sharetrader
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Thread

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Who could forget this classic

'lock the taskbar' by The Clash

https://youtu.be/WEWG6kSYqlY

Time for a bump.

So on my playlist today was Adele 25. Well, I'm sorry but I dont know what all the fuss is about. By the end of this album if I had a choice between scratching my eyes out and listening to another track I'd now be blind. I just find her voice so tiring and grating.

Keeping with a numerical theme, onto Bon Ivor 22 a Million. Now thats more like it. Much more interesting. Some great melodies lyrics worth listening to and more than enough to keep me engaged and wanting more.

I was going to give Leonard Cohen So you Want it Darker a spin, but answering my own question i instead went for Nick Cave and Skeleton Tree. My oh my, its dark. Its a great album, but not one I think I could handle too many repeat plays. I still prefer Push the Sky Away and if I need a laugh theres always Murder Ballard's.

Needing a bit of a cheer up it was Pet Shop Boys Super. Its OK, I guess but I'm not sure there is anything original in there. I think I might just go back to Cubism - a $2.50 DVD I picked up from the warehouse for a decent back catalogue refresher.

And to finish the afternoon Sia - This is Acting. Now thats better. So much better than that ghastly Adele. Not a bad "pop" album. I reckon she does a better job of her lyrics than the ones she does for Adele so might be some kind of irony in there.

And now I'm off to pull out Flaming Lips Yoshemi Battles the Pink Robots. Think it might be a long day!

not a huge Adele fan, find it all a bit overwrought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLqfX62u_I

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I was going to give Leonard Cohen So you Want it Darker a spin, but answering my own question i instead went for Nick Cave and Skeleton Tree. My oh my, its dark. Its a great album, but not one I think I could handle too many repeat plays. I still prefer Push the Sky Away and if I need a laugh theres always Murder Ballard's.
    Been listening to 'Skeleton Tree' a lot...dark, yes...but beautiful and so, so raw too. 'Darker' is worth the bother - I thought it was the best of his contemporary efforts.

Pulled out an old R.E.M cd last night - Out of Time still pretty cool
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

–Benjamin Graham”

I got out 2 cd's yesterday and gave them a spin - one old(ish) and one new. 1st one Live in the Heart of the City - Whitesnake and the second one, Songs from the Road - Joanne Shaw Taylor - magnificent, the Cd's not too bad either
    Last edited by Jay; 28-11-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

I still prefer Push the Sky Away
    I love this when I'm feeling suicidal.

Cultural vandalism? Or a rich dude making a point?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-punk-relics/
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

–Benjamin Graham”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Cultural vandalism? Or a rich dude making a point?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-punk-relics/
    A mate and me were having a similar discussion recently, as much as the majority of these punk bands were against the "establishment" by their very success they are now part of the establishment plus some so called punk bands may have started that way, but then became mainstream rock bands.
    So he has got a point to a degree - not that it bothers me what he has done

We've been a bit quiet on this thread. So slight change in tact. I've been bitten by the Upgradeitis Bug.

Amp was a Yamaha RX-V2500. The only time I was really happy with it was CD in Pure Direct mode with all the crap digital processing turned off. Movies were OK, but rear channels also disappointed. And I've been out with the YPAO and Sound Meter fiddling for ages but extracting very little more.

So share market has been kind to me this year and I'm off. Just got an Anthem MRX 250. 5 channels is all I need. Don't want DSP bull****. Just something a bit more pure to source.

Set up was easy enough. Loving the HDMI cables - thats cut a few optical out of the equation. Also got my SACD player back out as the six extra set of wires was too much to deal with.

The Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is fantastic! So now time to go through the music collection before next purchase arrives.

First cab off the rank tonight: Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening At Vienna Opera House. Blu ray Version.

I have this on CD. On the Dust Bowl track the percussionist is shaking a plastic bottle with sand / stones in it. On the Blu Ray / Yamaha combo that sound simply does not exist. Its most unsettling to see him shaking with no sound. But tonight its coming through with the Anthem. So on that basis alone so far very happy. But early days. Much more to go through yet!

Edit. So time for a "reference" CD. What better than Pink Floyd DSOTM, SACD version. Well, my 5 speakers have gone. Instead I'm now just surrounded by lovely smooth, silky enveloping sound. This is one great album to test all five speakers and the Anthem is treating it with the respect it deserves. Early days but so far so good.

Edit (final One for the night). Robert Plant / Alison Kraus on Raising Sand. This is a test of vocals and silence. Hmm, velvety smooth and crystal clear. Perhaps a bit more warmer when compared with the Yammies Pure Direct version. A very nice way of ending the evening.

Spoilt by a ****ing aftershock!
    Last edited by minimoke; 20-01-2018 at 12:23 AM.

I've been thrashing all the remixes of Bob Marleys 'Sun is Shining' today - of course the Funkstar version is the best and have had that version on mp3 all this century

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/su...xes/1224531503

https://open.spotify.com/album/4l8hxXnWvWObUZEuyWzyjs
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Robert Plant / Alison Kraus on Raising Sand..........that’s one cool album

Must get it out today

–Benjamin Graham”

Update Ready To Install

Still havnt checked that album out , have read lots of great reviews on it.
    Playing Pink Floyds Ummagumma album atm that i picked up from my local CD store when it finally closed down; on my two Peerless speakers which are about 37 years old. Have replaced the rubber surrounds on the bass speakers (2 in each cabinet) and havnt found a better sound to upgrade to atp. Matched with a pioneer A400X amp. My ears have lost a little at the higher end though.
    This experimental album 1969, really opened my mind up to creativity when it first came out. Also has one of my fave song titles on it; "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict"

I experienced Ummagumma back in the 70's , it was a pretty freaky album for a 15 year old. Was lent to me by an older friend. To think the same band did The Wall !

back then a cheap stereo, now have Kef Reference Series Two which are also pretty old , but not as old as those Peerless
    Last edited by peat; 20-01-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Sometimes the planets align and you are one step closer to heaven. Tonight's that night. I've got no one at home, shares portfolio at a new high, steak on the BBQ, no shortage of the juice of the vine and a delivery from Amazon.

So first concern put aside. New amp with only 100w per channel. No problems. I've been giving it a hammering for the last 6 hours with no problems what so ever. The Anthem is a very nice bit of kit and giving the spiders in the tweeters a bit of a shake out as they haven't been moved for a while.

Any way another package in the mail today. And a message for local retailers. If I cant get local I'll go offshore. $30 for a cd plus a 2x cd and dvd inc postage. Who can complain at that!

So tonight I've been giving PSB a run . No . Not Pet Shop Boys (cubism) which I still rate as a top 10. But Public Service Broadcasting.

Started with Inform - Educate - entertain on CD. That was a great entrée.

Then into Live At Brixton cd. Amp up full or at least -20 for me which isn't quite ear bleed level. But still with heaps left to go.

And then the DVD. Well worth the buy and a great way to finish with "Everest".

This is one very musical amp so no complaints at all so far. Hours of listening with no tiring.

Anyway, Shiraz has run dry. Now onto the Islay single malt and Rodger Waters "In the Flesh"