sharetrader

Default Getting started with share buying

I'm thinking of getting into share trading having read one of Martin Hawes books on this. The idea is to create income creating assets to gradually replace the Income we get from salaries.
    the strategy I was thinking of was to slowly buy blue chip low risk shares that are going to provide a consistent return, or until I build up enough knowledge to be a bit more adventourous
    id appreciate any advice on this strategy or on getting started in the share trading
    cheers alastair

Guru

how much cash are you talking? Similar thread going on here: http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...r-starting-out so you might want to jump onto that one.

If you are only talking small amounts at the start, maybe look at a EFT like FNZ or OZY, and then move into individual stocks once you have a bit more knowledge and money.

Permanent Newbie

Attempting to do my own research as advised. This seemed a likely thread to use.

How do you get the information from a pdf of an annual report to an excel spreadsheet, I am trying to put together results over a number of years. Just the financials. Does anyone do this and have advice how they do it efficiently.

Currently copy and paste not working well and re entering figures time consuming.

Also AlastairC if you are still out there how did you get on with your strategy? 5 years later you could give us some advice and tell us how it worked out.

Advanced Member

There are lots of pdf to xls converters, usually free to try.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Also AlastairC if you are still out there how did you get on with your strategy? 5 years later you could give us some advice and tell us how it worked out.
    Looks like he hasn't been back unless it was as a guest.

AlastairC
    Junior Member 16-08-2016 1 19-08-2016
    01:49 PM

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    There are lots of pdf to xls converters, usually free to try.
    Which one would you recommend?

Not usually keen on loading new software as they always want to change things like default settings, but need to stop being a luddite

Permanent Newbie

Thanks Artemis I tried adobe, they have a free version but I probably will need to start paying $3 a month for it. Will see how far the free trial takes me. Converting a few 100 page annual reports will probably get me noticed.

Pity I can't cut it down to the just the financial reports before converting, I can read all the rest on screen.

I probably can and will have a go.

Maybe I can copy and paste from pdf straight into excel or to word then excel.

Then I need to decide what information I am trying to glean to put a price on the business.

Getting tired already just thinking about it.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Which one would you recommend?

Not usually keen on loading new software as they always want to change things like default settings, but need to stop being a luddite
    Try this, from Adobe who developed the PDF.