sharetrader

Default Investing through ASX

Hi all

New to this forum, had a quick couple of questions. Thinking of investing in the Vanguard Total World Index (-US) through the ASX and wanting to make sure I figure out all I need to be aware of before doing so:

(a) Is ANZ Share and Bond Trading a reasonable choice of broker? I think they trade through E-Chess. Are there better options for ASX trading?
    (b) I gather that the FIF rules don't apply to the first $50K invested, and there are tax treaties in place between AU and NZ to avoid double-taxation of dividends / capital gains?
    (c) Other than that, I just need to be aware of foreign currency risk AU-NZ and AU-US? Is that right?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    S

Aus franking credits are not recognised in NZ so you will be taxed on Aus nett dividend. Non res with holding tax is included in NZ. There is plenty of info on here tho.

For purely ETF trading (e.g. Vanguard or ishares index fund), how do the following compare in terms of cost, including FX conversion / transaction fees / commission / underling fund fee:

a) US broker directly
    b) AU broker, purchase ETF listed on ASX
    c) NZ Smartshares (0.3% commission)

I may be missing something, but I don't see how the US & AU options stackup unless you hold the ETF for significant period (5 years + etc), with 0.3% commission vs 2%+ FX conversion loss. Would greatly appreciate some insight.