sharetrader
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 106 to 117 of 117

Thread: Music Thread

  1. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Yes Beck imho is a better player than Clapton, and probably underrated. Most have heard of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, not so many Jeff Beck, let alone that all three came through the same band at various points - i.e. the Yardbirds.
    Still kick myself for not seeing one of his shows here, especially when he was with Jan Hammer, his early albums Truth and so on are very good as well, Rod Stewart better then as well.

  2. #107
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    [QUOTE=Joshuatree;752406]

    This is mind-blowing ly good in idea, film sound, direction,production and musicianship.
    https://youtu.be/cHLbaOLWjpc

    Orkestra Obselete play Blue Monday using dodgy 1930's instruments.








  3. #108
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,024

    Default

    [QUOTE=Joshuatree;752440]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post

    This is mind-blowing ly good in idea, film sound, direction,production and musicianship.
    https://youtu.be/cHLbaOLWjpc

    Orkestra Obselete play Blue Monday using dodgy 1930's instruments.







    Cool stuff ..thanks
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  4. #109
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,024

    Default

    Talking of guitars blind performer Garrumul is quiet cool ....he was left-hander but he played a right-handed guitar, holding it upside down.

    Gurrumul has an amazing voice and his quitar work is pretty good. One of my favourite videos is Gurrumul accompanied by Missy Higgins. Can’t understand a word but cool as and highlights how much respect Missy Higgins has for Gurrumul.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBCytQZvOMo

    Jimmy Hendrix was left handed and played a right handed guitar but he changed the strings around to make it easier.
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  5. #110
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,375

    Default

    Browsing through Amazon a few weeks ago (as you do because our local music shops are crap) came across a Mumford and Sons concert on blu ray. Live in South Africa Dust and Thunder. Now had a chance to give it a few plays and love it. Its a great live arena rock concert. Video and audio quality just spot on. Camera does a really good job of capturing band members and audience while the 5:1 gives an immersive concert experience. (Will have to wait for an empty house before I can really crank up the volume for more realistic experience!)


    All tracks worth a listen but stand out ones for me are: Tompkins Square Park and Dust Bowl Dance. And the advantage of blu ray over CD is the extra tracks which includes another standout There Will Be Time feat Baaba Maal. Wow - love him!! Hes a Sengalese musician and I am now off to find more of his music.

    MM rating of 9.5/10

  6. #111
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    Interview with Steve Hackett , great guitarist for earlier Genesis on RNZ national this morn bought back happy memories and friends of the 70's when their best prog rock music was produced imo."Selling England by The Pound" my fave but a brace of great albums came out.Nursery Crimes, Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail, trespass, lamb lies down On broadway".


    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (Full Album Remastered)

  7. #112
    Guru peat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand.
    Posts
    4,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Interview with Steve Hackett , great guitarist for earlier Genesis on RNZ national this morn bought back happy memories and friends of the 70's when their best prog rock music was produced imo."Selling England by The Pound" my fave but a brace of great albums came out.Nursery Crimes, Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail, trespass, lamb lies down On broadway".


    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (Full Album Remastered)
    Fantastic album...
    though I would never use YouTube to listen to music
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

  8. #113
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    Agree. Just easy when im on the comp. Have 2 albums on CD.

  9. #114
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    Mouse On Mars a current electronica fave
    Mouse On Mars - Katang

  10. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Anyone going to Joe Bonamassa at Spark in a couple of weeks? I would but have holiday booked since Feb and the plane takes off about the time he is due on stage - playing a few of his older songs too going by recent set lists
    If anyone is , please report back, ....or maybe I don't want to know

  11. #116
    An Awesome Cool Cat winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    24,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Anyone going to Joe Bonamassa at Spark in a couple of weeks? I would but have holiday booked since Feb and the plane takes off about the time he is due on stage - playing a few of his older songs too going by recent set lists
    If anyone is , please report back, ....or maybe I don't want to know
    Loved Joe concert in Edinburgh a couple of years ago

    Going to Fleetwood Mac in Dunedin weekend before Joe's Chch gig but heading further south for a look around so alas no Joe for me this time around

    Joe with Beth Hart is amazing
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

    –Benjamin Graham”

  12. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Loved Joe concert in Edinburgh a couple of years ago

    Going to Fleetwood Mac in Dunedin weekend before Joe's Chch gig but heading further south for a look around so alas no Joe for me this time around

    Joe with Beth Hart is amazing
    The stuff he did on the Beacon Theatre DVD with Beth is very good, especially I'll take care of you. Not so much of a fan of the two CDs I have that they recorded together- has done a 3rd last year I think it was - have not heard it
    Forgot about the ChCh gig - again if anyone goes please let us know how it went.

    Looking forward to the release of another live CD from Sydney Opera House, due out Oct 25th - JB is one of these artists, imho, who is better live than on studio record.
    Went to both his previous concerts here, first one was Auckland Town Hall and next was at Aotea centre. Now doing Spark in Auckland and a CH CH gig - must be a bigger following now
    Wish he would bring Joanne Shaw Taylor as a support act, though he does not usually do support acts or her on her own would also come here- again she is better live than on record from what I have heard/listened to

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •