sharetrader
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: WBC - Westpac

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    .......As for WBC, looking back, it's been a good company to hold over many years - I've long since had my investment back in tax-free dividends.......
    Curious - how are they tax free dividends?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Curious - how are they tax free dividends?
    I hold on the Australian share register where full franking credits means no non-resident withholding tax is deducted when dividends are paid + I live in Hong Kong where dividends are not taxed (a simplified approach to the principle of no double taxation).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    Realistically you could add inflation to GDP from an expected capital growth perspective taking potential returns past 10% pa on current prices and sensible gdp/inflation estimates.

There is however downside risk while the current negative trend exists.
    If I could get 10% pa after tax notional returns in an environment where inflation is around 3%, I'd be queuing up all day long to buy.

I've not owned WBC before and notice that even though I bought these on the NZX, the dividend is paid in Australian dollars. I'm assuming that no NZ tax is deducted so I'd be grateful if somebody who is holding these could advise what I need to do to satisfy NZ tax obligations. Thanks.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I've not owned WBC before and notice that even though I bought these on the NZX, the dividend is paid in Australian dollars. I'm assuming that no NZ tax is deducted
    You assume incorrectly. Westpac dividends have had associated NZ imputation credits (to a limited degree) for several years now. You can claim these imputation credits as tax paid in New Zealand on your New Zealand income. However these imputation credits are not paid to 28% and are insufficient to extinguish your NZ tax obligations on the whole Westpac dividend.

so I'd be grateful if somebody who is holding these could advise what I need to do to satisfy NZ tax obligations. Thanks.
    As an NZ taxpayer you are not allowed to claim Australian Franking Credits. So when you get your dividend statement and it shows your Net Income in Australia (with franking credits deducted) then this becomes your Gross Income in New Zealand. Enter this gross income you get from Australia alongside any associated Aussie withholding tax paid if any (which perversely you are allowed to claim as tax paid for NZ purposes) in your 'overseas income' section of your NZ tax return.

SNOOPY

discl: WBC shareholder on the NZ Register.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 16-11-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    You assume incorrectly. Westpac dividends have had associated NZ imputation credits (to a limited degree) for several years now. You can claim these imputation credits as tax paid in New Zealand on your New Zealand income. However these imputation credits are not paid to 28% and are insufficient to extinguish your NZ tax obligations on the whole Westpac dividend.

As an NZ taxpayer you are not allowed to claim Australian Franking Credits. So when you get your dividend statement and it shows your Net Income in Australia (with franking credits deducted) then this becomes your Gross Income in New Zealand. Enter this gross income you get from Australia alongside any associated Aussie withholding tax paid if any (which perversely you are allowed to claim as tax paid for NZ purposes) in your 'overseas income' section of your NZ tax return.

SNOOPY

discl: WBC shareholder on the NZ Register.
    Thanks very much for your response Snoopy and for providing such clarity. Much appreciated :-)

I nearly spat out my lunch - WBC up 220c this morning and a divvy to come end of June - lovely

Quote Originally Posted by dabsman View Post
    I nearly spat out my lunch - WBC up 220c this morning and a divvy to come end of June - lovely
    The ScoMo magic ....good eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

bit of a smack down for Craigs this rise today , they just hated on Aussie Banks ,
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

IMO

3 years of opinion polls got it wrong ,
    Big four all up to 6% plus today. Election result and franking credits staying may be the reason
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 20-05-2019 at 12:51 PM.