sharetrader

Default Dividend Reinvestment

Hi,

I'd appreciate some assistance with understanding how dividend reinvestment affects total cost.

Example
    If I purchased 1000 ABC shares at $10.00 each with a brokerage fee of $100 - my total cost would be $10,100.

Let's say I received a dividend of 20c per share (ignore tax to keep it simple) and received a payment of $200.00

Assume the ABC share price is still $10.00 per share and I purchased 20 more ABC shares with the $200 from my dividend, thereby increasing my ABC holding to 1020. Let's say the brokerage fee was $20.00.

Does this mean that my new total cost for ABC is calculated as $10,100 (Initial Purchase) - $200 (Div) + $20 (Brokerage) = $9,920 and therefore my average share price for ABC is $9,920/1020 = $9.725?

Many thanks
    Mickey

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs down Those brokerage fees are a little high

There is taking the cash you receive for your dividends and using that cash to buy further shares in the same company through on market purchases - this is what you are describing.

There is also being paid your dividend in new shares in the company - this is generally known as a dividend reinvestment plan.

Anyway on the assumption that you knew that difference I would answer your question by saying No - not usually.

The cost of your 1020 shares is $10320 ($10100 + $220).

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Thanks PT - I thought that'd be the case. Yeah, I'd be spitting tacks if the brokerage rates I used in my example weren't fictitious :-)

So does that mean then for the other scenario - DRP - that I would have to adjust my spreadsheet for a particular share to increase the total cost by the value that the reinvested shares were struck at?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up Confidently answers despite lack of practical experience

I have to admit that despite my many years of share ownership I have never yet taken part in a DRIP, but as luck would have it, I have recently signed up for the DRIP in Heartland.

But come the time, Yes, I will record, as the price paid for these new shares, the specified strike price.1 2

Come the 5th April - I will be better informed.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

1 Though I do wonder about how to deal with the discrepancy where your dividend entitles you to say 99.467 shares and you only get 99.

2 Sorry - A little heavy on the commas there.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 11-03-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: try to correct some funny formating
    om mani peme hum