sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    I think Kingfish is fine for dipping a toe in the water. Investing is like learning French - add a little knowledge every day and fluency will increase over time. Once you have shares, suddenly they and their sector get a lot more interesting.

One thing you could do is look at sectors, eg retirement, retail, infrastructure. Set up a mock portfolio on ASB or ANZ Securities and watch the companies and their announcements for a while.

A question - are you looking to buy a property? That might change what you do. However, renting even forever might be a good option - you sound like an excellent tenant who will usually be top of a landlord's list. Plus rent is probably cheaper than home ownership, with no maintenance hassles.
    Sadly I am not in a position to now ever be able to own my own home. I don't have enough earning capacity to save the required deposit, and I don't have enough working years left to service a large enough mortgage to purchase a house (a mortgage broker and my bank have confirmed this). So I have to face the reality that I'm stuck renting. Having owned my own home in the past (with my ex pre divorce) I have to say renting sucks but facing the reality of one's situation is, I think, the first step in any financial planning process. Miracles do happen but I'm definitely not banking on one!

Thank you for the comment re Kingfish - "dipping my toes" is exactly how I'm looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    The other thing to consider, in addition to how you wish to invest, is to see if you can find ways to get your savings rate up a little. A higher saving rate, particularly while you have relatively little capital, will make a huge difference to your outcomes [SNIP}
    Thanks for the links. I will definitely check them out

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Bear in mind that some posters have certain vendettas against some people. That post 266 on the above thread is by such a person. He pops up in a number of threads with a similar stance.
    'Vendettas' is an emotive term. I appreciate some balance to the rah-rah-ramping. It's not substantiated, as he points out KFL has underperformed by over 130% against NZX50 since listing in 2004. That's a 12 year time frame - not much more than the 10 year one that op is working to. What odds a repeat performance in the next decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    'Vendettas' is an emotive term. I appreciate some balance to the rah-rah-ramping. It's not substantiated, as he points out KFL has underperformed by over 130% against NZX50 since listing in 2004. That's a 12 year time frame - not much more than the 10 year one that op is working to. What odds a repeat performance in the next decade?
    Yes, I get what you're saying. But for someone who has very little to invest (on the scale of things) Kingfish is performing well enough for me to make some growth on my investment. While I might make a better growth on NZX50 I don't really have enough to invest to take advantage of that better performance - can I buy enough shares for the amount I spent on Kingfish, to make any real headway?

Plus for me, the regular dividend policy made this an attractive way to achieve further shares to build my holding.

Is my thinking wrong?
    Last edited by justakiwi; 13-08-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Advanced Member

Hi justakiwi,
    I suggested reading for education , you mentioned online courses etc . If you are unable to get books from a library hopefully percy will forgive me for this .
    But from ukbookdepositry.co.uk ( free postage ) could I suggest 2 books
    Market Wizards- ( the original one not new mw)
    How to make money in stocks - William J O'neil

Pay particular attention to the discipline each trader has ,this is key to success in the market imo.

Best money you will ever spend Stoloss will even give you a money back guarantee on them

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Hi justakiwi,
    I suggested reading for education , you mentioned online courses etc . If you are unable to get books from a library hopefully percy will forgive me for this .
    But from ukbookdepositry.co.uk ( free postage ) could I suggest 2 books
    Market Wizards- ( the original one not new mw)
    How to make money in stocks - William J O'neil

Pay particular attention to the discipline each trader has ,this is key to success in the market imo.

Best money you will ever spend Stoloss will even give you a money back guarantee on them
    Thank you! Will check these out too

There seem to be a number of different versions (slightly different titles) of "How to make money in stocks" - any one in particular?

Actually there are multiple versions of both books - can you tell me which version of both you would recommend please? Thanks!
    Last edited by justakiwi; 13-08-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Advanced Member

Try some of Martin Hawes books (library) - I liked his Twenty Good Summers.

Broker sites usually have good info on investing, eg anzsecurities.co.nz, under Client Services at the bottom of the page.

This is from the NZX site:

Information on Investing
    You can find a number of helpful introductory information sources online. The independent Retirement Commission provides information on different strategies for saving and investing, including in securities. See www.sorted.org.nz for more information.

Additionally, the Financial Markets Authority provides information specific to investing at www.fma.govt.nz/consumers/investment-basics .

Hi Justakiwi,
    Investing is hard, discipline and research is essential.
    Buffet recommends people invest in ETF's instead of trying to pick winners. You may not beat the market but you will beat most fund managers.
    Only 15% of people can consistently beat the market.
    Combine these with some TA will put you on the right path I think.
    Good luck and all the best.

Utilizing dividend re-investment plans is a good way to compound your growth and with four dividends a year this also helps. One thing you will find on this forum is a broad spectrum of views and it will be obvious that many posters will be in a different position and circumstances to yourself so wise to read everything with a judicial viewpoint. My only comment would be to try and achieve some variety in your choices so you have a good diversified portfolio. How diversified ? Maybe not more than 10% in any one share. Since your circumstances require you to be a bit conservative, this could even out the chances of having a dud. If you are careful with your choices and timing you should be able to do several percentage points better than a TD without too much risk. As others have said keep researching and learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Yes, I get what you're saying. But for someone who has very little to invest (on the scale of things) Kingfish is performing well enough for me to make some growth on my investment. While I might make a better growth on NZX50 I don't really have enough to invest to take advantage of that better performance - can I buy enough shares for the amount I spent on Kingfish, to make any real headway?

Plus for me, the regular dividend policy made this an attractive way to achieve further shares to build my holding.

Is my thinking wrong?
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Utilizing dividend re-investment plans is a good way to compound your growth and with four dividends a year this also helps. One thing you will find on this forum is a broad spectrum of views and it will be obvious that many posters will be in a different position and circumstances to yourself so wise to read everything with a judicial viewpoint. My only comment would be to try and achieve some variety in your choices so you have a good diversified portfolio. How diversified ? Maybe not more than 10% in any one share. Since your circumstances require you to be a bit conservative, this could even out the chances of having a dud. If you are careful with your choices and timing you should be able to do several percentage points better than a TD without too much risk. As others have said keep researching and learning.
    Yes figuring out how to create diversity is a bit of a "head scratching" activity right now. Given the small amount I have to invest (which will grow but still be small compared to most) - I really have no idea what the best option is from here on. Am I better to focus on building my Kingfish holding to (say) 5000 shares, before I look at alternatives? Or should I be looking at company no:2 for my next saved $1000-2000? As per my previous posts I like the concept of ETF but there are so many to choose from - hypothetically, if I were to go with Smartshares, how do I decide which fund to go with? (SmartLarge, SmartSmall, SmartDividend etc; and then NZ, AUS, US etc). Right now I'm leaning towards SmartDividend (assuming dividends can be reinvested) as that seems like a good way to grow my small holding.

Lots to think about and lots more learning needed. Thanks for the help - really appreciate it.