sharetrader
Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Default 2 weeks to go and the clowns in Westminster continue ...

The race to the bottom continues:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tephen-barclay

Ah yes - and apparantly there can't be for legal reasons an extension beyond July 1st - unless the UK takes part in the EU elections:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rt-eu-election

I reccon that's it. Good bye - Little Britain. Pity you allowed right wing liars and haters to destroy yourself.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

----

Advanced Member

_

It is a horrible deal that just about nobody really likes and there will be years of negotiations with the EU with Brexiter dreams still unsatsfied. However it may be passed by the UK parliament. Resources will continue to be spent on Brexit for years to come - to the cost of other issues.

In the meantime the “will of the people” has probably shifted from the 2016 referendum in favour of remain, but May remains adamant not to have a second referendum. So economic and personal disruption must be inflicted with a cost to the unity of the UK itself. A tortuous act of self harm in my opinion. They should Just get it done now. However, There are still decades of Brexit to come.

Advanced Member

Why was Brexit really promoted?

The richest UK man - Brexiteer Sir James Radcliffe - the elite of the elite - has recently moved to Monaco.

He will only make the UK top of the list of countries to make his Land Rover defender 4x4 project if the UK government stumps up cash. With most forms of Brexit set to impede car manufacturing, will the government subsidise the Brexiter’s business to try to allay the costs of Brexit to British workers and the British economy?
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...ses-bmw-engine

No-deal Brexit could mean £130m hit to research budgets

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...search-budgets

Amazing - my son (working in acdemia) told me already before the BREXIT referendum that Brirish universities after a BREXIT will end up without research money in a lot of the proverbial. This is as well the reason that researchers left (and are still leaving) British universities in droves.

Not rocket science - but hey - Nigel, Boris and Theresa just wanted to destroy Britain, its economy and its world class research - didn't they? Whatever is necessary to make Putin happy. Looks like they will be successful.
    ----

Advanced Member

People who benefit from academic research - i.e. all of us - will be disadvantaged from the disruption caused, even if temporary, until other countries and institutions compensate for the Brexit Dark Age for academia and research in the UK.

I have friends involved in education in the UK. Most have started to ignore Brexit news as no-one in the government seems to care less about them. Apparently many UK school graduates would rather study in the USA now as they consider that Brexit Britain will stagnate with horizons limited. The Conservative Party is pandering to its supporter base (not the young or academics.) Prior to Brexit the goal of achieving intelligent pupils was to study at the top UK universities.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-03-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Advanced Member

From June 2016:
    Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    automotive industry in the United Kingdom is now best known for premium and sports car marques including Aston Martin, Bentley, Caterham Cars, Daimler, Jaguar, Lagonda, Land Rover, Lotus, McLaren, MG, Mini, Morgan and Rolls-Royce. Volume car manufacturers with a major presence in the UK include Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Vauxhall Motors....

watch these brands do better in the UK
    How are they going now?

Advanced Member

From June 2016:
    Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    No matter what happens now, this Brexit thing will be resolved. Whether you like it or not depends on how you judge the outcome eventually to your liking. Sometimes, chaos is good. In fact there is even orderliness in chaos
    Chaos is good for whom? Rich Brexit promoters who shift to Monaco and then bribe the UK government to keep their business in the UK?

Advanced Member

From June 2016:
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Brexit a big thumbs down to the neo-liberal agenda. Perhaps other countries will follow suit. The EU is a very flawed model, not that Britain was part of that, but obviously had other implications in regards borders etc. I don't blame Britain for leaving, in fact I think it was brave and much of the rear lobbying by the Bremain camp will be proven false.

Clip, I assume you mean Southern Ireland ? If so you should retain a European passport that in two years won't include Great Britain . I would get it renewed smartish though
    Since 2016, The support for remaining in the E.U. has grown in member states including in the UK.

It turns out that the UK has a more flawed model than the E.U. as the Omni shambles in the government continues.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 20-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Default Pathetic, incoherent, chaotic

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rexit-shambles

When he started out as a young civil servant, said Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, a German MP from the liberal Free Democratic party, Britain was “always held up as a model of good diplomacy, of pragmatism and of self-restraint”.

That was then. Now, with the UK’s scheduled exit barely a week away and still no clarity in sight, “No one would sign up to that view,” Lambsdorff said. “Now, the UK is seen as neither pragmatic, self-restrained, nor a model.”
    Some have responded with humour. Nathalie Loiseau, France’s Europe minister, said recently that if she had one, she would call her cat Brexit: “It wakes me up miaowing because it wants to go out. When I open the door, its sits there, undecided. Then it looks daggers at me when I put it out.”
    Some British politicians are “on another planet”, Lamy said, incapable of seeing that Brexit is the infinitely complex diplomatic and legal equivalent of “trying to take the eggs out of an omelette. Even today, they spout the most monstrous nonsense. Many have still not landed in a place one could call reality. The cognitive dissonance is … remarkable.”
    Most damaging of all, Prouza said, was Britain’s “sense of entitlement … It was all: ‘We are the UK, we are the big guys. You need us for business, in terms of security, you export so much to the British market.’” The result? “We always looked up to Britain as an example of how a country could be ideally run. All that has gone up in flames.”
    “A ****-show that just goes on and on,” said one official. “Makes you wonder how they ever ran an empire,” said another. “British politics is quite broken at the minute,” said Lisa Chambers, the Brexit spokesperson for Fianna Fáil, the main opposition party, more diplomatically. “People have been surprised just how chaotic it’s been.”
    I think this goes without further comments ...
    ----

老外

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blobbles View Post
    Good points but I find his presentation manner irksome!

Brexit was promoted by Brexiters as if the British egg in a box of eggs could simply be removed and placed on its own pedestal. Unfortunately reality is that it is like removing an egg from an omelette.

PM Theresa May has become full-on populist now. She has the connection to “the will of people” thereby over-stepping the elected MPs. She said that she alone, not the elected MPs, is on the people’s side. This enables her to define the “will” of the people in her own way. This is despite polls clearly showing that a large majority of the public do not support her Brexit dealings.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-democracy-mps
    Last edited by Bjauck; 24-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.

”You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” -Rabindranath Tagore

老外

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Good points but I find his presentation manner irksome!

Brexit was promoted by Brexiters as if the British egg in a box of eggs could simply be removed and placed on its own pedestal. Unfortunately reality is that it is like removing an egg from an omelette.

PM Theresa May has become full-on populist now. She has the connection to “the will of people” thereby over-stepping the elected MPs. She said that she alone, not the elected MPs, is on the people’s side. This enables her to define the “will” of the people in her own way. This is despite polls clearly showing that a large majority of the public do not support her Brexit dealings.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-democracy-mps
    I find his presentation style to be on-point, it reflects the general mood of people I know in England over the past few years - absolutely frustrated, flabbergasted, exasperated, exhausted.

But he cuts to the heart of the matter, politicians broke the social contract they had to represent the best interests of the people.
    Last edited by blobbles; 24-03-2019 at 11:11 AM.

What happens if Theresa doesn’t last past Monday
    ”You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” -Rabindranath Tagore