sharetrader
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default online brokers for international shares

I have a commsec account for shares on the ASX. Unfortunately, they will not allow me to trade international shares as I am unable to open an International trading account as I do not live in Australia. Can anyone suggest an alternative. i wish to keep this simple. Perhaps I just use a full broker in NZ that charges 1% brokerage.

I had an etrade account, then they stopped supporting NZ/AU clients and closed it. Then I got a Schwab one and they've just announced stopping support for NZ/AU too. The options are dwindling...

Thanks Entrep, so how do investors buy US stock with paying a fortune.

One option I use is CFD's with IG Markets ... it is a leveraged product though ... but it does give you everything on the NYSE, NASDAQ. Probably more for day traders perhaps but is cheap and easy to use

Bear

bear, as I am a long term investor I do not want to invest in CFD's. I would be very interested if investors just use full brokers to buy stock like visa, apple. Is 1 % brokerage acceptable. I do want to keep things simple. Online brokers give great access to the nzx and asx but how to get access to other markets is becoming a complex problem.

I have come across www.halifax.co.nz in nz. Has anyone got comments on their broking services?

Interactive Brokers - https://www.interactivebrokers.com.au/ - is a good option for the US. Min $10k USD capital requirement though.

levin123 can investors from NZ open an account?

Yes............

thanks smpl at last a solution. Do they have custodial? an out of interest is halifax the same company?