sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    certainly their price has decreased to reflect some change in their value.
    As a TNRHB bondholder myself I am not worried. The chance of a serious downturn in the second hand vehicle market between now and the end of September 2018, when the TNRHB bonds mature, I believe, is low. But if these Turners TNRHB bonds are replaced by TNRHC bonds, something which I believe is likely, then I think the 'capital risk' for those new bondholders is a non trivial risk that definitely should be considered.

If the current interest rate of 6.5% is carried over, this is not out of line with Turners declared 'interest margin' of near 9%. After all, Turners have to gather the loans scrutinise the people they loan to source the cars that the loans are written for - all stuff that bondholders don't have to deal with. But if you look at the Turners finance division on its own (not the whole company) then the interest margin rises to some 16%. So I would have to think hard whether any such bond return offered is a fair slice of the pie, given the capital risk on the block.

If:

1/ Turners achieve their goal of $250m in syndicated loans AND
    2/ the bond pool remains at $25m THEN
    3/ $20m of those bonds become subject to securitized loan default risk.

It appears that Turners bond holders will be first in line for being hit by any market risk fall out. This means an 8% fall in the overall loan securitized portfolio value will result in a ($20m/$25m =) an 80% loss of capital by bond holders and the end of interest payments. That would be a worst case scenario. But even a 2% decline in the value of the securitized loan portfolio combined with an associated default in loan repayments would result in a 20% loss of capital for bondholders. That is a 'non-trivial' loss.

We don't yet know what the TNRHC bond rate offered will be. But I would have to think carefully whether receiving about 40% of the interest income from any loan deal, while shouldering most of the capital risk of a market downturn, is a deal worth taking up.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 08-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7