sharetrader
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 113
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default Kiwi Property Group Limited

    Any comment on KPG's property portfolio revaluation of $175.9m or the 3.30cps final div? I'm probably a tad concerned that online trading may well impact their mall tenants in the not too distant future. So, is the revaluation fair?

    Disclosure: Holding.
    Last edited by Waiuta; 16-05-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    A quote attributed to Margaret Thatcher goes along the lines of
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Yes, online trading will eat into mall sales, but against that, there are a lot of strange people out there that consider it fun to spend hours at a shopping mall.

  3. #3
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wandering Free
    Posts
    766

    Thumbs up Bought new socks recently

    Do not quote me on this but I think that much of the property gain can be attributed to the current low interest rates and how that is factored into the valuation methodology.

    Reversing the property revaluations out there is still a significant increase in 'operating profit', due to the lower interest rates & possibly the capital raising during the year?

    I own some KPG and may read the report properly later and form a less uninformed view.

    I recall reading recently that NZ is growing up and that the likes of H&M & another companies are invading (we already have them here in KL) so whilst they may drive a hard bargain with the likes of KPG and affect the (retail clients of KPG) competition I do not believe that physical retail therapy in NZ is quite dead yet.

    Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 16-05-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    om mani peme hum

  4. #4
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,428

    Default

    Mall owners are now facing a few challenges.
    The Farmers are now putting pressure on mall owners.
    The Farmers own store is a "major" and as such pays a modest rental,as do the likes of Pak'n Save/Countdown, and The Warehouse.
    So Farmers now own Stevens,Bed bath and beyond,Pascoes, Whitcoulls,and another Jeweller [whose name I forget].
    I believe they have already managed to have Whitcoulls rent substantially reduced in one ChCh mall,which is owned by Kiwi Property.
    I would expect they will be doing the same for all their chains' stores.
    I do not see Michael Hill, for example, being happy paying a higher rental than Pascoes.
    Last edited by percy; 16-05-2016 at 04:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Possum in the headlights Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,858

    Default

    Don't necessarily disagree with posters above but on the other side of the coin KPG are morphing their malls into a more comprehensive product offer. An excellent example of this is our closest mall in New Lynn Auckland where they have added a whole new extension wing of bars and restaurants along with the Reading Cinema complex and this addition has really transformed the whole mall into a diversified shopping and entertainment complex. Its frequently been extremely difficult to get a car park whereas before this transformation the place was looking a little sad and under patronised. On a side note, Lynnmall was N.Z.'s first shopping mall and I remember starting my career in 1980 just over the road at an accounting firm and I would wander over the road and do my shopping when it was nothing much more than an open strip of shops with a walkway down the middle.

    I'm pretty sure malls will keep morphing as they have always done in the past on as required basis to stay relevant.

    To answer the Op's question, the revaluation is the result of valuers using lower capex rates in their valuation model's consistent with interest rates and capitalisation rates at 60 year lows so yes the revaluation is fair in this ultra low interest rate environment. Amazing that you can borrow money fixed for 2 year's at only 3.99%. Never seen that before in my career.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-05-2016 at 04:37 PM.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Mall owners are now facing a few challenges.
    The Farmers are now putting pressure on mall owners.
    The Farmers own store is a "major" and as such pays a modest rental,as do the likes of Pak'n Save/Countdown, and The Warehouse.
    So Farmers now own Stevens,Bed bath and beyond,Pascoes, Whitcoulls,and another Jeweller [whose name I forget].
    I believe they have already managed to have Whitcoulls rent substantially reduced in one ChCh mall,which is owned by Kiwi Property.
    I would expect they will be doing the same for all their chains' stores.
    I do not see Michael Hill, for example, being happy paying a higher rental than Pascoes.
    Tenants have always fought for lower rents. Major tenants like Farmers do know that if valuation rentals are not paid then new development stops. So rent reviews are often contested, but while there may be a bit of a variation between two valuers, it usually won't be much of a problem because rent levels are general ratcheted. New development is forever forging new rent levels.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    520

    Default

    [QUOTE=Roger;620311 Amazing that you can borrow money fixed for 2 year's at only 3.99%. Never seen that before in my career.[/QUOTE]

    He He, I can remember the good old days ( Roger Douglas ) when my home mortgage rate was 20% !!

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastern BoP..
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kura View Post
    Yes, online trading will eat into mall sales, but against that, there are a lot of strange people out there that consider it fun to spend hours at a shopping mall.
    Spending nothing more than time...

  9. #9
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastern BoP..
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Spending nothing more than time...
    Disc. Hold no retail..

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Spending nothing more than time...
    Last time I went to a big mall was to collect something I ordered online pay-and-collect. The item had to be shipped from another location, as the shop closest to me did not stock it. For my trouble my car received a ding in the car park. So next time it will definitiely be an online courier delivery and no visit to the mall.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    It varies
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Re the current offer for 20m new units. I wonder if we will have to jump through as many hoops to subscribe to these and then at the price which is only a couple of cents discount at this stage. My recent experience with the GMT issue has me hesitating, but then I have not received the paper work yet.
    Soolaimon

  12. #12
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,313

    Default

    I would think that the same procedure as the GMT issue would apply - it seems to be necessary to comply with the restrictions on overseas ownership of land and property.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Don't necessarily disagree with posters above but on the other side of the coin KPG are morphing their malls into a more comprehensive product offer. An excellent example of this is our closest mall in New Lynn Auckland where they have added a whole new extension wing of bars and restaurants along with the Reading Cinema complex and this addition has really transformed the whole mall into a diversified shopping and entertainment complex. Its frequently been extremely difficult to get a car park whereas before this transformation the place was looking a little sad and under patronised. On a side note, Lynnmall was N.Z.'s first shopping mall and I remember starting my career in 1980 just over the road at an accounting firm and I would wander over the road and do my shopping when it was nothing much more than an open strip of shops with a walkway down the middle.

    I'm pretty sure malls will keep morphing as they have always done in the past on as required basis to stay relevant.

    To answer the Op's question, the revaluation is the result of valuers using lower capex rates in their valuation model's consistent with interest rates and capitalisation rates at 60 year lows so yes the revaluation is fair in this ultra low interest rate environment. Amazing that you can borrow money fixed for 2 year's at only 3.99%. Never seen that before in my career.
    Property values (thus cap rates) and interest rates are the opposite ends of a see-saw. That is why the best time to buy real estate, particularly housing, is when interest rates are high.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Property values (thus cap rates) and interest rates are the opposite ends of a see-saw. That is why the best time to buy real estate, particularly housing, is when interest rates are high.
    Good insight fungus. The question is will we consider today's interest rate high in 1, 2 or 5 years time?

  15. #15
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Tenants have always fought for lower rents. Major tenants like Farmers do know that if valuation rentals are not paid then new development stops. So rent reviews are often contested, but while there may be a bit of a variation between two valuers, it usually won't be much of a problem because rent levels are general ratcheted. New development is forever forging new rent levels.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Mistake
    Last edited by percy; 01-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.

  16. #16
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Property values (thus cap rates) and interest rates are the opposite ends of a see-saw. That is why the best time to buy real estate, particularly housing, is when interest rates are high.
    Excellent post.

  17. #17
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    14,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Property values (thus cap rates) and interest rates are the opposite ends of a see-saw. That is why the best time to buy real estate, particularly housing, is when interest rates are high.
    .................................................. ................................ duplicated.
    Last edited by percy; 01-11-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: duplicated

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    What's the group's opinion on this last paragraph of the offer .....

    Further details about the Retail Offer are included in the Offer Document, which can be viewed here. While participation in the Retail Offer is optional,if you choose not to acquire additional shares via the Retail Offer your shareholding will be diluted.On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank you for your continued support.
    A quote attributed to Margaret Thatcher goes along the lines of
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

  19. #19
    Possum in the headlights Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    What's the group's opinion on this last paragraph of the offer .....

    Further details about the Retail Offer are included in the Offer Document, which can be viewed here. While participation in the Retail Offer is optional,if you choose not to acquire additional shares via the Retail Offer your shareholding will be diluted.On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank you for your continued support.
    I hold some on behalf of my Mum and won't be participating in this capital raise. To me it makes no sense subscribing for new shares at $1.58 when the last recorded NTA is $1.43 per share.
    I can see why GMT and KPG are rushing to this new issuance when their shares are trading a such a premium to NTA, its a great deal for the company.
    Yes, strictly speaking your percentage of the company will be very slightly diluted but the value of your shares will increase because other people are subscribing for new shares at a material premium to NTA. What they're saying is technically correct but nevertheless slightly disingenuous.
    GMT issued shares at quite a substai8ntial premium to NTA because the industrial property sector is being perceived at present as very safe. This issue is not at quite such a premium but nevertheless is not a compelling offer by any means.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Thank you Beagle I appreciate your comments.
    A quote attributed to Margaret Thatcher goes along the lines of
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •