sharetrader
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Legend

Default When National wins again.

it seems ridiculous to carry on with the thread 'If National wins' It's been running for years when we've all known there hasn't been any alternative, and that will continue for the foreseeable future. So I'm creating this new thread where the malcontents can fire all the shots they want at the govt. I won't name them - they'll be queuing up soon to post their gloomy predictions, but for those of us in real world we don't have to stare at that ridiculous 'if' in the heading. We just accept that it's a foregone conclusion.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 10-04-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    it seems ridiculous to carry on with the thread 'If National wins' It's been running for years when we've all known there hasn't been any alternative, and that will continue for the foreseeable future. So I'm creating this new thread where the malcontents can fire all the shots they want at the govt. I won't name them - they'll be queuing up soon to post there gloomy predictions, but for those of us in real world we don't have to stare at that ridiculous 'if' in the heading. We just accept that it's a foregone conclusion.
    What's wrong, FP, too many pointed questions, facts and destructions of your arguments in the other thread? You can't dilute the other thread by starting another one that no-one will notice. Anyway, there's a typo back there in post #1, not a good start. Maybe we should ask Vince, the anonymous Angry Admin Guy, to relabel the real thread to 2017. There's too much good info there to blow it away, a lot of time spent. It also has a very high view count, one of the more popular threads on ST.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    What's wrong, FP, too many pointed questions, facts and destructions of your arguments in the other thread? You can't dilute the other thread by starting another one that no-one will notice. Anyway, there's a typo back there in post #1, not a good start. Maybe we should ask Vince, the anonymous Angry Admin Guy, to relabel the real thread to 2017. There's too much good info there to blow it away, a lot of time spent. It also has a very high view count, one of the more popular threads on ST.
    Thank-you indeed for pointing out my misspelling.
    There is no destruction of anything I have posted. Certainly a few arguing the point to no avail. Always the same names -those with a humourless and negative outlook on life.
    Anyway enough of that I'll leave you to digest the latest TV1 polls showing National back up to govern alone figures. Labour down of course. Poor old Andrew at 7% in preferred leader poll while Winston is at 10%. Time for Andrew to go I'd say, but I really don't mind if he stays.

Legend

Tell us eZ - what's got up Clayton's nose?

Great idea FP, I'm right behind you.

I hope you noticed Jacinda Ardern, the face of the future, the face that launched a thousand paddle bikes, steaming up there at 2%.

I think the voters liked the exercise in democracy by John Key and National. He had an idea, he launched it, he advocated it, he put it to the ultimate test - judgment by the voters and when that judgment came he accepted defeat GRACIOUSLY. Tell me, search the deepest recesses of your memory, can anyone ever remember Labour accepting defeat graciously?

So, going by EZ's discussion on the OLD thread re the latest poll, then in the worst case for National it would govern with the support of NZ First heh heh heh.

I loved the way Winston publicly on TV directly shot down Andrew Little's claim to be leading policy discussions with the Greens and NZ First for a combined effort in the next election.

It made Andrew look, well, Little....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    So, going by EZ's discussion on the OLD thread re the latest poll, then in the worst case for National it would govern with the support of NZ First heh heh heh.

I loved the way Winston publicly on TV directly shot down Andrew Little's claim to be leading policy discussions with the Greens and NZ First for a combined effort in the next election.

It made Andrew look, well, Little....
    I heard Andrew Little being interviewed on radio this morning. He stated they would have to be polling in the mid 30's next year to be competitive in the election. We all know that won't happen, so that's very close to a concession.

Legend

Still waiting for you eZ to tell us why Cosgrove is going? He's actually one of their better MPs, that they can barely afford to lose. Rumour has it that he couldn't abide the hypocrisy of Labour's stand against the flag and the TPP; the policies they had promoted.
    Or are there other reasons as well?

Mr Cosgtove said he may go early if the right opportunity comes up. I doubt he would have said that if there was not an offer in the wings, as he will look very lame duck if he hangs on, and on, and on. So that will be a chance for Mr Little to start the rejuvenation. Ms Street, next on the List, is not going to cut it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Mr Cosgtove said he may go early if the right opportunity comes up. I doubt he would have said that if there was not an offer in the wings, as he will look very lame duck if he hangs on, and on, and on. So that will be a chance for Mr Little to start the rejuvenation. Ms Street, next on the List, is not going to cut it.
    No she isn't. I was hoping for an insider's view of Cosgrove's departure but they've all gone quiet. I think Cosgrove's flying the flag and hoping offers come in - which they will. He's not setting a departure date - yet. Labour is going to be interesting to watch. They know Little won't win, but they also know they'll get laughed at when they drop him. Nevertheless I think Stuart Nash must have his eyes on the top job and if he plays his cards right he'll be in the hot seat come the election.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    No she isn't. I was hoping for an insider's view of Cosgrove's departure but they've all gone quiet. I think Cosgrove's flying the flag and hoping offers come in - which they will. He's not setting a departure date - yet. Labour is going to be interesting to watch. They know Little won't win, but they also know they'll get laughed at when they drop him. Nevertheless I think Stuart Nash must have his eyes on the top job and if he plays his cards right he'll be in the hot seat come the election.
    Nash was always on the cards as a Labour leader but they ignored him and gave the impression that he was something of an upstart. For his part in Napier, he has been upfront and obvious on a number of local issues, amalgamation with Hastings, police numbers, etc. This electorate is fairly evenly balanced and Nash was helped greatly in the last election by a split between National voters and the conservative candidate Garth Mc Vicar Who had a lot of local support.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Nash was always on the cards as a Labour leader but they ignored him and gave the impression that he was something of an upstart. For his part in Napier, he has been upfront and obvious on a number of local issues, amalgamation with Hastings, police numbers, etc. This electorate is fairly evenly balanced and Nash was helped greatly in the last election by a split between National voters and the conservative candidate Garth Mc Vicar Who had a lot of local support.
    Just looking through their MPs, there is no-one else

http://www.labour.org.nz/team

I don't think they'd risk Grant Roberson.

actually - I do have some respect for Kelvin Davis .... but might be still too early for him.

and obviously they still have Shearer, in my view their only recent leader who could have won an election. Open, honest, reasonable. Certainly the only one of the bunch who in my view would be better than Key (and this is not setting the bar too high).

Stuart Nash? Maybe, but even less experienced than Kelvin Davis, i.e. maybe next time or the time after?

But agree - in practical terms they have no alternative they didn't already burn out. Maybe that's a Leftie problem - they play too much with fire, next to not listening?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    actually - I do have some respect for Kelvin Davis .... but might be still too early for him.

and obviously they still have Shearer, in my view their only recent leader who could have won an election. Open, honest, reasonable. Certainly the only one of the bunch who in my view would be better than Key (and this is not setting the bar too high).

Stuart Nash? Maybe, but even less experienced than Kelvin Davis, i.e. maybe next time or the time after?

But agree - in practical terms they have no alternative they didn't already burn out. Maybe that's a Leftie problem - they play too much with fire, next to not listening?
    This is Nash's second term served 2008 to 2011 then local body for a term and back in parliament for his second term so he's reasonably experienced. Family name might help him although Nash was not highly regarded as P.M. I agree with you about Shearer. He didn't come across well as leader but has improved out of sight since. Dropped too soon I reckon. He's likeable which is rare among their last few leaders.

Although Shearer seems reasonable and middle of the road (a real ask of Labour who sometimes try to represent themselves as "centrist" apparently he had massive organizational and scheduling problems in his office and the PLP which is why he was dropped.

Where EZ is calling John Key a "liar" on the redundant thread (without any substantive evidence but just trying to bad-mouth someone whose success he is jealous of) immediately brings to mind Donald Trump's clumsy attempts to smear Ted Cruz by always referring to him as "Lyin' Ted Cruz". Observe the company you are keeping EZ!

Legend

Where EZ is calling John Key a "liar" on the redundant thread (without any substantive evidence but just trying to bad-mouth someone whose success he is jealous of) immediately brings to mind Donald Trump's clumsy attempts to smear Ted Cruz by always referring to him as "Lyin' Ted Cruz". Observe the company you are keeping EZ!
    It's not entirely redundant. It's an ideal outlet for eZ's venom go and have a look at his latest offerings.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-04-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Any thread with 2014 is increasingly ancient history. So, will EZ still be venting his spleen in November 2017 under the title If National Wins in 2014 while the opinion polls show National at 50% ?

Laughter.

He who doesn't learn from History, EZ, is doomed to repeat it!

Legend

Any thread with 2014 is increasingly ancient history. So, will EZ still be venting his spleen in November 2017 under the title If National Wins in 2014 while the opinion polls show National at 50% ?

Laughter.

He who doesn't learn from History, EZ, is doomed to repeat it!
    I'm still waiting for eZ to tell us why Clayton Cosgrove is throwing in the towel.

Advanced Member

I'm still waiting for Little to stand up in the house and deliver a complete sentence without having to read it from a large sheet of paper he holds directly in front of him. Maybe he hasn't heard of looking the opposition in the eye? Maybe it was delivered to him and he didn't have time to read it before he stood up? Maybe it's just that he is not fast-witted enough for the forum. If that's the case then he will be eaten alive by the cannibals in his own party, before long.