sharetrader
Page 129 of 239 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2390
    ... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by Greekwatchdog View Post
    Sounds good doesn't it? but they get other wood products elsewhere. Head winds coming up on supply chain. Bloody headaches
    Now that we're all aware and primed, next comes the 'inevitable' price rises... so much for the affordable housing goal/pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Now that we're all aware and primed, next comes the 'inevitable' price rises... so much for the affordable housing goal/pipe dream.
    Contact in the industry tells me to expect 10% to 15% increase in May as increase in China demand has already pushed up export prices hugely.

Wasn’t that long ago we were bemoaning collapsing log prices.

Mountains of logs sitting on the wharves and processing mills closing and hundreds out of jobs. (Napier Port IPO going to fail because of this blah blah)

Not very good at managing commodity cycles and thinking long term in NZ are we?

Not very good
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Wasn’t that long ago we were bemoaning collapsing log prices.

Mountains of logs sitting on the wharves and processing mills closing and hundreds out of jobs. (Napier Port IPO going to fail because of this blah blah)

Not very good at managing commodity cycles and thinking long term in NZ are we?

Not very good
    Agree wholeheartedly, W69.

Lack of long term thinking is why almost all of private NZ forestry plantations are owned by foreign interests.

One of my forestry contacts (huge overseas investor) used to lament how NZers cut down plantation trees, ship it as logs and then, cannot be bothered to replant given the 20 to 30 years investment horizon.

BTW - FBU is now majority owned by Australian institutions with NZ investors making up less than 30% of its share register. What an indictment on short term thinking.

Covid screwed the market. So few suppliers world wide at the mo. China taking our logs and setting the price in NZ by doing so. I have 2 x 5% increases coming over the next 2 quarters. Can't recall last time I saw a decrease. Hopefully/maybe we will see a normal supply chain start this time next year. I did read the other day that Russia is stopping exporting so it can localize their own market and create more businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly, W69.

Lack of long term thinking is why almost all of private NZ forestry plantations are owned by foreign interests.

One of my forestry contacts (huge overseas investor) used to lament how NZers cut down plantation trees, ship it as logs and then, cannot be bothered to replant given the 20 to 30 years investment horizon.

BTW - FBU is now majority owned by Australian institutions with NZ investors making up less than 30% of its share register. What an indictment on short term thinking.
    I think it all started with sir rob offering election bribes and canning the retirement savings. We cant turn back the clock on that but we would have had a massive fund to buy banks and longterm forestry blocks. I also wonder at the logic of the nz super fund that invests its money offshore to 'diversify' when there are needs and opportunites here.
    Last edited by Habits; 28-03-2021 at 10:35 AM.

705 and powering on. Higher profits through rising materials prices perhaps

Just realised at less than 5 percent of portfolio I dont have enough of these... darn

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Just realised at less than 5 percent of portfolio I dont have enough of these... darn
    All the opportunity in the world last year to buy as much as you wanted at under $3.50!