sharetrader
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default online brokers for international shares

I have a commsec account for shares on the ASX. Unfortunately, they will not allow me to trade international shares as I am unable to open an International trading account as I do not live in Australia. Can anyone suggest an alternative. i wish to keep this simple. Perhaps I just use a full broker in NZ that charges 1% brokerage.

I had an etrade account, then they stopped supporting NZ/AU clients and closed it. Then I got a Schwab one and they've just announced stopping support for NZ/AU too. The options are dwindling...

Thanks Entrep, so how do investors buy US stock with paying a fortune.

One option I use is CFD's with IG Markets ... it is a leveraged product though ... but it does give you everything on the NYSE, NASDAQ. Probably more for day traders perhaps but is cheap and easy to use

Bear

bear, as I am a long term investor I do not want to invest in CFD's. I would be very interested if investors just use full brokers to buy stock like visa, apple. Is 1 % brokerage acceptable. I do want to keep things simple. Online brokers give great access to the nzx and asx but how to get access to other markets is becoming a complex problem.

I have come across www.halifax.co.nz in nz. Has anyone got comments on their broking services?

Interactive Brokers - https://www.interactivebrokers.com.au/ - is a good option for the US. Min $10k USD capital requirement though.

levin123 can investors from NZ open an account?

Yes............

thanks smpl at last a solution. Do they have custodial? an out of interest is halifax the same company?

Not that I am aware.

Something about Halifax is dodgy, I got cold called by them which means someone sold my personal details.

Quote Originally Posted by smpl View Post
    Not that I am aware.

Something about Halifax is dodgy, I got cold called by them which means someone sold my personal details.
    I think Halifax uses Interactive Brokers under the covers. No need to involve them just go direct to IB.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by smpl View Post
    Not that I am aware.

I had a look at the Halifax website. Based on the website, I wouldn't touch them with a long pole.

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    i have used tdinvesting for 15 years (Internaxx when we joined). As an investor rather than trader I have to watch the fees and always have one activity per quarter. Have one EURO fund on high yield that pays the fees anyway. Great to deal with and bank seems sound. Does many many markets. Leaves The NZ options way way way back in the shadows.