated sickness in the US, and the Democrats have played their part in that. They won't be the cure.
    Well said and the issues and sickness is multifaceted. The emotional side which drives so many people on a basic level is a clash and fight for ideas/beliefs.

  7. #4147
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,471

    Default

    An appropriate opinion piece in the NYT reflecting on the last four years which brought the worst out of many people ... but highlighting as well a way to come back together and build a better future:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/o...gtype=Homepage

    Lets surprise each other, shall we? Hate, lies and division only tear down societies, they never helped in building better ones ...

    Don't we all want to build a better society? Well, here we go ...

    On a footnote - it feels great to have again a grown up running the still most powerful country on the globe. While I am sure that I won't agree either with everything Biden does, at least I am sure it will be possible to understand (and sympathize with) what drives him. And hey - it is good to see a US president back on deck who does have values worthwhile sharing ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  8. #4148
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Ohakune
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    What do you think is the sickness and what do you think is the cure?
    The sickness.
    First there is the racial divide, then during the 1970s and 1980s, a cult of the individual was unleashed, as neo-liberal economic theory flew around the US like a virus.

    Schools, universities, hospitals and other institutions were recast as businesses in a ‘free market’; and students, patients and citizens as ‘customers’ or ‘clients’. Corporations were legally redefined as individuals, each seeking their own advantage. Manufacture was robotised or moved overseas, putting millions out of work. The perpetual overseas wars of the "military-industrial-complex" have diverted money from education, housing, healthcare, transport systems and social welfare. In a country of near-trillionaires, 30 million are living in poverty.

    In this seismic ideological shift, justice and morality have been marginalised. "Christians" try to serve both God and Mammon. A winner-takes-all mentality has weakened ideas of working for the common good and service to the wider community. Disrespect for others and for other life forms has contributed to a fractured democracy, ravaged communities, climate catastrophe and ecological collapse.

    The cure.
    I've studied ecology for the past 60 years. There are always feedbacks to maintain homeostasis in a system. The most stable systems, whether the Amazon forest or a human body, are the ones with complex feedback mechanism to maintain stability. Highly unstable systems have very simple feedbacks; famine, epidemics, wars, population collapse. We have created a highly unstable industrial/ecologial system. You can work out for yourself what the cure is going to be.

  9. #4149
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Personally I think you are 4 years too late identifying the sickness.

    Trump was the only alternative that the US citizens had been offered to combat Hilarity Clinton.

    Just shows you what they thought of her if they were prepared to put up with Trump.
    Remember that he got there due to their odd voting system (the Electoral College) - he didn't have a majority in the popular vote.

  10. #4150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    rural canterbury
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    .... There are always feedbacks to maintain homeostasis in a system. The most stable systems, whether the Amazon forest or a human body, are the ones with complex feedback mechanism to maintain stability. Highly unstable systems have very simple feedbacks; famine, epidemics, wars, population collapse. We have created a highly unstable industrial/ecologial system. You can work out for yourself what the cure is going to be.
    Interesting theory. But really the principle problems you are talking about are social. And social problems have many complex feedback mechanisms. The main mechanism is democracy I would think, and clearly some components of democracy are not functioning very well in America today. Perhaps the cure is to just let democracy do its job, which today it has.

  11. #4151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mid of Middle_earth
    Posts
    914

    Default

    The Vulgar_ian comedian of the WH is GONE!!!
    And that's enough for me for today.

  12. #4152
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Ohakune
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Interesting theory. But really the principle problems you are talking about are social. And social problems have many complex feedback mechanisms. The main mechanism is democracy I would think, and clearly some components of democracy are not functioning very well in America today.
    Democracy in the USA for the past two centuries has been the same as Democracy in Ancient Greece, government of the people, by a minority of white men, for a minority of white men, and that version of Democracy in the USA has created the social problems of an exploding population, with 10% living in poverty, nuclear missiles, a rapidly warming environment with increasingly severe cyclones, fires, floods, droughts and blizzards, and an armed and totally divided nation. The whole shebang is about to collapse before long. That's why I live in the back-country and only invest for short term profits.

  13. #4153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mid of Middle_earth
    Posts
    914

  14. #4154
    AWOL
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vacation
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Do us a favour.
    If you live in NZ, stick your head out the door, take a deep breath and tell us what you think of the rapidly warming environment.

  15. #4155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    rural canterbury
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    Democracy in the USA for the past two centuries has been the same as Democracy in Ancient Greece, government of the people, by a minority of white men, for a minority of white men, and that version of Democracy in the USA has created the social problems of an exploding population, with 10% living in poverty, nuclear missiles, a rapidly warming environment with increasingly severe cyclones, fires, floods, droughts and blizzards, and an armed and totally divided nation. The whole shebang is about to collapse before long. That's why I live in the back-country and only invest for short term profits.

    Yes American democracy could do with a tweak. Problem is, it wasn't designed to be tweaked.

  16. #4156
    AWOL
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vacation
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Well that didnt last long.

    BLM and Antifa are back at it again in Seattle and Portland.
    Bashing stuff up and setting fire to American flags.
    Oh yeah and graffiti with F--- Biden.
    So what is the Democratic president going to do with the Democrats running these two cities.

  17. #4157
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand.
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Trump maybe gone, but for how long? Will he be Impeached? As with many American political dramas, Mitch McConnell has a role to play. My pick ... he will want to preserve his precious GOP. He will canvas his Senate colleagues to see if they will side with him to support the impeachment. Otherwise they risk a major fracture and losses in 2022. He will not want that. He will realise that that attacks of 6th Jan will not be forgotten and politicians who inspired it are at risk of being cast aside. His choice will be to cast aside Trump to save the party

  18. #4158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    LA/ChCh/AKL
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Well that didnt last long.

    BLM and Antifa are back at it again in Seattle and Portland.
    Bashing stuff up and setting fire to American flags.
    Oh yeah and graffiti with F--- Biden.
    So what is the Democratic president going to do with the Democrats running these two cities.
    My pick is they try to continue to make it out for what is is not....

  19. #4159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    LA/ChCh/AKL
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Yes American democracy could do with a tweak. Problem is, it wasn't designed to be tweaked.
    No it wasn't, in addition you are dealing with a belief system taught through the education system around a Constitution.

  20. #4160
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b65671988afa5d

    Hope the rioters turn up on 20th January in Washington.

    Let’s see how brave they are and how many of the scums-of-the-earth are really prepared to die for the Fornicator.

    My guess? Not one.
    https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...45bdb8ab119129

    One protestor showed up.

    Fancy that - I have to admit I was wrong!

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/a-total-failure-the-proud-boys-now-mock-trump/LUWS2RVY5FKLJXQGOC2X4KPTHM/
    Last edited by Balance; 21-01-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •