sharetrader
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    The press, in this country and others, publish any "news" that is likely to have any interest for their readers or is likely to bring new readers. Dotcom has long passed into the realm of "nobody gives a stuff anymore"
    6000 people tune in to this case daily Hartley call that " nobody gives a stuff anymore"

498,000 followers on twitter alone.
    The media are choosing not too erport it.
    I cant agree with Craic that its due to lack of interest.
    The press publishes so much rubbish everyday that can be of no interest to anyone with intelligence.
    Kim Dotcom,despite his failings,is human and intelligent.
    It doesnt take much to realise why the press isnt reporting this landmark and fascinating case

Dotcom has long passed into the realm of "nobody gives a stuff anymore"
    Dotcom aside, how can this case not be of vital interest.

It firstly touches on our dodgy copyright law amendment which presumes a person is guilty unless they can show otherwise. And allows people to snoop on our Internet use.

And then there is the issue of the nz justice system trumping up charges and using excessive force to arrest and detain a citizen at the behest of the USA - and as i understand it, just the USA media moguls.
    Last edited by minimoke; 16-09-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Did my best to try and watch some of teh live stream today - but it sure gobbles up my data.

Have to say I can see why the media isnt there. Boring! Jeez talk about watching paint dry being more exciting. Very slow progress and essentially seemed to be recapping previous issues and trying a few things on. Judge seemed onto it. You would need a lot of data. a lot of time and a lot of patience to glean much at this pace. Still no excuse for a lack of media presence = someone oiught to be reporting it.

Also have to say the live streaming is great. Audio and video high quality. Probably no reason now why other trial shouldn't be live streamed. Though who owns the copyright on this stream? Be a laugh if it belonged to Dotcom and Justice Dept failed to secure copyright holders rights post trial.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Did my best to try and watch some of teh live stream today - but it sure gobbles up my data.

Have to say I can see why the media isnt there. Boring! Jeez talk about watching paint dry being more exciting. Very slow progress and essentially seemed to be recapping previous issues and trying a few things on. Judge seemed onto it. You would need a lot of data. a lot of time and a lot of patience to glean much at this pace. Still no excuse for a lack of media presence = someone oiught to be reporting it.

Also have to say the live streaming is great. Audio and video high quality. Probably no reason now why other trial shouldn't be live streamed. Though who owns the copyright on this stream? Be a laugh if it belonged to Dotcom and Justice Dept failed to secure copyright holders rights post trial.
    What normally happens of course is that the media sits through important trials and reports with highlights at the end of the day missing out the tedium.They are deliberate in choosing to ignore this trial yet were gleeful at the district court level when dotcom failed to prevent extradition.
    This time we see to have a judge prepared to listen and question.He seems to meet my expectation of a judge.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kees View Post
    6000 people tune in to this case daily Hartley call that " nobody gives a stuff anymore"
    I have visited this thread numerous times since your post and there is only one other on there at any given time Chippy accounts for several of those visits and 6000 per day requires four a minute, day and night. Tell me how you get your figure?

I have visited this thread numerous times since your post and there is only one other on there at any given time Chippy accounts for several of those visits and 6000 per day requires four a minute, day and night. Tell me how you get your figure?

Sounds like its question time
    How many people read the Herald editorial on the 28/12/16? calling for Dotcom to go

"New Zealanders ought to be able to find Judge Dawson’s 271-page decision online as easily as they can download movies and music and other copyrighted material. It explains the methods allegedly used by Dotcom’s Megaupload site to store such material and even reward those who did so. It is said to have provided multiple URL links to the same material and when it received a take-down notice from a copyright owner, it is said to have removed only the offender’s link, not the material.

Again I recommend people read the decision. The way Mega was run bears almost no resemblance to You Tube or Dropbox. in fact they stole hundreds of thousands of videos from You Tube to act as camouflage for what they were really doing – paying people to share commercial copyrighted movies."

I am sure no one can remember
    But Herald editorials shape the way many think and behave and then we come to believe it.
    Judge dawsons decision was 60% word for word the prosecution case.
    Hardly a fair editorial.
    Now we have a judge doing what judges are supposed to do and giving a fair hearing and asking questions to verify the prosecution allegations and actually letting the defense present their case.
    The Herald has gone strangely silent.
    Craic thinks its because people have lost interest.
    I wouldnt presume to know what people think but I do know this is a landmark case of interest to many .
    Maybe a small article on the back page-just some reporting on what is happening.It doesnt need to be an editorial

An interesting aspect of the Dotcom debacle is the motivation of the new regime in the US JustUs Department.

A prime motivation for the old regime was using the Kim Dotcom as a bogey man to rustle up Democrat Party donations from the Hollywood luvies.

With the luvies denouncing the new President from the rostrum at awards ceremonies will he be attentive to their complaints about a fat German copyright pirate in far off New Zealand?

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Theres something smelly about our justice system. If you go to court to defend copyright issues how can the court come back and say, essentially, " you are fine on the copyright but we'll ping you for fraud instead". When did KDC get to defend "fraud"?

Veteran novice

The BBC is reporting the decision as a "conspiricy to commit copyright infringement" despite copyright infringement not being grounds for extradition from NZ. Very odd!
    Last edited by macduffy; 21-02-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: "extadition" not "deportation"

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Theres something smelly about our justice system. If you go to court to defend copyright issues how can the court come back and say, essentially, " you are fine on the copyright but we'll ping you for fraud instead". When did KDC get to defend "fraud"?
    http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/pol...otcom-inquiry/

I agree, classic pivot, its not looking good for our justice system.
    Last edited by Raz; 21-02-2017 at 09:14 AM.

And given copyright isn't something you can be extradited on, police had no authority to raid his house. Seems more of a win to KDC to me

trouble is kdc can now sue for unlawful arrest and confiscation of property that was earning heaps as well as lots cash.
    we could be paying out billions.....
    Just hope the Justice minister has enough sense to drop Hollywoods arrow and negotiates a neutral settlement

Advanced Member

KDC wants NZ nationality. He hasn't got a dogs show now.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    trouble is kdc can now sue for unlawful arrest and confiscation of property that was earning heaps as well as lots cash.
    we could be paying out billions.....
    Just hope the Justice minister has enough sense to drop Hollywoods arrow and negotiates a neutral settlement
    I dont care for Kimdotcom-in a way I feel he is getting what he deserves for what he has done.
    However I do care about justice and openness.
    Our justice system has been unfairly and unlawfully influenced by Hollywood and the FBI.
    The police and I believe John Key have not told the truth.
    Last month the police reached a confidential settlement with Dotcom for his unlawful arrest.They knowingly told us all lies about it.

This settlement would have been for millions.
    It is our money derived from Taxes.
    I would like to know about it