sharetrader
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465

Thread: Brexit

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddles View Post
    The funny part is him spruiking for donations for the prosecution on Sharetrader. I'd rather burn my money than spend it on a moronic prosecution of a politician from another country. He will never be found guilty.

Find me one politician, anywhere that doesn't lie.
    Sure fair enough and you may right about his being found guilty. There are degrees of deception. It could have ramifications for NZ as a common law jurisdiction however.

Hmm - can't avoid to see the posts responding to paddles (he is on my ignore list - the reason to get there is typically by spreading fake news).

Anyway - while I am happy to amuse him, he might consider that not everybody on here is supporting crooks and liars.

Some people do want to make this world a better place - and disencouraging crooks and liars to do their thing is part of that.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Brexit referendum promises have been hitting EU and British realities for years now. There is a documentary/video journal on YouTube that follows this pantomime from the EU (mainly following verhofstadt) perspective.

Brexit Behind Closed Doors
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkLF3KzePQ

UK EU election polls now indicate that The Brexit Party led by Farage is now more popular that the Conservative and Labour Parties combined.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 13-05-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Brexit referendum promises have been hitting EU and British realities for years now. There is a documentary/video journal on YouTube that follows this pantomime from the EU (mainly following verhofstadt) perspective.

Brexit Behind Closed Doors
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkLF3KzePQ

UK EU election polls now indicate that The Brexit Party led by Farage is now more popular that the Conservative and Labour Parties combined.
    The Brexit party is now also polling larger than the conservatives for the general election in the UK. https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201...election-poll/
    Last edited by blackcap; 13-05-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The Brexit party is now also polling larger than the conservatives for the general election in the UK. https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201...election-poll/
    That would mean that the Brexit Party would be in line to get serious numbers of MPs in the UK Parliament under their FPP system. I think No Deal Brexit has become the most likely result at the moment with so many switching to Farage.

Looking at the polls it seems that remainers have been switching to the Liberal Democrats and hard leavers have been switching to Brexit Party.

It is not surprising that the Conservatives have been losing support. They organised the referendum without a plan to enact the result. They elected a leader whose Brexit plan failed to garner sufficient support of her own party. The Conservative party leader then turned her back on her own MPs to try to get support from a very left wing Labour Party leader.

Brexit is now toxic to the UK as a whole but it is even more toxic for the Conservative Party. So it is no surprise that a populist leader with a “man at the local pub” image with beguiling seemingly simple solutions is gaining support.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 13-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Hmm - can't avoid to see the posts responding to paddles (he is on my ignore list - the reason to get there is typically by spreading fake news).

Anyway - while I am happy to amuse him, he might consider that not everybody on here is supporting crooks and liars.

Some people do want to make this world a better place - and disencouraging crooks and liars to do their thing is part of that.
    good summary in the huffigtonpost of what is happening:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0796a95dd85bd
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    good summary in the huffigtonpost of what is happening:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0796a95dd85bd
    It is interesting to read how the prosecution is progressing.

I read the linked article from Matthew Scott who takes a slightly contrarian view to Marcus Ball.

While the common law precedent is sparse on “misconduct in public office”, he thinks that it will be difficult to get a conviction on the point that he “must also have lied while “acting as” an office holder.”

Marcus Ball argues however that as Boris Johnson had his referendum travel expenses reimbursed from his MP’s expenses, Johnson lied whilst acting as an MP not merely as a referendum campaigner. It is that point which could be the stumbling block.

If the case succeeds, Scott opines that it will be those public office holders who campaign for minority causes who may then become the subject of police investigations. However, I think maybe they would need to be scrupulous in ensuring no public money is spent on their campaigning.

Anyway, an intesting case to follow.

Advanced Member

BoJo has publicly announced he wants Theresa May’s job as Conservative Party leader.
    It’s even more important now to find out if he lied whilst acting in public office.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 17-05-2019 at 08:27 AM.