sharetrader
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Snoops ...are you sure thatbthe current listed Turners bonds have anything to do with the securisatation thing.

It seems that the other ‘bonds’ we are talking about (the 8%) are notes issued by the Trust to ‘buy’ the debt from Turners

Then I might be completely wrong
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Snoops ...are you sure that the current listed Turners bonds have anything to do with the securisatation thing.

It seems that the other ‘bonds’ we are talking about (the 8%) are notes issued by the Trust to ‘buy’ the debt from Turners

Then I might be completely wrong
    No I am not sure Winner. I am going by Fox's post on the TRA share thread which 'sounds' the most plausible explanation I have read so far.

Fox wrote p2358 on the TRA share thread:

-------

The distribution from the trust to Turner's has the lowest seniority after the more senior tranches are paid first. The reverse occurs for credit losses as well, any bad debts or impairments are covered by the lowest tranches first i.e. Turner's, then any remainder credit losses beyond that tranche are shared with the next tranche i.e. BNZ. This is why the finance receivables are still reported on the Group's balance sheet as they still retain the substantial risks and rewards of those loans.

The bonds referred to were the TRAHB sub notes of $25m that are held as security over the trust. These, along with other assets, provide that buffer to absorb any potential credit losses before BNZ up to the agreed upon 8% contribution by Turner's.

------

Fox sounded fairly sure of his facts.

My question to you Winner is that, if you are correct and the Trust issued notes to 'buy' the debt from Turners, why has there been no mention of these 'other' bonds in any announcement from Turners? I realise the trust is a separate legal entity from TRA. But TRA still carries the substantial risk from the trust. So just as the Trust receivables cannot presently be deconsolidated from the TRA results, I would expect the existence of any other bonds, including any issued by the trust, to be disclosed by TRA.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-06-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

I don’t really know Snoops ...just the way the SPV structure is outlined suggests the Trust issues some form of ‘Note’ to finance the purchases of the Receivables.

Maybe Fox was trying to explain too many things at once and we all got confused
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Don't muck around.
    Ring TRA's CFO Aaron Saunders [09] 308 4950 and get the correct answers.

Percy might be onto something there - hard to read into these types of debt / capital structures from the balance sheet sometimes.

Those bigger auto finance companies often use bankruptcy remote trust structures to raise capital and shuffle legal title / risk / assets to make those finances look better.

Be curious to know how TRA approaches it.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
    Percy might be onto something there - hard to read into these types of debt / capital structures from the balance sheet sometimes.

Those bigger auto finance companies often use bankruptcy remote trust structures to raise capital and shuffle legal title / risk / assets to make those finances look better.

Be curious to know how TRA approaches it.
    Welcome to the forum Enjay. The TNRHB bond issue has only 2.5 months to run. If it is replaced by a TNRHC bond issue (and that is an if) then that bond issue will have its own prospectus outlining underlying risks, and that should answer some of these questions. TRA are on record as saying they are re-examining the financial arrangements underlying the securitization of loans. Personally I am prepared to wait for them to do this, and ask any questions at that point.

Percy is a great investment enthusiast and has a penchant for going straight to the top. Personally I have found a carefully worded e-mail to investor relations gets me the answers I want. Not saying one approach is necessarily better than the other.

SNOOPY

Thanks for the welcome, Snoopy. Long time observer, first-time poster.

Also a TRAHB holder. For the benefit of others, TRA was very receptive to a web query. Mr Saunders himself replied. I had an issue with TRAHB bond registration. Mr Saunders arranged a waiver with Computershare specifically for a one transaction registration. Beyond impressed with the level of responsiveness.

Agree on the asking questions of future debt funding structures. Wonder if bonds with high yield are enough to entice capital without conversion / dilution options. Market certainly didn't behave anywhere near to what the issuer expected with that $3.75 conversion target!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The TNRHB bond issue has only 2.5 months to run. If it is replaced by a TNRHC bond issue (and that is an if) then that bond issue will have its own prospectus outlining underlying risks, and that should answer some of these questions. TRA are on record as saying they are re-examining the financial arrangements underlying the securitization of loans. Personally I am prepared to wait for them to do this, and ask any questions at that point.
    The TRAHC bond is a reality

https://www.turnersautogroup.co.nz/s...ust%202018.pdf

There are three principal differences to the outgoing bond.

1/ The interest rate has been reduced from 6.5% to 5.5%.
    2/ The bond term is now for three years not two years.
    3/ There is no option to convert to shares at the end of the bond term.

There are other smaller differences. The ranking diagram in terms of who gets repaid first shows that the bonds now rank behind the 'securitized loans' for repayment as well as the 'bank facilities'. It is true that Turners have been replacing some of those straight bank loans with packaged securitized loans. But the facts are the indicative loans to be repaid before bondholders are repaid totalled $169.221m two years ago. Now that figure is $363.913m (up 214%). It is also true that shareholder equity increased from $139.812m to $233.494m (up 167%) over the same period. So although the relative default risk of bonds has increased, the risk has increased by some 30%, not 214%!

Another change is to the 'Interest Coverage Ratio' (being the ratio of EBITDA to Total Interest) tested at the end of each quarter that needs to be kept.

TRAHB Bonds TRAHC Bonds
    TRA Non-Finance Covenant Group (*): EBITDA/I ratio 3.00 times
    Dorchester Finance Limited: EBITDA/I ratio 1.25 times
    Oxford Finance Limited: EBITDA/I ratio 1.25 times
    Turners and the Guarantors: EBITDA/I ratio 2.00 times

(*)The Non-Finance Covenant Group is Turners, Dorchester Turners Limited, Buy Right Cars(2016) Limited, Dorchester Life Trustees Limited, Buy Right Cars (2016) Limited, Dorchester Life Trustees Limited, DPL Insurance Limited, Emerald Gisborne Property Trust Management Limited (expected to be wound up), EC Credit Control (NZ) Limited, EC Credit Control (Aust) Pty Limited, Estate Management Services Limited, Payment management Services Limited, EC Web Services Limited, Dorchester RAMS Limited, Turners Group NZ Limited, Smart Group Services Limited, Turners Fleet Limited , Turners International Holding Limited, Turners Property Holdings Limited and Turners Smart Autocentre Limited. It does not include the bank borrowing companies Dorchester Oxford Limited, Turners Finance Limited and Southern Finance Limited.

I know that Turners are in the process of consolidating all their financial lending operations. This change may reflect just that. But the previous covenant arrangement specifically excluded the bank borrowing companies from the at 3.0 to 1 rate and put them on a ratio of 1.25 to 1. The finance operations companies contribute around 50% of earnings now. So if we used the 'old' covenant system we might expect an overall EBITDA/I ratio of (3+1.25)/2 = 2.125. My interpretation is that Turners is now on a slightly tighter leash. I wonder if that is related to the extra capital risk that Turners is taking by selling more of their loans as securitised loan packages back to the parent banks?

Personally the lower interest rate return, loss of the conversion option and the fact that the dividend yield on the head shares is now a good match for the fixed interest yield has put me off these bonds. It looks to me like buying the bonds retains the downside risk of the shares if the business goes sour but gives up any upside risk that a holding in the head shares will give you. To me, the head shares are now the more balanced risk investment option. But I am a hard mutt to please. This was my only bond market investment of any kind in my investment portfolio. I don't see myself returning to buy any bond in any company while interest rates remain so low.

SNOOPY

PS I notice this bond prospectus is being promoted by FNZC and the ANZ Bank, whereas with the last bond on more attractive terms no external promotion was required. I wonder if all that promotion will be needed this time?
    Last edited by Snoopy; 27-08-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks Snoopy, really appreciate your analysis. Terms unattractive for this mutt too. If the shares pay 16.5 cps in fully imputed dividends this year (16.5 / 0.72) = 22.92 cps gross that's a 7.85% gross dividend yield at $2.92, significantly better than the 5.5% offered by the bonds.

Of course if the shares keep performing like a mange and flea infested pig dog the shareholders might have wished they were bondholders.
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-09-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The TRAHC bond is a reality
    I guessed the name of the new bond incorrectly. If will be called 'TRA100'.

PS I notice this bond prospectus is being promoted by FNZC and the ANZ Bank, whereas with the last bond on more attractive terms no external promotion was required. I wonder if all that promotion will be needed this time?
    $25.0 million is the size of the new TRA100 bond pot. That is interesting because there was the stated ability to accept up to $5m in oversubscriptions, an option that was not taken up by Turner's management. Was it a hard sell? I saw no mention of allocations being scaled back. I wonder if those of you who applied on this forum got the full allocation they applied for? I see of the monies received, $20.2 million or 81% is from new holders. Or conversely only 19% was received from the old holders! That is a pretty poor rollover rate. I discussed this bond offer with a broker. The purpose was the possible take up of some for an elderly relative. The response? The broker did not like it for this situation. Said it was too deeply subordinated and only one step away from holding equity. Out of interest this broker works for FCNZ, the promoters of the bond! FCNZ and ANZ ended up filling the originally planned $20m capital sought though. No doubt to different investor horses running on other courses!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 08-12-2018 at 11:53 AM.