sharetrader
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Default Brexit

Looks like im going to loose my EU passport. What other ramifications? Time to hit amazon.co.uk.

Advanced Member

It might be easier for young New Zealanders to gain work permits.

There are also going to be some sporting implications. The quality of the premier league could drop, European players maybe have to be subject to the same rules as non EU players, ie have to be established internationals.

English Jelly babies from New world should become cheaper, while buying online from the UK should be cheaper, in the short term at least. Your running shoes will likely be cheaper if buying from the UK , however as most will be imported they will eventually increase their retail price in the UK

Back to taking multiple currencies on your Europe, if Britain go, so will a few others may make plans as well??
    Though with Credit cards etc these days not so much of a drama

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Is this just the start? Will France, Italy etc follow and cause the disintegration of the E.U?

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Is this just the start? Will France, Italy etc follow and cause the disintegration of the E.U?
    Yes .... the ongoing nightmare of the non elected euro political elite controlling all the nations of the union will continue to fall apart ....

pound falling light a stone = brilliant for UK exporters , tourism
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Looks like im going to loose my EU passport. What other ramifications? Time to hit amazon.co.uk.
    I have a UK passport via grandfather from Ireland, I believe I read something from another friend in the same situation that they're ok, is that the case? Had mine issued before the EU was a thing etc.
    Also if it were currently expired, would brexit have an impact on my being able to get it renewed?

Guru

Brexit a big thumbs down to the neo-liberal agenda. Perhaps other countries will follow suit. The EU is a very flawed model, not that Britain was part of that, but obviously had other implications in regards borders etc. I don't blame Britain for leaving, in fact I think it was brave and much of the rear lobbying by the Bremain camp will be proven false.

Clip, I assume you mean Southern Ireland ? If so you should retain a European passport that in two years won't include Great Britain . I would get it renewed smartish though
    Last edited by Daytr; 25-06-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

I have an Irish passport (free because I am over 65) although I a told that that has changed. I am entitled to a United kingdom passport on two grounds. 1, My parents were born in the Irish Republic before 1922. 2, Because I served as a regular soldier in the British Army. I have also registered my claim to UK citizenship with the Home Office in London and I have a reply to present to whoever at the relevant time. There is also a grandparent clause that allows the issue of an Irish passport but i am not sure of the details. I have been here since 1960 so I am sure I could squeeze NZ citizenship out of someone if I really wanted to.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    I have a UK passport via grandfather from Ireland, I believe I read something from another friend in the same situation that they're ok, is that the case? Had mine issued before the EU was a thing etc.
    Also if it were currently expired, would brexit have an impact on my being able to get it renewed?
    Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    ...There is also a grandparent clause that allows the issue of an Irish passport but i am not sure of the details....
    When I enquired about ten years ago, I was entitled to an Irish passport as one of my grandparents was Irish born. Also I am entitled to a British Patriality Certificate on the basis of another grandparent being Britsh-born. Perhaps if you have a Northern Irish grandparent you would be entitled to both UK Patriality and Irish Citizenship?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Brexit a big thumbs down to the neo-liberal agenda. Perhaps other countries will follow suit. The EU is a very flawed model, not that Britain was part of that, but obviously had other implications in regards borders etc. I don't blame Britain for leaving, in fact I think it was brave and much of the rear lobbying by the Bremain camp will be proven false...
    Are you referring to the "lobbying" by independent economists and other "experts". Being "brave" may have the cost of a shrinking economy. When the health service and social security system feel the pinch from reduced funding from a shrinking economy, lets hope those Brexiteers voters give up their places in the queues to those who voted Remain.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...endum-36616385

Boris Johnson: 'There is no need for haste'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...s-to-leave-eu/

Brexit: business leaders react as Britain votes to leave EU

Update Ready To Install

Should invoke the cooling off period

What about oops.....that's not what we promised http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...n-nhs-spending

Veteran novice

Brexit only the second most embarassing Brit action this last week.

Iceland 2 England 1

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Brexit only the second most embarassing Brit action this last week.

Iceland 2 England 1

They should try again. Won't be hard to get a couple of million signatures supporting a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    They should try again. Won't be hard to get a couple of million signatures supporting a replay.
    @Queen_UK: Text from Roy Hodgeson: "If we lose, can you ask Nicola Sturgeon to veto it or something? Thanks" #ENGICE
    “What the wise man does in the beginning, the fool does in the end”

Default Brexit - the Story: the beginning

Hmm - interesting.

Some 52% of British voters ready to vote on the day ticked the box "leave the EU". Their reasons? Well, various ... some racists and xenophobes thought that "leave"means that they can now send the muslim and Polish people home (some of them living in the UK for several generations, and the muslims mainly a consequence of failed Commonwealth policies).
    (http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/27/eu...s-post-brexit/).

Some of the Exitus voters believed in the ridiculous lies thrown up by some political clowns like Boris Johnson ... promising the same (not even existing) money to various groups of the population as well as a "close the door to immigrants policy"
    (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-7103076.html)
    So - at the end they voted for a bribe and got a hangover and the boot.

Some (many) of the voters had no clue what they are doing and googled after the election "What is the EU" to find out.

Some of the Brexiters wanted to give Cameron the finger, and others the leader of the opposition (Corbyn). A number of the Brexiteers had no clue that it was Labour's policy to stay in the EU.

None of the English Brexiters cared for the wishes of the North Island and Scottish population, who both want to stay in the EU - and the old Brexiters didn't care what their children and grand children asked for. A truly "United" Kingdom.

None of them seemed to have read and / or understood the paper of the crown analysts on Brexit - predicting a significant drop of the pound, and higher unemployment in case of a BREXIT

HM Treasury analysis : The long term economic impact of EU membership and the alternatives (PDF 201 pages)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ership_web.pdf

HM Treasury analysis : The immediate economic impact of leaving the EU (PDF 90 pages)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...the_eu_web.pdf
    (credit to hoop for finding these links ...)

Some of the voters are now ashamed of what they did - some older Brexit voters ask now the younger generation whether they ever can forgive them.

UK government as well as the opposition is crumbling - and the clowns who called the Brexit don't have a plan.

What a mess ....

Maybe we should use this thread to conserve the history of the BREXIT - maybe at some stage somebody can learn from it?

So - lets take a baseline how victory looks for idiots and for the backwards looking ... I shall revisit this metrics from time to time to track the progress:

GBP - down 12% (compared to USD) since the day of the referendum (1.4893) - i.e. the British lost 12% of their money, not even taking the stock crash into account);
    UK Credit rating - downgraded from AAA to AA;
    too early to measure the impact on unemployment (5% in April 2016)
    racial abuse in the UK increased significantly since referendum day - the BREXITER rats come out of their holes
    Scotland as well as Northern Ireland ask for independence referendums from the UK
    NZ immigration received in the 4 days since the referendum more info requests from the UK than they normally get in a month;

If you don't know what a Pyrrhic victory is - just look at this mess; Amazing that some people in this thread think that they have a reason to celebrate ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 28-06-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

While a majority voted to leave the EU, a very small minority of Brits voted for UKIP. The media can always find some redneck racists and economically clueless simpletons to provide infotainment - and any of us on the other side of the world can relate to it. But pro
    brexit' ex-pats I know are not anti-free trade or even immigration. They are simply fed up with the undemocratic bureaucratic nightmare that is Brussels.
    The EU have 10 000 officials earning more than the UK Prime Minister, the parliament has no power to even introduce or repeal laws, and their EU laws go from 31 regulating toothbrushes to 109 about pillows to 1246 regarding bread. (Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0 at 33:28 for the laws (hilarious)... all is eye-opening)

Of course there cannot be a second referendum.
    On the other hand, Nigel Farage will not be PM, Parliament is still sovereign and a majority of voters would support a deal with the EU even if it retained fairly open borders (as per the Norwegians and Swiss).
    Britain wouldn't accept paying the dues Norway does but holds two strong cards. Firstly, it imports more from than the EU than it exports (German cars etc). Secondly, many EU economies are fragile - witness the far greater fall in EU stockmarkets (and rising bond yields) than the FTSE.
    Provided the likes of Merkel have sufficient leverage over Brussels, I'm hoping there will soon be a commitment to conclude an initial free trade deal prior to the UK exit in 2 years (nothing like a deadline to get things moving) and everything will settle down. If not, I do have some concerns about the fragile Euro economies and financial contagion.
    Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by DarkHorse; 28-06-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Default Britain is far from DOOMED

Can't believe the amount of over hype rubbish on BREXIT of late ....on CNBC -Larry summers just stated its the worse outcome since WW2
    F.F.S!!!

Another over-hyped DOOM GLOOM getting pumped of late ... is the UK not having a plan on the exit etc .....well neither does the EU.

"The EU's leadership has demanded Britain activate Article 50 exit talks "as soon as possible" as they attempt to end the uncertainty over the bloc"

If you can work it out read it again ...."the UK will decide when it will leaves " so they haven't of course activated Article 50 ....but once they have.. then they have two years to negotiate the terms of its withdrawal. Extra time would only be allowed if the remaining 27 states all agreed...

the clock would only start once Britain formally notified the European Council.
    While David Cameron says voters would expect the process of leaving to begin straight away, he could delay and negotiate informally in the meantime.
    Britain could technically even ignore all of this, the Vote Leave campaign says, and simply write the EU out of its laws, although that wouldn't make future negotiations any easier.
    At the heart of this debate, then, is a question: how successful would British negotiators be at doing a deal with the EU, both for a short-term agreement to part, and a longer term trade settlement?
    Take one view, and you think complicated talks would take many years and, as the government argues, lead to a decade or more of uncertainty.
    Take another, and you think a huge - and hugely important - economy like Britain's is one with which the EU needs to do business, and so could extract an excellent deal.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...endum-35926576
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people