I started by investing $1000 at a time...so chose something to invest in and then while I was getting ready/saving up for next choice did more research and kept doing that until I had 10. (or whatever you feel comfortable with) By this time I had been watching and evaluating previous buys and saw some that had been better than others so started adding to those positions. Its like a good garden..has to be maintained and tended to if you want it to flourish. Smartshares are good but you wont learn as much if you hand control over to someone else.
Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
Yes figuring out how to create diversity is a bit of a "head scratching" activity right now. Given the small amount I have to invest (which will grow but still be small compared to most) - I really have no idea what the best option is from here on. Am I better to focus on building my Kingfish holding to (say) 5000 shares, before I look at alternatives? Or should I be looking at company no:2 for my next saved $1000-2000? As per my previous posts I like the concept of ETF but there are so many to choose from - hypothetically, if I were to go with Smartshares, how do I decide which fund to go with? (SmartLarge, SmartSmall, SmartDividend etc; and then NZ, AUS, US etc). Right now I'm leaning towards SmartDividend (assuming dividends can be reinvested) as that seems like a good way to grow my small holding.

Lots to think about and lots more learning needed. Thanks for the help - really appreciate it.