sharetrader
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

GTM3442 thanks for the reply.
    The website is halifaxonline.co.nz and they told me they have a white label partnership with Interactive Brokers.
    Yes the lack of website info irked me too so I had to get emailed confirmation from them that there are no other inactivity, minimum account, exit fees etc (except they add +1% onto the spot price when making currency conversions), other than the low commissions listed on the website.
    Where else would they scalp the ticket that I need to be aware of (as I said I am new to this so any tips greatly received!).

Hi MSJ
    I decided in the end to purchase the ETFs on the ASX via commsec to keep things simple. Any individual US holdings purchased in future will be also by by commsec via there international side. This will be infrequent trades so I will not complain paying .6% brokerage on an infrequent basis.

Thanks for the recommendation Voltage! I shall check out Commsec too. Beware, I may return with questions..

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
    Hi GTM3442. I am looking for a broker (mainly for US focused ETFs) and Halifax seem to offer what I am looking for i.e. IB's platform and access to many markets, low commissions and no fees for my few annual trades.
    Is being a white label for IB something that one should be wary of? I am new to this so any helpful advice would be much appreciated. What is it about them that puts you off?
    One other thing - having looked at the website, I was struck by the fact that they dealt in everything. Shares, CFDs, forex, options, whatever.

I don't think that that's sustainable for an independent New Zealand-based outfit. So I figured they were a reseller for someone.

I remember the mess a couple of years back when the Swiss unpegged the franc from the euro. Lots of people wiped out, lots of brokers wiped out.

Which made me wonder what would happen when this crowd got wiped out. What exactly were the custody arrangements?

I thought to myself "Are their pockets likely to be deep enough to cope with something like that?"

The answer being "no", I wondered what would go down the toilet in such a case, and decided it might well be me. And I'm not agile enough to cope well with s-bends.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 28-10-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Very helpful, thanks GTM. I think I have made up my mind now about who to go with. This due diligence malarky has taken quite a while but it's all worth it. Be wary of S-bends!

Following is a New Zealand owned one. However, I don’t have any experience with them except some initial contact.

https://www.omf.co.nz/about-us

It is wise to do some home work on cost involved, customer service, integrity, reliability etc before selecting any broker.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/00/112100.asp

10 Tips For Choosing An Online Broker

Please share your experience with brokers to identify some best brokers in NZ.

Hi Marketwinner. Thanks very much for the tips. They have a good website which gives me all the info I would look for without having to probe further.

From my perspective, I think the next few years are going to be a roller coaster..Europe tumbling, war rumblings, Govt debts defaulting. There will be a banking crisis so I've decided to go for a well established, well-encrypted, award winning US based broker, as my focus at this stage is mainly to have US holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
    Hi Marketwinner. Thanks very much for the tips. They have a good website which gives me all the info I would look for without having to probe further.

From my perspective, I think the next few years are going to be a roller coaster..Europe tumbling, war rumblings, Govt debts defaulting. There will be a banking crisis so I've decided to go for a well established, well-encrypted, award winning US based broker, as my focus at this stage is mainly to have US holdings.
    Hi MSJ

That means you are going to adjust your portfolio according to coming roller coaster. I also have plan for any roller coaster. It may be wise to include more defensive stocks (great businesses only) during second half of 2017 and in 2018.My future portfolio will reduce highly risky areas and will include less risky areas. Even during period of war or recession there will be demand for certain products and services.

If I don’t mind can you name your award winning broker in the USA? Everybody has their own taste or interest. My mantra is I will stay with simple business, markets, commodities, stocks or commodities that I can understand and brokers that I can understand. For example it is easy to understand USD than NZD, AUD or CAD.

Other thing is in any roller coaster; there will be opportunity for some and misfortune for some. If anybody wants to invest in the banking or finance sector, they will have to choose strong financial stocks.

Always, there will be some predictions. But they never come true.

Even Forsyth Barr has some link with foreign brokers. How about direct broking? Which broker provides the best services for UK market?
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 30-10-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Interactive Brokers is my pick.

Index investing rather than direct stock picking is more for me. My mantra (prediction) is follow Martin Armstrong - he made it easy for me to understand the bigger picture. Capital will flow to the States for the next few years, so I aim to follow the trend.

Direct Broking as was, now is ANZ Securities? They advised via email they cannot allow me access to US exchanges.
    I don't plan to really invest in the UK market, but IB has access if I need. If you are resident in the UK I know Hargreaves Lansdowne has a v good rep.

Who is your favourite broker?

I prefer individual stocks because I like to do research. It also gives great return in the mid and long term. Index investing is also not that bad when compare with some others. It is also compatible with long term investing goals.

I don’t have any favorite broker yet. I like few at the moment: Forsyth Barr and ASB Securities. I am looking for somebody different to others. I expect strong USD in 2018.

I haven't read any writing of Martin Armstrong yet. I like to study bigger picture before anything else.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 30-10-2016 at 03:58 PM.