Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I think Kingfish is fine for dipping a toe in the water. Investing is like learning French - add a little knowledge every day and fluency will increase over time. Once you have shares, suddenly they and their sector get a lot more interesting.

One thing you could do is look at sectors, eg retirement, retail, infrastructure. Set up a mock portfolio on ASB or ANZ Securities and watch the companies and their announcements for a while.

A question - are you looking to buy a property? That might change what you do. However, renting even forever might be a good option - you sound like an excellent tenant who will usually be top of a landlord's list. Plus rent is probably cheaper than home ownership, with no maintenance hassles.
Sadly I am not in a position to now ever be able to own my own home. I don't have enough earning capacity to save the required deposit, and I don't have enough working years left to service a large enough mortgage to purchase a house (a mortgage broker and my bank have confirmed this). So I have to face the reality that I'm stuck renting. Having owned my own home in the past (with my ex pre divorce) I have to say renting sucks but facing the reality of one's situation is, I think, the first step in any financial planning process. Miracles do happen but I'm definitely not banking on one!

Thank you for the comment re Kingfish - "dipping my toes" is exactly how I'm looking at it.