sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Investment - Commercial - residential property

Looking to take another investment in property after downsizing our personal Morg... to zero (thanks to buying a cheaper family home)

and with interest rates at record lows and looking like staying there for much longer i would like to add in some passive cash-flows

talking with the banks we should be able to borrow upwards of 700k

come across a few commercial properties one mixed use(retail/food/apartment)... another industry (has placemakers on lease)

I've also been keeping a good eye on the higher yield residential market down south ...

I personal don't see the point investing in property unless the yield is high 8%+ ...so most likely I'm not looking at great Capital Growth areas..in Central Otago

I am swaying towards commercial ....which even if I do go down the residential road will most likely have to be a block of flats so most likely classed as commercial ...

the Neg I see towards Commercial....must pay GST on top of company TAX rate ....less Capital upside ...more risk of nil income on lost tenant or bankrupt business etc

But then thinking of trying to get the same income to Capital in Residential houses ....I'll be buying many old houses dealing with many more tenants in the likes of Invercargill -Dunedin ...etc

in no hurry ....but do like the idea of $300-$400pw in passive income
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Looking to take another investment in property after downsizing our personal Morg... to zero (thanks to buying a cheaper family home)

and with interest rates at record lows and looking like staying there for much longer i would like to add in some passive cash-flows

talking with the banks we should be able to borrow upwards of 700k

come across a few commercial properties one mixed use(retail/food/apartment)... another industry (has placemakers on lease)

I've also been keeping a good eye on the higher yield residential market down south ...

I personal don't see the point investing in property unless the yield is high 8%+ ...so most likely I'm not looking at great Capital Growth areas..in Central Otago

I am swaying towards commercial ....which even if I do go down the residential road will most likely have to be a block of flats so most likely classed as commercial ...

the Neg I see towards Commercial....must pay GST on top of company TAX rate ....less Capital upside ...more risk of nil income on lost tenant or bankrupt business etc

But then thinking of trying to get the same income to Capital in Residential houses ....I'll be buying many old houses dealing with many more tenants in the likes of Invercargill -Dunedin ...etc

in no hurry ....but do like the idea of $300-$400pw in passive income

Take a hard look at the listed property trusts. In my opinion as a property investor of many years in residential, commercial- industrial these things are hard to beat. Don't overlook the PIE status.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Take a hard look at the listed property trusts. In my opinion as a property investor of many years in residential, commercial- industrial these things are hard to beat. Don't overlook the PIE status.
    Yes but i don't think the bank will loan me anywhere the amount of funds to buy LPT ...I've already got 150k loaned into the ASX

ANZ bank only values their own shares @ 5%-10% I'd say LPT be much the same ...stupid I know but thats the banks they just love bricks n mortar Vs paper assets etc

I'm basically looking for extra income from loaned funds in the property market ...so very low amount of my own free Capital ....but instead use homes Equity
    Last edited by JBmurc; 26-03-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Yes but i don't think the bank will loan me anywhere the amount of funds to buy LPT ...I've already got 150k loaned into the ASX

ANZ bank only values their own shares @ 5%-10% LVR I'd say LPT be much the same ...stupid I know but thats the banks they just love bricks n mortar Vs paper assets etc
    I understand that. LPTs have borrowed anyway so there's some gearing. I sold off a commercial bldg. and stuck a fair chunk into LPTs dribbled in over a few years. The benefits to someone who doesn't want to borrow anymore and is just looking for somewhere to dump the excess, are immense. After cutting my teeth in the 60s with residential including student houses (I'm in Dunedin) I got out of that and turned to commercial. Much much easier, but certainly can have its ups and downs, with bankruptcies, vacancies etc. I've had'em all! Your tax comments confuse me. Why company tax? And GST is paid in addition to rent by tenant - they don't care as it's an input claim for them, and it's an advantage to you because you can keep your loan a tiny bit lower while you accumulate the IRDs money (or do what I do and run an online bonus bond account to holdthe funds till due to pay out - never done any good, but it's not my money). One bit of advice Forget about being an absentee residential landlord - particularly with students. Believe me - I know!!
    Anyway, good luck.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 26-03-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Yes understood on the TAX ....need to talk with the accountant round my company structure that trades in the sharemarket (non GST) if i can use it to buy a commercial property as well (he did state it would be fine for residential) ...as it has tax credits that would save a good few dollars in TAX

Have owned a few residential rentals in the past ...can be a major hassle at times.... as to why I'm thinking about Commercial where it seems the tenants take care of pretty much everything outside keeping the building weathertight
    Last edited by JBmurc; 27-03-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Sounds like my share trading company can also buy Commercial property ....which is brilliant

Now one property I'm very keen on the owner isn't sure round GST on sale etc ...he stated he never claimed any when he purchased 20yrs+ ago so I wouldn't think he wouldn't have to pay any on sale zero-rated ?
    Could I then claim GST on purchase?

Legend

Sounds like my share trading company can also buy Commercial property ....which is brilliant

Now one property I'm very keen on the owner isn't sure round GST on sale etc ...he stated he never claimed any when he purchased 20yrs+ ago so I wouldn't think he wouldn't have to pay any on sale zero-rated ?
    Could I then claim GST on purchase?
    If he is GST registered he probably bought it zero rated, which is probably why he didn't claim it. Or is the rent under threshold where registration is compulsory? Has he been paying GST on rent? You need to check this with your accountant.

fp, i find your thoughts on LPTs very interesting and will be selling a rental soon and need to put the money somewhere. They are fully priced and when interest rates rise will LPTs drop in value? Also as you mentioned they already have gearing so they are not really suitable to use borrowed money to gear further. Would you recommend to buy a parcel in each of the LPTs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    fp, i find your thoughts on LPTs very interesting and will be selling a rental soon and need to put the money somewhere. They are fully priced and when interest rates rise will LPTs drop in value? Also as you mentioned they already have gearing so they are not really suitable to use borrowed money to gear further. Would you recommend to buy a parcel in each of the LPTs.
    Yes, LPTs could drop as interest rates rise, they will rise as rents are reviewed. They could rise further as bank depositors look for income sources. They are subject to the pitfalls of commercial property and the ups and downs of the share market, which is also subject to interest rate changes. A lot of these risks apply also to the property you are considering selling and the real estate market and other investments in general. If you do consider buying some, why not a few in each of five or six of them indeed. If you get a spread of PFI, STR, KIP, ARG, PCT and GMT you will have a good spread of office, retail, industrial, light industrial (service industries and warehousing) and a small number of development projects. There are a few others but those ones seem to be well managed with prime properties. You might also consider rym, sum or vhp who are in the retirement sector. As far as borrowing to buy I can't see any real problem as long as you are getting a return over borrowing costs and are happy that interest rates will stay low for some time. You wouldn't want your mortgage costing more as your investment weakened. I did what you are thinking of after selling a building. I plonked a large sum in and just consider it as another building. Comparing the risks - I think a spread of lpts is far safer than owning a commercial property because of the spread of buildings. And far less hassle and a higher return than residential. I think though it's all about what you are trying to achieve. In my case I had enough income without the LPTs - been retired for years - but like you needed a home for some money. Real estate is all I know, but couldn't be bothered with hands on any more. I chose LPTs (after a couple of bad experiences with proportional title schemes). I couldn't be happier. Steady income, nothing to think about, not even any need to keep records, reasonable capital growth and instantly liquidated. As far as being fully priced - they are in terms of the NTA as they all sell above their NTAs. In other words if the buildings were sold and cash distributed you would lose capital, but perhaps it just shows that buyers for shares in the trust are far more plentiful than buyers for multi-million dollar buildings. In other words they may always hold a premium over the NTA, they have for the last few years since I started watching them. I hope that is a bit of a help - if anything else, sing out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    If he is GST registered he probably bought it zero rated, which is probably why he didn't claim it. Or is the rent under threshold where registration is compulsory? Has he been paying GST on rent? You need to check this with your accountant.
    yeah the income from the mixed commercial property is under 60k p.a ...still it looks like it will be closer to 70-80k with a garage turning into another tenantable space.... so will have to be registered .....so would I be right if the current owner isn't GST reg...I could BUY and then register for GST on the likely higher income I could then claim 15% of the total value paid for the property ???
    Last edited by JBmurc; 30-03-2016 at 12:17 PM.