sharetrader
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Kim Dotcom Hearing

I am beginning to wonder why this is not being reported by the news media.
    One of the most important extradition cases in history and I cant find anything from the news media.
    Does Hollywood control our media?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I am beginning to wonder why this is not being reported by the news media.
    One of the most important extradition cases in history and I cant find anything from the news media.
    Does Hollywood control our media?
    Haven't we heard enough about him already .... ?

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I dont like the guy and dont want to hear about him-or john banks or others who accepted his cash-?bribery.
    What I really want to see is how are justice system works and if our media is controlled

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I dont like the guy and dont want to hear about him-or john banks or others who accepted his cash-?bribery.
    What I really want to see is how our justice system works and if our media is controlled

The case is being live streamed. Not sure how the media can control that.

Quote Originally Posted by mccollr View Post
    The case is being live streamed. Not sure how the media can control that.
    They(USA via manipulating nz system)tried to stop it in court
    Sounds as if they failed.
    However I dont have the time to listen to a day of court hearing.
    Curious as to why our media is not publishing a summary?

regarding the MSM media, i think the media is quite left wing biased.
    since KDC tried to get the right wing out of power......
    my assumption is that the left leaning media is protecting left leaning KDC.
    just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    regarding the MSM media, i think the media is quite left wing biased.
    since KDC tried to get the right wing out of power......
    my assumption is that the left leaning media is protecting left leaning KDC.
    just my opinion
    Protecting him, really. IMHO they have been a chief factor influencing public opinion against him into a what most now consider a social pariah.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Curious as to why our media is not publishing a summary?
    From what i have heard it is very boring. Same old repetitive technical but dull legal argument.

Also nz media is currently far more interested in telling us about Colin Craig. - a few lessons on how to write love poetry to be had there.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    From what i have heard it is very boring. Same old repetitive technical but dull legal argument.

Also nz media is currently far more interested in telling us about Colin Craig. - a few lessons on how to write love poetry to be had there.
    To be kind to the media that could be the reason

However I dont believe our media is kind.
    In my opinion we have an internationally important case in which we have acted illegally-even John Key has apologised for this.
    It should be a civil case and not criminal.
    Justice has to be seen to be done.
    All I want is a brief summary-after all I could be wrong and NZ and USA could be acting fairly and legally.
    Will USA treat him fairly if he is extradited?

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    That Link is so amusing to me-many thanks minimoke.

Sounds like the crown doesn't want too much exposure
    Buzz on the livestream so no one can hear-coming from outside the court
    -There’s more: a third party has apparently been mirroring the stream and posting it on YouTube. Crown lawyer Christine Gordon is concerned there may be “a subversion in effect of Your Honour’s orders”. But fear not! Mansfield’s team are going to alert YouTube and get the scoundrel’s rogue stream dammed to eternity.

I've watched a hour or so on a few days. Its tedious , reminds me of Dickens Bleak House Jarndyce vs Jarndyce.
    Today they spent a long time reviewing a US case from the 60's involving the transportation of bootlegged copies of Elvis Presley music interstate. This was to demonstrate that the US courts have never considered copyright breaches as being a felony and thus not extraditable.
    The detail they go into in explaining these cases is laborious and tiresome , you'd have to have dedication to watch it all.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I've watched a hour or so on a few days. Its tedious , reminds me of Dickens Bleak House Jarndyce vs Jarndyce.
    Today they spent a long time reviewing a US case from the 60's involving the transportation of bootlegged copies of Elvis Presley music interstate. This was to demonstrate that the US courts have never considered copyright breaches as being a felony and thus not extraditable.
    The detail they go into in explaining these cases is laborious and tiresome , you'd have to have dedication to watch it all.
    True but I guess they have no alternative.
    I did find the bit about the 7 year old safe harbour legislation put in by congress that safeguards ISP against criminal charges a revelation.
    Dotcom didnt steal content but hosted content-as many ISP do.This has been safeguarded by congress aginst criminal charges
    Judge Dawson and the Herald dont seem to understand it.
    Dont expect the Herald to report on it misleading the NZ public
    From David Farrar in an eitorial in the Herald-

8, 2015 4:00PM BY DAVID FARRAR
    Herald calls for Dotcom to go
    The Herald editorial:

New Zealanders ought to be able to find Judge Dawson’s 271-page decision online as easily as they can download movies and music and other copyrighted material. It explains the methods allegedly used by Dotcom’s Megaupload site to store such material and even reward those who did so. It is said to have provided multiple URL links to the same material and when it received a take-down notice from a copyright owner, it is said to have removed only the offender’s link, not the material.

Again I recommend people read the decision. The way Mega was run bears almost no resemblance to You Tube or Dropbox. in fact they stole hundreds of thousands of videos from You Tube to act as camouflage for what they were really doing – paying people to share commercial copyrighted movies.

It may be that these sort of practices are technically legal but it is in the interests of content providers and users that we find out. We cannot find out until Dotcom goes to the US and faces trial. He should go now.

Interesting that Dotcom claimed to be starved of funds, yet he is also saying they will fight all the way to the Supreme Court. That would suggest he in fact has plenty of funds available for his legal case