sharetrader
Page 10 of 181 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

I wouldn’t be too concerned in the long run. Yes I think commercial portfolios will be soft for lower rated properties as work-from-home trend continues, but there is plenty of conversion potential for tired properties. KPG has said they intend to enter build-to-rent market for residential market, and in a worse case scenario they can convert their older commercial properties to residential (lots of this already happening in Wellington from other developers).

Advanced Member

Off 3% today. Not seeing any news.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    I wouldn’t be too concerned in the long run. Yes I think commercial portfolios will be soft for lower rated properties as work-from-home trend continues, but there is plenty of conversion potential for tired properties. KPG has said they intend to enter build-to-rent market for residential market, and in a worse case scenario they can convert their older commercial properties to residential (lots of this already happening in Wellington from other developers).
    It seems the home office movement is bringing about the office to home conversion movement...now there's irony. Will be interesting to see at what level this happens and its impact on the housing crisis.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    It seems the home office movement is bringing about the office to home conversion movement...now there's irony. Will be interesting to see at what level this happens and its impact on the housing crisis.
    The interesting question is - how long will it last? Once the novelty wears off I think most people will be screaming to get out of the house. Interaction with people outside the family is important for sanity, as many will discover.
    I'd give the work from home movement 6 months at most before the majority return to their normal work premises. What's the point in having a job if not to escape the spouse!

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'd give the work from home movement 6 months at most before the majority return to their normal work premises. What's the point in having a job if not to escape the spouse!
    You might be right, but I hope not. At least in my workplace, we are 2-3 days working from home at the moment with the intention of rearranging our office space to make this permanent. Suits me to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The interesting question is - how long will it last? Once the novelty wears off I think most people will be screaming to get out of the house. Interaction with people outside the family is important for sanity, as many will discover.
    Another interesting question is, if people start spending more time at home when working, will they look to get out of their houses more or less when not working. I'd be inclined to think more as they "escape the spouse" which might assist out of house locations like malls.

Advanced Member

Went to Queensgate mall on Saturday on way to the city, crazy busy - has anyone been to the mall in Palmerston North lately?

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Went to Queensgate mall on Saturday on way to the city, crazy busy - has anyone been to the mall in Palmerston North lately?
    No but Mrs B and I just came back from an early dinner at Lynmall food court and she said she's never seen it so quiet. When you can get a park almost directly outside the main entrance you know its quiet. I think mall's like this one that experienced a significant boom with the addition of a movie theatre complex are feeling the effects of lower movie patronage with the abysmal lack of new movie content.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-07-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was very full. It was a damp Saturday to visit Palmy and the centre was grey and quiet but the mall was the complete opposite.

Palmy has some uniquely named eateries too....

Attachment 11810

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    Palmy has some uniquely named eateries too....

Attachment 11810
    Haha, we've got one of those in New Plymouth too. They do a great dosa. Of course at least half of NZ thinks New Plymouth and Palmerston North are one and the same...perhaps they should get married.

Now back on the working from home thing, like Cricketfan, I'm hearing a lot of peeps saying they're doing 2-3 days a week from home, which for many of us is a nice balance between work social requirements and spousal distancing :-) If done right and over the long term, this could equate to significantly less office space requirements for some companies. I suspect the biggest danger to this happening long term though will be piss taking and subsequent reduction in productivity.