sharetrader
Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1162

Thread: Brexit

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Comments on the debate of the "next prime minister"-s in spe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...than-freedland

Poor England, though on the other hand, they are at least responsible for the misery they did run into. They voted for Brexit (well, the majority of them who bothered to vote).

However - just spare a thought for the Scotts and the Northern Irish who are in this mess only due to to the English occupation of their territories. They asked neither for Brexit nor for a Brexit clown as PM.
    Brexit has become the central policy for many Conservatives, which they are determined to deliver no matter what the cost and no matter the extent of the neglect of other policy areas.

I ageee the N.Irish and Scots (and younger English and Welsh) are being taken out of the EU without the support of their people.

There is is no occupation of Scotland. The act of Union was adopted by the Scottish parliament and their most recent independence referendum showed support for the continuation of the Union. However the Scottish electorate support for continuing to remain in the UK could well change if the new Conservative PM continues to take the UK into a damaging Brexit mess.

Advanced Member

The approx 150,000 Conservative Party membership who will choose the next UK Prime Minister would prefer to trash the UK economy and break up the UK in order to leave the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8963391.html

So the Party that prided itself on being sound managers of the economy and patriotically pro-UK is dead. They are little Englander wannabe UKIP Party nationalist clones.

Well, yes the results from this poll are amazing:

Sixty-three per cent of members said they would be prepared to accept Scottish independence to get Brexit, while 59 per cent said the same about a united Ireland. Just 29 and 28 per cent were opposed, respectively.

“Significant damage” to the UK economy was also no deterrent, with 61 per cent in favour and 29 per cent opposed. Some 54 per cent said the Tory party’s complete destruction would still be a price worth paying for Brexit.
    Who needs to watch "Game of Thrones" when the daily news offer a much more abhorrent spectacle?

I guess history is full of revolting moments, but the members of a governing party hellbend to destroy their own country must still be something new ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, yes the results from this poll are amazing:

Who needs to watch "Game of Thrones" when the daily news offer a much more abhorrent spectacle?

I guess history is full of revolting moments, but the members of a governing party hellbend to destroy their own country must still be something new ...
    There has been a recent TV debate with the PM contenders. The audience as a whole gave a clear win to the moderate Rory Stewart, the Conservative party supporters gave a win to Boris Johnson. it seems that the Conservative party membership will force a PM onto the UK people, that the UK people do not want!https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...r-of-tv-debate
    Last edited by Bjauck; 20-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    There has been a recent TV debate with the PM contenders. The audience as a whole gave a clear win to the moderate Rory Stewart, the Conservative party supporters gave a win to Boris Johnson. it seems that the Conservative party membership will force a PM onto the UK people, that the UK people do not want!https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...r-of-tv-debate
    Interesting. Don't know enough about Rory Stewart, but he certainly appears to be less nutty than Boris.

I find it hard to believe that the UK leaves the decision about their next PM in such a critical situation in the hand of the party members of a (de-facto) minority government. A general election would appear to be the sensible thing to hold. On the other hand - it appears the British talent pool is empty - I see only Zombies heading most of their other political parties as well.

Probably just time for Britain to disappear from the world political stage and finish their demise which started after WWII. They might just join the countries who used to run the world before them: Greece, Italy (Rome), Spain, Turkey (Constantinople). Oops - looks like most of them (not Turkey, but they used to like to be ) are EU members, so why is Britain leaving the club?
    ----

Default Does the head of a government need to have a good character?

Obviously just a rhetorical question ....

I guess Donald Trump has a rotten character (measuring his lack of integrity and level of corruption) and he is even POTUS. Erdogan is a ruthless strongman who cracks down on opponents and critics by sending them without due process into prison and they made him to run Turkey.

So - what would be wrong to make a proven liar and a suspected partner abuser a British PM? I guess one could say, that is exactly what Britain needs and deserves - right?

Still - the guardian asked the question - would he pass a character test?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-who-know-him

In summary: many of the people who worked with him know (and are happy to confirm) that he is a liar who would be happy to throw his grandmother under the bus if it benefits him.

Go Boris - the UK needs you!

Obviously - character does not matter for a head of government. Here is the picture:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ohnson-cartoon
    ----

Advanced Member

As the UK wallows in its Brexit quagmire, inward foreign investment drops. Foreign investment into Sotland, where a majority voted to remain, halves.

Meanwhile Johnson refuses to rule out, if he becomes PM, suspending representative parliamentary democracy (proroguing parliament) in order to push through a hard Brexit. As he would become PM on the back of only 150,000 conservative party members, many of whom only recently joined and are ex-ukip members, this would in effect be a coup against the UK parliament.

Was that painted on the side of a bus during the Brexit campaign?

https://www.ft.com/content/6416a20a-...b-30c211dcd229
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit
    Last edited by Bjauck; 28-06-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Veteran novice

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    So far, the Brexit process has been joyless to so many including many Brexit supporters themselves. So it is Quite symbolic that these MEPs turn their backs to an Ode to Joy!

Brexiters have been given hollow promises by the UK government that the UK would already have left the EU by now, so I can understand their frustration even if I do not agree with them that Brexit is a good idea.

I thought that the EU anthem was actually without lyrics so I was surprised that it was actually sung.

Also When the Parliament president criticised the Brexit Party for not standing, he referred to showing respect to The anthem of another country. I disagree with him on that point. The EU is not a nation or country. So the Ode to Joy is an anthem of an International Organisation. Despite their taking their EU salaries, turning their backs to the EU anthem was not as much an affront as for example turning their backs would have been to the Marseillaise or God Save The Queen - in my opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hem-ode-to-joy

Sinn Fein refuse to take their seats in the UK parliament as a matter of principle (they do knot believe that Northern Ireland should be part of the UK) . I would have more respect for the Brexit Party if they did something similar by refusing to take up their seats in the EU parliament.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 04-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Welcome to 21st century Brexit Britain, where it's always 1940, where the sun's always shining, where the bluebirds are always over the white cliffs of Dover, where the Dunkirk Spirit courses through the nation's veins, where the roar of Spitfires fills the sky, and the ghosts of Winston Churchill and King Arthur stir fitfully in their uneasy sleep, ready to come to the rescue of the plucky little island standing alone but firm against the swirling tides of European tyranny . . .

Time to slowly and carefully go long on sterling and the FTSE100?
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 06-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Welcome to 21st century Brexit Britain, where it's always 1940, where the sun's always shining, where the bluebirds are always over the white cliffs of Dover, where the Dunkirk Spirit courses through the nation's veins, where the roar of Spitfires fills the sky, and the ghosts of Winston Churchill and King Arthur stir fitfully in their uneasy sleep, ready to come to the rescue of the plucky little island standing alone but firm against the swirling tides of European tyranny . . .

Time to slowly and carefully go long on sterling and the FTSE100?
    The Brexiters are in a world of their own where they can ridiculously associate EU membership with colonisation and slavery as MEP Widdecombe did in her speech in the EU parliament.

Just follow what the wealthy people behind the push for Brexit are doing to preserve their businesses....Dyson relocated his HQ to Singapore and Rees-Mogg's Somerset Management have established funds based in Dublin..

Advanced Member

Will a British Government led by an incoming Hard Brexiter PM oversee a purge of UK diplomatic and public service staff who are seen as Luke-warm towards Trump and Brexit?https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-view-of-trump

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Will a British Government led by an incoming Hard Brexiter PM oversee a purge of UK diplomatic and public service staff who are seen as Luke-warm towards Trump and Brexit?https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-view-of-trump
    Sure - why would a Brexiting UK need a diplomatic service anyway? If they need something than Trump will tell them what they get (aka no need for public health service anymore) and all other international interactions can be run through BJ's twitter account ...
    ----

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Not strictly Brexit, but if I were a 5 Eyes member country, I would be very very worried about the leaking of the correspondence of U.K. Ambassador to the USA.

In view of the various political responses in the UK, you really have to wonder if the U.K. is salvageable.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Not strictly Brexit, but if I were a 5 Eyes member country, I would be very very worried about the leaking of the correspondence of U.K. Ambassador to the USA.

In view of the various political responses in the UK, you really have to wonder if the U.K. is salvageable.
    Some think a UK government minister leaked the information, so the Conservative Government may still be more interested in its own divisions than working for the country they are supposed to be governing. The leak of certain memos is a quite limited leak in relation to the scale of activities of Five Eyes. The leak seems designed to sway internal power struggles within the Conservative Party.

Lots of damaging classified info leaks have also occurred in the USA.

It is a toss up at the moment as to whether it is the USA or the UK that is doing more harm to Five Eyes effectiveness?

As for whether the UK is salvageable. Who knows? Maybe it will disappear as the final act of the evolution of the British Empire into independent states. Many countries go through dark periods and have rebirths. The re-birth may see a distinctly different country. If Brexit continues to divide the UK, we may see the re-flowering of Scotland, the reunification of Ireland and the independence of the English Principality of Wales.