sharetrader

Default Superlife "Mix your own"

I have been doing some serious thinking over the past week or two and have decided that right now, the best "next step" option for me is a Superlife individual superannuation fund, running alongside my existing Kiwisaver. I think that this is the way to go until I can build enough capital to perhaps consider another direct purchase of some additional shares. Unlike Kiwisaver its not tied up until I'm 65 - I can access the funds anytime I need to (in the event of an emergency any time down the track.)

At the moment I'm looking at their "mix your own" option - which gives me the option of picking which funds I want to include in my overall "package" in order to create some good diversity and growth.

The "mix your own" options include their 6 Managed funds and their individual sector funds and ETFs as below:

Individual Sector

Cash
    NZ Bonds
    Overseas Bonds
    Overseas non-Government Bonds
    Property
    NZ Shares
    Australian Shares
    Overseas Shares Currency Hedged
    Overseas Shares (Unhedged)
    Emerging Markets
    Gemino
    UK Cash
    UK Income
    UK Shares/Property

ETF

NZ Cash ETF
    NZ Bond ETF
    Global Bond ETF
    NZ Dividend ETF
    NZ 50 Portfolio ETF
    NZ Top 10 ETF
    NZ MidCap ETF
    NZ Property ETF
    Aust Top 20 Leaders ETF
    Aust Dividend ETF
    Aust Financials ETF
    Aust Property ETF
    Aust Resources ETF
    Aust MidCap ETF
    Total World ETF
    US S&P 500 ETF
    Europe ETF
    Asia Pacific ETF
    US Growth ETF
    US Value ETF
    US MidCap ETF
    US Small ETF
    Emerging Markets ETF

I would appreciate some general advice around which of the above I would be best to choose as my initial 3-4 funds. I keep looking at the Total World ETF and thinking it would be a sensible choice for diversity. I also like the look of the Aust Dividend ETF. Given that initially, the amount I will be investing will be small (will then be making regular monthly investments) - is there any need to include Bonds/Cash at this stage? Would I be best to just choose two funds for now and add another couple a bit down the track once I've built up a decent balance?

I know you can't tell me what to do but if anyone is willing to give me some guidance here I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 05-09-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Guru

HI Justakiwi.

I also use the mix a fund but do that for my Kiwisaver. Just be careful that with some of the ETF's that you check what is in the fund. I am not sure but I think the Aussie high div may be just a mismash of the top 50. But do not quote me on that. Also check on the fees that they charge. You can also buy these funds directly on market (the Australian market offers this) and this will save you some of the fees, but might be a bit harder to drip feed money into them. I know superlife just piggy back on the back of the Vanguard products....
    As far as how you want to mix things up that is up to you. Traditional theory will tell you that all you need to do is hold the All world ETF but some people are more comfortable with having more exposure to the country they live in and or a mixture of some bonds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    HI Justakiwi.

I also use the mix a fund but do that for my Kiwisaver. Just be careful that with some of the ETF's that you check what is in the fund. I am not sure but I think the Aussie high div may be just a mismash of the top 50. But do not quote me on that. Also check on the fees that they charge. You can also buy these funds directly on market (the Australian market offers this) and this will save you some of the fees, but might be a bit harder to drip feed money into them. I know superlife just piggy back on the back of the Vanguard products....
    As far as how you want to mix things up that is up to you. Traditional theory will tell you that all you need to do is hold the All world ETF but some people are more comfortable with having more exposure to the country they live in and or a mixture of some bonds as well.
    Thank you - that was really helpful!

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

What is "Gemino"?

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    What is "Gemino"?
    I don't see any mention of Gemino in this thread so I have no idea what you're asking (or why)

Oh never mind. I see it now. Hadn't noticed it in that list before.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 08-09-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Guru

What is "Gemino"?
    From memory, Gemino is there very aggressive, actively managed fund.

What is "Gemino"?
    It's currently these securities:

PEB WDTPA BLT CAV WDT SRX ABA AWK PAY HXG TRU
    IIL LCT AHZ LYC