sharetrader
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Thread

I got out 2 cd's yesterday and gave them a spin - one old(ish) and one new. 1st one Live in the Heart of the City - Whitesnake and the second one, Songs from the Road - Joanne Shaw Taylor - magnificent, the Cd's not too bad either
    Last edited by Jay; 28-11-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

I still prefer Push the Sky Away
    I love this when I'm feeling suicidal.

Cultural vandalism? Or a rich dude making a point?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-punk-relics/
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Cultural vandalism? Or a rich dude making a point?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-punk-relics/
    A mate and me were having a similar discussion recently, as much as the majority of these punk bands were against the "establishment" by their very success they are now part of the establishment plus some so called punk bands may have started that way, but then became mainstream rock bands.
    So he has got a point to a degree - not that it bothers me what he has done

We've been a bit quiet on this thread. So slight change in tact. I've been bitten by the Upgradeitis Bug.

Amp was a Yamaha RX-V2500. The only time I was really happy with it was CD in Pure Direct mode with all the crap digital processing turned off. Movies were OK, but rear channels also disappointed. And I've been out with the YPAO and Sound Meter fiddling for ages but extracting very little more.

So share market has been kind to me this year and I'm off. Just got an Anthem MRX 250. 5 channels is all I need. Don't want DSP bull****. Just something a bit more pure to source.

Set up was easy enough. Loving the HDMI cables - thats cut a few optical out of the equation. Also got my SACD player back out as the six extra set of wires was too much to deal with.

The Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is fantastic! So now time to go through the music collection before next purchase arrives.

First cab off the rank tonight: Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening At Vienna Opera House. Blu ray Version.

I have this on CD. On the Dust Bowl track the percussionist is shaking a plastic bottle with sand / stones in it. On the Blu Ray / Yamaha combo that sound simply does not exist. Its most unsettling to see him shaking with no sound. But tonight its coming through with the Anthem. So on that basis alone so far very happy. But early days. Much more to go through yet!

Edit. So time for a "reference" CD. What better than Pink Floyd DSOTM, SACD version. Well, my 5 speakers have gone. Instead I'm now just surrounded by lovely smooth, silky enveloping sound. This is one great album to test all five speakers and the Anthem is treating it with the respect it deserves. Early days but so far so good.

Edit (final One for the night). Robert Plant / Alison Kraus on Raising Sand. This is a test of vocals and silence. Hmm, velvety smooth and crystal clear. Perhaps a bit more warmer when compared with the Yammies Pure Direct version. A very nice way of ending the evening.

Spoilt by a ****ing aftershock!
    Last edited by minimoke; 20-01-2018 at 01:23 AM.

I've been thrashing all the remixes of Bob Marleys 'Sun is Shining' today - of course the Funkstar version is the best and have had that version on mp3 all this century

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/su...xes/1224531503

https://open.spotify.com/album/4l8hxXnWvWObUZEuyWzyjs
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Robert Plant / Alison Kraus on Raising Sand..........that’s one cool album

Must get it out today
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

Update Ready To Install

Still havnt checked that album out , have read lots of great reviews on it.
    Playing Pink Floyds Ummagumma album atm that i picked up from my local CD store when it finally closed down; on my two Peerless speakers which are about 37 years old. Have replaced the rubber surrounds on the bass speakers (2 in each cabinet) and havnt found a better sound to upgrade to atp. Matched with a pioneer A400X amp. My ears have lost a little at the higher end though.
    This experimental album 1969, really opened my mind up to creativity when it first came out. Also has one of my fave song titles on it; "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict"

I experienced Ummagumma back in the 70's , it was a pretty freaky album for a 15 year old. Was lent to me by an older friend. To think the same band did The Wall !

back then a cheap stereo, now have Kef Reference Series Two which are also pretty old , but not as old as those Peerless
    Last edited by peat; 20-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Sometimes the planets align and you are one step closer to heaven. Tonight's that night. I've got no one at home, shares portfolio at a new high, steak on the BBQ, no shortage of the juice of the vine and a delivery from Amazon.

So first concern put aside. New amp with only 100w per channel. No problems. I've been giving it a hammering for the last 6 hours with no problems what so ever. The Anthem is a very nice bit of kit and giving the spiders in the tweeters a bit of a shake out as they haven't been moved for a while.

Any way another package in the mail today. And a message for local retailers. If I cant get local I'll go offshore. $30 for a cd plus a 2x cd and dvd inc postage. Who can complain at that!

So tonight I've been giving PSB a run . No . Not Pet Shop Boys (cubism) which I still rate as a top 10. But Public Service Broadcasting.

Started with Inform - Educate - entertain on CD. That was a great entrée.

Then into Live At Brixton cd. Amp up full or at least -20 for me which isn't quite ear bleed level. But still with heaps left to go.

And then the DVD. Well worth the buy and a great way to finish with "Everest".

This is one very musical amp so no complaints at all so far. Hours of listening with no tiring.

Anyway, Shiraz has run dry. Now onto the Islay single malt and Rodger Waters "In the Flesh"

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Sometimes the planets align and you are one step closer to heaven. Tonight's that night. I've got no one at home, shares portfolio at a new high, steak on the BBQ, no shortage of the juice of the vine and a delivery from Amazon.

So first concern put aside. New amp with only 100w per channel. No problems. I've been giving it a hammering for the last 6 hours with no problems what so ever. The Anthem is a very nice bit of kit and giving the spiders in the tweeters a bit of a shake out as they haven't been moved for a while.

Any way another package in the mail today. And a message for local retailers. If I cant get local I'll go offshore. $30 for a cd plus a 2x cd and dvd inc postage. Who can complain at that!

So tonight I've been giving PSB a run . No . Not Pet Shop Boys (cubism) which I still rate as a top 10. But Public Service Broadcasting.

Started with Inform - Educate - entertain on CD. That was a great entrée.

Then into Live At Brixton cd. Amp up full or at least -20 for me which isn't quite ear bleed level. But still with heaps left to go.

And then the DVD. Well worth the buy and a great way to finish with "Everest".

This is one very musical amp so no complaints at all so far. Hours of listening with no tiring.

Anyway, Shiraz has run dry. Now onto the Islay single malt and Rodger Waters "In the Flesh"
    Afternoon mini how's the hangover?

Nothing like seeing agood live concert in the flesh (excuse the pun, not intended). Saw Roger Waters live on Wednesday, yes a bit OTT on the political visuals, but wasn't there to see that, all about the music, and the overall "show" which as brilliant.
    Thought I would rate "The Wall" show a few years ago as slightly better, mainly due to the political stuff.
    Yes I know it is all in the lyrics anyway, so no need to be so in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Afternoon mini how's the hangover?
    I probably ought not be driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Nothing like seeing agood live concert in the flesh (excuse the pun, not intended). Saw Roger Waters live on Wednesday, yes a bit OTT on the political visuals, but wasn't there to see that, all about the music, and the overall "show" which as brilliant.
    Thought I would rate "The Wall" show a few years ago as slightly better, mainly due to the political stuff.
    Yes I know it is all in the lyrics anyway, so no need to be so in your face.
    Colour me green!

Think I have only seen Waters live once and that was when Pink Floyd was at Knebworth 19XX. What a concert that was! The Floyd, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Tears for Fears, Cliff Richard and teh Shadows, Robert Plant, Mark Knopfler, Genisis and Paul McCartney. It was just the most massive of days and I remembered most of it.
    But thanks to technology it was captured on film and transferred to Blu Ray. So no guesses what I'm off to do now!

(and word from the wise - make sure the cap goes back on the bottle before hitting the sack. Damn stuff evaporated over night!)

Those two shows mentioned above and Pink Floyd here at Western Springs in 88 would be in my top 10 concerts I have seen

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Those two shows mentioned above and Pink Floyd here at Western Springs in 88 would be in my top 10 concerts I have seen
    I recall George Thorogood opening Santana in Wellington, heaving in the second row with the bro's passing the beers and spliffs (amongst themselves , what a night, it was the number one concert for me. George was amazing doing his opening, copybook album perfect slide guitar and vocals, just as you would expect, but on the day he graciously deferred to Santana who was truely great!

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I recall George Thorogood opening Santana in Wellington, heaving in the second row with the bro's passing the beers and spliffs (amongst themselves , what a night, it was the number one concert for me. George was amazing doing his opening, copybook album perfect slide guitar and vocals, just as you would expect, but on the day he graciously deferred to Santana who was truely great!
    Saw Carlos in Brisbane around 1969 surrounded by Aussies he was peaking ,as was everyone there.Music the universal language .One of humanities greatest achievements can cross all boundaries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kl6...C8D05Q&index=2
    and perhaps its biggest failings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj6y6tohW_0
    Then GAGA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edV1Px8NHk4
    Last edited by stevo1; 28-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.

One of the more memorable gigs I have experienced was in Sydney some time last century — a small venue filled with funny smelling smoke and noisy as hell ....but Jimmy Barnes was amazing that night

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    One of the more memorable gigs I have experienced was in Sydney some time last century — a small venue filled with funny smelling smoke and noisy as hell ....but Jimmy Barnes was amazing that night
    The useful thing about this century is I'm sure we can correctly refer to last century as "the good old days" Fond if not distorted memories of Jimmy Barnes / Cold Chisel performing in a club on the outskirts of town. Probably accounts for my iffy hearing now. Also Icehouse / Flowers and Midnight Oil if live ozzie bands can be listed.

Yep mini, the good old days

Experienced Van Morrison is some dark dingey club in London years ago. That was pretty cool.

Van seems to be ageless ....play his latest album from last year a lot.