sharetrader

Default Rules for dividend reinvestment plans

As you know I've been doing a lot of reading and researching lately and today I stumbled across an article about the benefits of DRIP. All of which I understand and agree with, apart from this statement:

"The shares sold through the DRIP are taken out of the company's share reserve. DRIP shares cannot be sold on the market; when investors are ready to sell their DRIP shares, they must sell them back to the company that issued them at the current market price."

Is this correct? I was under the impression that shares achieved via DRIP were equal to all other shares and you could do what you liked with them eg: sell on the secondary market later if you chose to.

This was from a site called Investopedia which would appear to be US based so maybe things are different over there. I hope so.

Yes Investopedia are American. DRP shares are equal to ordinary shares and you can sell them with same. I have never HAD to sell mine back to the company - they just go somewhere else along with the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by stones View Post
    Yes Investopedia are American. DRP shares are equal to ordinary shares and you can sell them with same. I have never HAD to sell mine back to the company - they just go somewhere else along with the ordinary.
    Cool. Thanks!